Is This Going To Become A Issue ?
Nov 14, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
But my real question is, this whole "headphone hobby" isn't going to become to much of an obsession is it? Like will I be able to just get these headphones love them and be done with it or will I be back on this website in March or April asking about some ATH-M50's or some ~200$ headphone. 

I'm 15 and I can't leave Head-Fi, you can try, but resistance is futile 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
I don't have the Shures yet. I may have been unclear but I meant I am getting them for Christmas. From what i've heard they are exactly what i'm looking for. I was just seeing if this would end up bring an addiction, if id end up looking for another pair of headphones in 4 months.

My SE535's may be the only headphone i dont ever sell, and ill ware them out until they die.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #18 of 30
I thought id keep you guys updated. Soo I bought some HD218 for 17 dollars, i'm using my moms hd205's until then.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 30
Well I was in your shoes a few years ago, I came here after my friend explained to me why he loved headphones. I came here and decided to buy some SRH840's, and ended up loving them and not coming back here for 6-8 months until I felt like there must be something better, though I found it very hard to believe. Now I've gotten into the world of speakers hoping to have a great system finished by Feb. You would think that a pair of headphones would be fine and you'd be done with it. But sadly, this is not the case, once you are exposed to what music is actually supposed to sound like, you think to yourself, could this actually sound even better? You will lose a lot of money along the way, but in the end you'll know it was worth it 
wink_face.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #21 of 30
I don't know, I disagree with the sentiment that you will never be satisfied with your setup. I started off a year ago with a pair of hd595s and a fiio e7/e9. Since then I've spent roughly $1500 on what most would call a mid-range setup, but I've heard other peoples $2000+ setups and flagships and I can't say that it sounds any better than what I'm rocking. Hearing some t1's and realizing that I preferred my hd650's just flat out killed my obsession to upgrade, I'm good where I'm at
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 30
I've got my 'dream' (realistic) rig pretty much down on paper now. I think it will make me more than satisfied at right around $14,000.

My absolute dream would be a full McIntosh rig but that won't happen (if ever) for at least 10 years. 

Just don't get into speakers (my latest mistake) or you'll be starting all over with much higher prices. :D

Quote:
I don't know, I disagree with the sentiment that you will never be satisfied with your setup. I started off a year ago with a pair of hd595s and a fiio e7/e9. Since then I've spent roughly $1500 on what most would call a mid-range setup, but I've heard other peoples $2000+ setups and flagships and I can't say that it sounds any better than what I'm rocking. Hearing some t1's and realizing that I preferred my hd650's just flat out killed my obsession to upgrade, I'm good where I'm at
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #23 of 30
Haha yeah im into headphones for a reason, im living In a dorm. My neighbors arn't to fond of my sub. My point though is that just reading head-fi id be under the impression that my setup is subpar and id always have the urge to upgrade. But having heard the truly hifi setups gave me some good perapective. Id sincerely advise newer head-fiers if they can to give a listen to these types of systems so they understand what they want and where this obsession leads. Take it from a new headfier whose spent far more than he's needed to over the past year.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 30
I used to rock a pair of SRM450 club monitors at my old place...The neighbors in the next house over complained...and their place was about 100 yards away... 
wink.gif

Quote:
Haha yeah im into headphones for a reason, im living In a dorm. My neighbors arn't to fond of my sub. My point though is that just reading head-fi id be under the impression that my setup is subpar and id always have the urge to upgrade. But having heard the truly hifi setups gave me some good perapective. Id sincerely advise newer head-fiers if they can to give a listen to these types of systems so they understand what they want and where this obsession leads. Take it from a new headfier whose spent far more than he's needed to over the past year.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #25 of 30
My Head-Fi journey began a little over a year ago when I got my hands on a pair of Sony MDR-XB40EX's and ditched my Skullcandy's. I couldn't believe how much I was missing. Listening to music became exponentially more fun. It couldn't have been more than a month and a half later that Amazon had a Gold Box deal on the Monster Turbine's. I just couldn't resist... so I bought a pair. Next came the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, maybe 3-4 months after the Turbine's. I wanted to try a full-size headphone and the M50's had been getting a lot of positive reviews. Over the summer I sold off my Turbine's and M50's, and got myself a fantastic pair of Sennheiser HD 25-1's.

Each time I upgraded, I told myself that I was satisfied, that these would be my last purchase.

I am now saving up for a pair of Denon D2000's.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #26 of 30
Well, according to my experience, It will be humble beginnings.
But before you know it, you'll end up craving more. Suddenly you wake up one morning and behold your glorious rig.
What was beats yesterday might be Stax tomorrow. It is all steps of interest. One big consolation is that this is way cheaper than speakers in the same increments.

It will not be an issue, it will be a journey. Enjoy the ride.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #27 of 30
One thing that I'm starting to realize is that once you have your 'glorious rig' it won't be glorious anymore...It'll just be the way you listen to music. 

It won't get devalued or anything but you'll settle in and only really notice how awesome it is when you listen to something worse again.

Quote:
Well, according to my experience, It will be humble beginnings.
But before you know it, you'll end up craving more. Suddenly you wake up one morning and behold your glorious rig.
What was beats yesterday might be Stax tomorrow. It is all steps of interest. One big consolation is that this is way cheaper than speakers in the same increments.

It will not be an issue, it will be a journey. Enjoy the ride.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 30
One thing that I'm starting to realize is that once you have your 'glorious rig' it won't be glorious anymore...It'll just be the way you listen to music. 

It won't get devalued or anything but you'll settle in and only really notice how awesome it is when you listen to something worse again.

It's not a big deal. You'll be excited over the "final" rig for a few months and then it'll settle in and become normal.

End of one journey and the beginning of another.

Gear lust dies off and then you can move on to exploring music. That lasts for a lifetime.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #29 of 30
I completely agree with this sentiment. I find that after I've listened to a new set of headphones for a couple months, the sound that they produce becomes the norm. This is when I start to nitpick, and when the oh-so-dreaded upgraditus kicks in. I need to listen to some iBuds to snap me back to reality, and to make me realize once more how lucky I am to have headphones that sound leaps and bounds above what most others experience.

Quote:

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #30 of 30
A good trick then, I suppose is to keep a not-so-stellar portable rig or something like it. Then coming home to the good rig will be a revelation every day.
I sure know I do.
Also listening to anything else brings out the joy in the main rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back