Is This Going To Become A Issue ?
Nov 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Jlox1

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I've headphone a lot of headphones in my day (none over 40$) i'm 15 but that can't stop me in my search for the best musical experience for myself. Now i'm not like any old 15 year-old you would meet. I refuse to buy some "skullcandy's" or "ifrogs, ibuds, iluv, or iwave" all overpriced garbage in my opinion. Oops did I forget to mention the Beats By Dre series? I'm a big hip hop listener so of course the first time i heard them I was in lovvvvveeeeeee lol I wasn't going anywhere without them. But friends started getting them so I got to listen more and i noticed all those headphones are just Bass, Bass, Bass so much that it takes away from the overall umm jist of the song. For example i know for a fact that J.Cole (My favorite rapper) didn't make his extravagant and sweet songs and beats just for me to hear the BASSSSSS! Anyways i decided to finally spend some money and buy myself a pair of Shure SRH750DJ's. They aren't what i looking for in my price range ~100$. But my real question is, this whole "headphone hobby" isn't going to become to much of an obsession is it? Like will I be able to just get these headphones love them and be done with it or will I be back on this website in March or April asking about some ATH-M50's or some ~200$ headphone. 

P.S : I have Owned some Sennheiser HD 201, 202, and 205. That's about it for my REAL headphones.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 30
Im 15 and i have the SE535's and im in love
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 30
I was somewhat in the same situation as you.

My first real headphone pick up at 16 was the akg k81s. Then went into some iems, cx300 and RE zero. Then got to the ath es7s about a year later. As of right now I'm saving up for a good 200-300 can. After the initial buy and learning of what headphones had to offer it can become a problem.

Best advice I could give is never go for small incremental upgrades. If the headphones you're going to buy are only 30-50 bucks higher than what you have I would say to save it up for something nice.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 30
Hate to tell you but it will become an obsession for most people. You're already in trouble being on Head-fi...

I think you might like the Koss ProDJ100. My favorite headphone under 200 dollars.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 30
I started off at under a hundred with Grado SR60i. Then I moved to a Sennheiser 598 which I returned. Then up to 300 for a Beyerdynamic DT 880. Then I sold those and here I am with a Beyerdynamic T1. This all happened within a year. Watch your wallet, my friend.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 30
Its not really going to stop..you will never be forever satisfied with your setup.

I started off with a Grado SR60i ($80) about two years ago thanks to head-fi. They served me well till a few months back, when I returned to the forums here.
since then I got an SR225i, SR325i, a portable amplifier...I've just started and I already have a major dent in my wallet.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 30
I actually see that you're in Houston...If you really want to get an idea of what you're getting into we're having a meet early next year...

Thread link is in my signature. 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 30
Yes, this is going to become an obsession. I was in the same boat as you when I was 13/14. I wanted something that made my music sound better than my stock Blackberry buds. I was just going to be done with it and buy some V-Moda Bass Freqs, but nope, I HAD to do more research. That led me to look at the Shure e2c, which were on sale for $60 at Target. Then I saw a review here saying they sucked, so no buy there. I ended up with an Audio Technica A500, which I liked. Then Beyerdynamic USA was blowing out some headphones for $20, so I bit. Then some dude was selling some AKG K271's for only $60...now I have more than 20 different headphones, and want way more (see profile). It's somewhat of a gearlust thing, but on the other hand, the OCD in me says I'm just am not completely satisfied with anything I have, and the Hifiman HE500 I had on loan still wasn't enough to solve ALL my cravings (the curses of liking a ton of stuff from completely different genres). And another part of me has gotten fascinated with the technical side, so if you're a science nerd, you're going to stay here a while. Then again, the less likely scenario would be that you're completely satisfied and leave for good, which never truly happens.

As for stuff you should try, well, I'm going to go off the norm and suggest you get a pair of Koss Portapros, half just because since they're pretty cheap, half for the fact that I really like hip hop with them. Then again I've messed with my pair so much I don't even remember how they actually sound. But what did you dislike about the Shures? Not enough bass? Too much treble? You could also go with a Creative Aurvana Live or the previously mentioned DJ100's, which are sold at every Best Buy I've been to.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 30
I don't have the Shures yet. I may have been unclear but I meant I am getting them for Christmas. From what i've heard they are exactly what i'm looking for. I was just seeing if this would end up bring an addiction, if id end up looking for another pair of headphones in 4 months.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 30
When you realize how much the sound can improve with a bit more money spent, then this will have you wondering what a couple hundred more dollars might get you.  Then you learn about headphone amps and DACs and your curiosity is piqued again and you spend more money.  This is how it usually goes.  

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 30
Well everyone right as I posted my last comment on here I found out my HD202's left earcup  is done playing music for me... So I either have to wait until christmas to ever listen to music portably again or buy some ~30$ quick headphonres, I think i'll go with some HD205's considering they cost 13-16$ used on Amazon.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
Well everyone right as I posted my last comment on here I found out my HD202's left earcup  is done playing music for me... So I either have to wait until christmas to ever listen to music portably again or buy some ~30$ quick headphonres, I think i'll go with some HD205's considering they cost 13-16$ used on Amazon.

No, get either this or this or this or maybe this. The HD205's are eh compared to the Stretch or Kosses, which have a lifetime warranty. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back