Is this fixable? (tripped over ATH-A500 cord)
Jun 10, 2007 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gregory_WE

New Head-Fier
Brought them to work and tripped over the cord cause I have my headphone stand @ home
frown.gif
Basically, the gold connector part got ripped out

Pics (sorry, webcam):

500-1.jpg

500-2.jpg

500-3.jpg

Just wondering if there's any easy fix (I've never fixed headphones or anything before though), cause I really like this set.

I bought them less than 2 years ago from Audiocubes, is there some way to send them back to the manufacturer and pay them to fix it? I'd rather pay a small sum to get them fixed rather than go buy a new pair of headphones when I already like these.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 18
I can't help with the problem, but I will make a comment on the time it takes to get a response.
blink.gif

Sometime it takes a while till someone who knows finally logs on, so a bit of patience can be helpful.....as well as someone to bump the question back up front!
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 18
Oh yeah, I can connect them back up and still get audio from them, just somewhat faint and distorted from what it should be.

I would think it could be as simple as getting a new plug for the end and somehow attaching it, since that's the only damaged part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help with the problem, but I will make a comment on the time it takes to get a response.
blink.gif

Sometime it takes a while till someone who knows finally logs on, so a bit of patience can be helpful.....as well as someone to bump the question back up front!
wink.gif

Thanks lol

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 18
You now have to either send them back and get them repaired by Audio Technica or send them to someone else to replug them with a different connector.

-Alex-

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 18
It looks like all you'll need to do is reterminate it. Its pretty simple even if you've never soldered before, basically you will have to cut off the plug there, strip a bit of the cable, and then solder the exposed cable to the new plug. The hardest part is knowing which is your right channel and which is your left. It should only set you back about five dollars too. Search the DIY forum for more help on the topic.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the info... how much would it cost to have someone else do it (minus shipping) or sending it back to AT?

I could probably do it myself though, so j/w. But, also, where would I get another plug? Maybe I'll go check the DIY forum and find that info there lol

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 18
yeah, this is fixable
just chop off the whole plug, order a new one, and resolder it.

edit: wow several new responses since I opened this thread... must have been sitting quite a while in my tabs...

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory_WE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info... how much would it cost to have someone else do it (minus shipping) or sending it back to AT?

I could probably do it myself though, so j/w. But, also, where would I get another plug? Maybe I'll go check the DIY forum and find that info there lol

Cardas sells some good quality connectors for around the $10 mark. The good thing about terminating the cable is that if you mess up, you can always cut off a bit of the cord, and try again. Plus, you'll get some great DIY experience for future projects.

Alternatively, I'm sure someone on Head-Fi would be willing to fix your Audio Technicas for you, and possibly for free if they're nice enough.

Good luck,
Nick

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 18
replacement plugs of perfectly acceptable quality for an A500 cost about two bucks at any electronics store. Once when I had no soldering iron handy I just patched in a plug from an old sony walkman headphone by twisting the wires together. Anybody you know with a soldering gun should be able to do this for you in a couple of minutes.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 18
That is exactly what you need. Only other thing you will need is a way to mechanically attach the wires. I'm sure someone on the forums can identify which wires are for which polarity and channel.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 18
Is either of those better than the other? Or does it really not matter.

Also, could I get a decently cheap soldering iron at radioshack that would be able to do the job? I don't want to spend all that much $$ but I figure maybe I'll use one at some point later on.

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get this one: Neutrik NYS231B

Thanks, and the shipping there is cheap also. Is there any soldering iron on that site that someone could recommend? And do I need to buy solder or does some come with the iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back