Is this chinese clone dac worth it?
Feb 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for a cheap little dac for my office. Saw this clone on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120668293560&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_8779wt_1122

I believe it's a clone of the Z-dac-1 which retails for about $850, seems like it might be a good deal?

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120668293560&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_8779wt_1122

I believe it's a clone of the Z-dac-1 which retails for about $850, seems like it might be a good deal?

Hi,

For $20 more you could get the NFB 3.... and believe me, this is worth every penny...

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-2/NFB2EN.htm

Simple question.... if you have problem with the DAC on ebay... what happens ??? With Kingwa of Audio-GD, rest assured, he'll take care of you...

Just my opinion....

Denys

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:

It's been my experience that most specialty audio gear being sold on eBay is usually being sold there (and not directly on a website somewhere or under a well established brand name) for a good reason. Often the gear being sold isn't really that great. I think a lot of the stuff on eBay is designed with the best intentions, but when it turns out to have some obvious problem, it ends up getting "liquidated" on eBay as way to get rid of the defective inventory without putting someone's brand name at risk.

I've tested several pieces of eBay gear that others have wanted me to test. And I've yet to find one yet that didn't have one or more serious problems. You can clone the exact schematic of a great piece of gear, using very similar components, but even getting the PC board layout wrong can seriously harm the performance.

DACs, in particular, are very sensitive to PC layout, grounding issues, power supply issues, etc. And it would be very easy for a company to get one or more of those things wrong even trying to copy another design.

And with eBay gear from Asia, the vendors know very well returns are difficult and expensive. And if you try to dispute a purchase with eBay, the seller can always just abandon that eBay account and make a new one next week. So it's really very different than buying from a well established dealer with an office and support people located in the country you live in.

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 16
just talked with a couple people who purchased, they all seem to think it's wonderful. One guy went as far as saying it is just as good as his benchmark dac-pre, and convinced some people he knew to buy it.

Guess ill give it a shot and report back

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Oh wow - the payment history.
This thing used to be worth $150 but the price soared to $280.
There's a lot of marketing on the page so I'd be kinda wary. 
AND...
according to that page, they say this isn't a clone dac, but the z-dac is a clone of their dac.
HMMM...

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:

Are you on the Audio-Gd's payroll?

Unlikely, but I am inclined to second his opinion.
No, no A-gd affiliation here either.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:

Are you on the Audio-Gd's payroll?

Why would you say such a thing ???? I just mentioned another solution....

I`m not on AGD payroll or any audio related company.... It just happens that I am very satisfied by both the product and the service of Audio GD.
Had the question being on headphone amp, I would have talked about the Woo products.....and I am not on Woo`s payroll either....

Denys

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
It's been my experience that most specialty audio gear being sold on eBay is usually being sold there (and not directly on a website somewhere or under a well established brand name) for a good reason. Often the gear being sold isn't really that great. I think a lot of the stuff on eBay is designed with the best intentions, but when it turns out to have some obvious problem, it ends up getting "liquidated" on eBay as way to get rid of the defective inventory without putting someone's brand name at risk.

i would have to respectfully disagree with that sweeping statement about ebay products. clones they maybe but its so mucked up now its hard to recognize the diamond from glass to determine who's cloning who. this i can safely say - most if not all of the low-mid end products are China made in 1 form or another. indeed alot North American brands use rebadged or china made & thats an economical fact whether we like it or not.

that aside, i recently ordered & received a 4xTDA1543 NOS DAC all for a grand total of $63 shipped. things been performing above & beyond all my expectations. a $63 DAC (actually its only $49.99 as rest is shipping) has no biznes sounding this good & if its not for the chinese biznes model, we'd never get to sample such wares.

so it wouldnt exactly be a surprize if the DAC opined here performs or even out performs the Benchmark DAC pre for 1/3 or less. to be honest, its not even surprizing anymore if it were to be shown that the DAC pre is a chinese rebadge! so OP don be put off cos its only an "ebay dac" & take it as an opportunity to try it out & give us a review/report on how well (or not) it works. thxs in advance for daring to contribute to the collective community - goodstuff!

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 16
I'd agree w/ the idea that ebay sellers can disappear anytime, and that all those unknown/supposedly OEM/clones are often only sold on ebay for a good reason. You get a DOA, you send it back to China on your cost, the ebay seller closes his account = SOL...and yes, I've seen it happening. $330 can buy you good sounding proven gear w/ a real warranty.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 16
I just got the Dac, haven't gotten the chance to test it yet because I'm still waiting on my amp to come in the mail-  the unit itself is built very well though, will update upon listening.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 16
Eleven years later I ordered a ZeroZone NOS DAC from AliExpress that's out for delivery. It's the model with the AD1865. It was a couple of hundred dollars with almost fifty of those dollars for DHL Express service. I honestly have no idea what to expect. I don't know if it'll sound worth a damn and die in a week or days. For that cost I figured, why not!? I'll try it out and if like it I'll use it and if it not I'll give it to a friend and they see if they like it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. My little Modi multibit and Modius have kept me happy for a long time. I'm a CD spinner and use an Audiolab transport. I also occasionally use a Philips 680 with a TDA1541A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 16
This ZeroZone DAC has far exceeded my expectations. Fit and finish is excellent. Solid build quality. Excellent packing. Best of all it sounds great right out of the box. I have no idea how reliable this thing will be but for the price it was worth the gamble. My Asgard 3 hasn't sounded this open with such a big soundstage with my Modi multibit, Modius, Modi 3, Bifrost 4490, Bifrost multibit, Topping D50s, or Cambridge DacMagic 100. For a cheap DAC it's a real surprise.
Sounds great with my Drop THX 789 too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back