Is this AVR enough for HD600s?
Mar 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Currentlypissed

New Head-Fier
Sup, been lurking this forum for awhile. Anytime I need my headphone info I always add to the search "head-fi" lol. Anyways, I've been looking for replacements for my Sennheiser PC350s forever now. They have been great (bass mod as well). They are really a great unit. But after time, you just have to move up ya' know? Anyways, I've been back and forth. Tried several units across the past year. And every time I've gone back to my PC350s. I've tried AKG 550s, BeyerDynamic DT770s, Momentums, AT700s, and more that I can't remember. None really were able to pull me away from the PC350s.

Anyways, I finally made the plung and picked up some HD600s. They are en' route currently so I can't post my expierence just yet. But I had a pretty basic question. I did plenty of searching and couldn't really find much. I currently use a Creative Sound Blaster Z. Which does have a dedicated 600Ohm dedicated Headphone Amp. But my PC350s I always preffered the sound from my Harman Kardon AVR 146. SnR is only 100db on it. While the creative is >105. I'm fairly confident the Creative can't drive them. So that thoughts not even there. But my question is do you think the H/K AVR146 will be ok? I mean, I remember in it's day being a fairly stout unit with discrete amps, twin power supplies.

Here's the actual specs on the receiver. But I'm not sure what it puts out through the Headphone Jack? It does do Dolby Headphone.

30 Watts x 5, five channels driven at full power at 8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, <0.07% THD, (surround modes); 150 watts total

40 Watts x 2, two channels driven at full power at 8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, <0.07% THD, (surround off mode); 80 watts total

Input Sensitivity/Impedance, Linear (High-Level): 200mV/47k ohms
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A): 100dB
Surround System Adjacent Channel Separation:
- Dolby Pro Logic I and II: 40dB
- Dolby Digital: 55dB
- DTS: 55dB
High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC): ±25 Amps
Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM): Unmeasurable
Slew Rate: 40V/µsec

High current capability, ultrawide bandwidth amplifier design with low negative feedback
All-discrete amplifier circuitry
Dual independent power supplies, for front and surround channels
Triple crossover bass management
24-Bit, twin-core Cirrus Logic CS 49510 DSP processor with 32-bit post processor
192kHz/24-bit D/A conversion
Sampling upconversion to 96kHz
Two-line dot-matrix front-panel display
Source input renaming
A/ V Sync Delay

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, you'll want a full specialized setup to get the best out of the HD600, but the H/K gear will drive it just fine.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks guys. I assume you both would agree the avr would be better to drive with rather than the z correct?

Unless it's got a really noisy DAC (usually H/K gear doesn't, but I don't have experience with that specific model), the AVR would definitely be the better option. However, don't be afraid to plug it into the Z if you really need to.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 9
just plug it in and see how it sounds to you. if you like the sound then that's all that matters. your amps should drive them fine. 300ohms nominal is not a very hard load at all.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 9
just plug it in and see how it sounds to you. if you like the sound then that's all that matters. your amps should drive them fine. 300ohms nominal is not a very hard load at all.

+1.

The amp on the Z is good for ~100 mW/channel, which is fine for the HD 600. But compare and contrast them if you're really worried about it - neither is going to break or be a "problem" - but you might like one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back