Is this Audio Technica M50 fake?
Mar 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:

On the other hand, mine were produced in 2010, which might account for some differences. Maybe.

Well, no one has been selling blue boxes online for the last 8 months. It is all white boxes now.
Some stores may still have blue boxes because they don't sell too good for full price (best buy) but online, you will never ever get a new one with blue box anymore if your buying from a good reseller.

Blue boxes that are torn up are usually Chinese, because no other reseller would beat up a box containing more than $100 worth of stuff.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 26
Compared the pictures to my M50 and I agree with everyone else, those are definetily fakes.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 26
Official M-50 picture from Audio Technica:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/dump_file.pl?file=http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/product_images/8f74e15654f9a446/orig/ath_m50_2.jpg

The conclusion everyone has drawn already is very obvious. What is very clear is when you look at the headband. Yours are total loose and don't have the tightness and symmetric shape from the authenthic M-50.

Scrathes here and there. White spots/dirt. Overall it looks very total loose!

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #19 of 26
Guys!!! Thank you so much for helping me out. Here are some updates.

When I told the seller that these are fake and he responded by saying he will issue the refund when I ship it back. My question is, do I have the right to ask him for the S/H fee or that is my own expense? I'm thinking that since this is a fake product that he's not supposed to sell in the first place, he should cover the S/H fee as well. Let me know what to do in this case.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 26
If he sold it on ebay, then it is considered a scam and you are to report it.
Report to ebay, talk to your paypal/bank etc watever you used to pay, and file an inquiry for scamming and get your money back. Then if I decided to be generous, I would give the headphones back.

jk jk I wouldn't do such awful things even if he did something awful to me.

I would do the following:
You can send him the stuff back but he pays return shipping and issues full refund. Then you report him to be a reseller of chinese products and ebay will block him. (ebay does not tolerate chinese resellers)
If he doesn't return your money, just file a claim that he has scammed you and you will get your money back.

`edit* some people that ended up with fake ATH-M50's also have got a partial refund and kept the fakes.
If you want to, you can ask to make a deal with him such as an 85% refund.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
If he sold it on ebay, then it is considered a scam and you are to report it.
Report to ebay, talk to your paypal/bank etc watever you used to pay, and file an inquiry for scamming and get your money back. Then if I decided to be generous, I would give the headphones back.

jk jk I wouldn't do such awful things even if he did something awful to me.

I would do the following:
You can send him the stuff back but he pays return shipping and issues full refund. Then you report him to be a reseller of chinese products and ebay will block him. (ebay does not tolerate chinese resellers)
If he doesn't return your money, just file a claim that he has scammed you and you will get your money back.

`edit* some people that ended up with fake ATH-M50's also have got a partial refund and kept the fakes.
If you want to, you can ask to make a deal with him such as an 85% refund.

I don't wanna keep this piece of junk. After 15 hrs of burn in, one of the sides stopped working. But he is supposed to pay for the return shipping right?

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #22 of 26
Well technically yes if he stated it.
If he didn't then get a full refund buy submitting an inquiry to paypal or whatever(tell them the whole story)
and report the reseller as reselling fake chinese products to ebay.

Maybe you should ask him to give you a refund and tell him if he doesn't, you will report him.
If that doesn't work, do the thing I stated above.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #23 of 26
I bought an almost new set from a fellow Head-Fier several months ago.  He supplied a copy of the original invoice showing he purchased it from an authorized dealer.

Yeah, those that you have either look like they've had some rough years of use, or they are fake.

You should have bought from a fellow Head-Fier.  You may have had to pay a little extra, but would have been 99% sure of getting real stuff.  People here are ostracized, maybe even banned (don't know how the admins feel about it),  for selling fakes and not warning people about it.

EDIT:

Oops, didn't read all the replies before my response above.  So.... erm... yeah.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 26
NicoleBurns91, please check the date of the threads you're posting in. This one was last active in March, and the SR60 one you posted in was last active in April; the thread starters would have almost certainly moved on by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back