Is this amp old news?
Oct 26, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice,

But for 2500$ that design looks flawed. Look how close the transformers are to the tubes.

Actually, when you think about it, the orientation of the transformers is such that the tubes are in a null of two magnetic fields of opposite phase. The power transformer setup 90 degrees to the output transformers is also correct procedure. But $2500 sure makes the wood the most expensive part.
icon10.gif
It's gotta' have spouse acceptance factor though.

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 13
That is a god awful aesthetic design. The trafos are ugly, and the big round knob makes it look like a hat they dug up in the attic of a vintage ladies' clothing shop. Ugh.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 13
It looks like cake.
biggrin.gif

Yummy birthday cake with tubes for candles?

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 13
To me it looks like a hat box with some tubes on top. Ugly looking thing.

Simon

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a god awful aesthetic design. The trafos are ugly, and the big round knob makes it look like a hat they dug up in the attic of a vintage ladies' clothing shop. Ugh.

I was thinking it looked like a little kids toy with everything overexaggerated.
I definitely agree the design is ugly, and the price is ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 13
Price is ridiculous? Have you heard it? I haven't -- and that's exactly why I won't comment on the price.

Maybe someone in the Atlanta area can go check them out?

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 13
it says:

"Koala W417/6AS7G IT coupled single-ended OTL headphone amp custom designed for the AKG K1000 earspeakers."

no specs. no pics of the back (wherever that is).

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 13
hey I'm not electrically inclined but why are there 3 transformers is this is not a transformer coupled amp? Most OTLs I have seen use a tranny for power but the tansformer coupled amps seem to have three one for power and one for each channel??

Oh and let's hear it before we dissmiss it if it is a really good k1000 amp then maybe $2500 is not bad compared to other top tier amps. I am a bit sceptical that 6sn7s can drive a k1000 I have not heard it done yet by this tube

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey I'm not electrically inclined but why are there 3 transformers is this is not a transformer coupled amp? Most OTLs I have seen use a tranny for power but the tansformer coupled amps seem to have three one for power and one for each channel??

Could be power supply chokes or interstage transformers (the IT in the description)
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back