Is there such thing as a perfect headphone?
Sep 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

nicolasete

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if there is any model of headphones or some other hardware setup that are perfect all-rounders. What I mean with this is that they have an amazing performance in movies, games and all kinds of music, from accoustic types (classical, jazz, cuban, etc) to more bass-heavy genres (electronic, trip-hop,...), as well as being comfortable during long sessions of use, sturdily built, durable, not leaking sound out and having a decent isolation, that is both detailed and fun, etc.

Also, other than this "perfect" headphone or setup (in case it exists), what do you think would come closest at reasonable, somewhat affordable prices?

(*word of someone who is considerably happy with his CALs but has never tryed anything better and therefore lies in total ignorance of the finer fruits of audiophile technology)

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 44
Depends on who you ask.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 44
So what about you for a start? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 44
From what you said I don't think a "perfect" headphone exist. Open headphones generally give a better sound but leak like a champ. Headphones that satisfy bass lovers will distort music where bass isn't prominent. Headphones that are deemed sturdy are generally heaver and will lessen the comfort over long periods of time. Also closed headphones don't allow air to flow around the ear causing them to heat up, this will also lessen the comfort over long periods of time.

Welcome to the world of headphones where most people own at least 2-3 go-to headphones depending on their mood. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 44
For under 300bucks :

if u dun have a serious dac/amp :

i  think....it is.....a.......

ya....ma.....ha....

MT 2  2   0.... with

AD700/AD2000 pancake flat velorpads.

---------------------------------------------------

if u have a decent dac/amp:

then a DT150 with  DT100velorpads

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 44

For under 300bucks :

if u dun have a serious dac/amp :

i  think....it is.....a.......

ya....ma.....ha....

MT 2  2   0.... with

pancakeflatvelorpads.

---------------------------------------------------

if u have a decent dac/amp:

then a DT150 with  DT100velorpads

Funny you say that because the DT150 were my first love when i joined head-fi a few years ago. I had not seen it at all in any buying list or in comments lately so i thought people had moved on and that there were better options.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 44
there is a thread on the dt150....
Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!

this can scales v well with better gears : dac..amp..cables..tubes.. etc.
it is balance, the drivers can reverb on your ears..
it can soar..it can seduce with vocals..
rock..jazz..orchestra..movies...it just keep pace with what u throw at it.
an superb inexpensive allrounder in my books.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 44
Sep 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 44
There is no perfect headphone in my point of view, or if there is one its always up to the taste of the individual. Same headphone can be perfect for me, but weird sounding according to your ears.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 44
Short of modding a headphone to fit your own preference, I don't think this can happen.

I have gotten pretty close to it, though, with my ATH-ES10.

I say close because now that I have gotten them to sound this clean, the difference between different sources become very apparent.

So since there is no headphone that can play well out of different sources, there is no such thing as a perfect headphone.

But as mentioned, there is a perfect setup, though. A setup that sounds so good that there is nothing to complain about.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 44
DT150 are pretty perfect for me- closed but open sounding and sound great with anything I've listened to. Although even these can feel a bit uncomfortable in hot weather so no but these are close IMHO

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 44
I have actually always been more concerned about sound leaking out of the headphones (waking people late at night, not letting others know what i'm listening too, avoiding extra noise in the microphone, etc.) than sound leaking in (which is actually not that bad, i find myself getting one of the earpads out of my ear so i can listen to what happens around me, in case I'm waiting for a visit, or a call or in case my flatmate burns half the kitchen -again-), so if that's actually a barrier when it comes to the search of a "perfect" headphone, you can leave it out.

I have always wanted to get open headphones but i honestly think i would be going back to my closed cans constantly and that's what makes me to always put that off (what's the point on spending a lot on open cans when I'm going to end up using my closed CALs most of the time?).

Anyways, you are making me want the DT150 again, dammit, i was already over this xD. I was wondering, what would be the next major step from those if budget was not so limited? (same applies, all-rounder with little sound leakage and comfortable during long sessions).

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 44
  I have actually always been more concerned about sound leaking out of the headphones (waking people late at night, not letting others know what i'm listening too, avoiding extra noise in the microphone, etc.) than sound leaking in (which is actually not that bad, i find myself getting one of the earpads out of my ear so i can listen to what happens around me, in case I'm waiting for a visit, or a call or in case my flatmate burns half the kitchen -again-), so if that's actually a barrier when it comes to the search of a "perfect" headphone, you can leave it out.

I have always wanted to get open headphones but i honestly think i would be going back to my closed cans constantly and that's what makes me to always put that off (what's the point on spending a lot on open cans when I'm going to end up using my closed CALs most of the time?).

Anyways, you are making me want the DT150 again, dammit, i was already over this xD. I was wondering, what would be the next major step from those if budget was not so limited? (same applies, all-rounder with little sound leakage and comfortable during long sessions).

The denon 2000 (discontinued) might fit the bill. They are a little bass heavy, they block out noise pretty good but not 100%. I doubt anyone would know what you're listening too. They have very comfy pads on them. Pretty detailed for having the bass they do. There is a huge mod section on them to get the exact sound you want. They look pretty good imo. You can use them on any source without an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back