Is there something wrong with my ATH-M50's? owners please chime in...
Oct 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Matt B

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I have a pair of the ATH-M50's which I love, however the drivers seem to get easily overwhelmed by too much bass and start to distort. My work computer has a good soundcard built in, and even when the EQ is flat once the volume starts reaching 'loud' territory the bass distorts noticeably. Do I have a defective set? or am I just playing them too loud?

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Hmm...this seems like an unusual problem. It's probably not - but have you checked to make sure the sound files aren't artificially boosted in sound?

It's possible that your set is defective. Did you purchase them new, and from a reputable dealer/seller?

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have a pair of the ATH-M50's which I love, however the drivers seem to get easily overwhelmed by too much bass and start to distort. My work computer has a good soundcard built in, and even when the EQ is flat once the volume starts reaching 'loud' territory the bass distorts noticeably. Do I have a defective set? or am I just playing them too loud?

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Did you burn them in or just blast them out of the box damaging the drivers?

I don't know if this would damage the driver because I do this with all my headphones including the M50 and had no problem.  It's a bad habit I have, I do it to test out it's capability out of curiosity.  I know I should stop.

Where did you buy your headphone?  Was it used? Maybe the headphone was already damaged before you got it.  I blasted the M50 all the time and no distortion.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 10
hey soundeffect

do you play them loud enough so that alot of people would think they are uncomfortably loud, and the bass is still fine?

if the answer is yes, I prolly have a defective set
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 10
What software did you use to play the musics?

When I played some mp3s with Sony's X-Appli they got distorted like hell, but when I changed to winamp, all good ^_^;

Anyway, I don't think playing M50 loudly will do it any damage, at least not to mine 

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Anyway, I don't think playing M50 loudly will do it any damage, at least not to mine 

Playing any music of poor quality or source at excessive volumes that causes clipping and/or bottoming out CAN and WILL damage any dynamic driver whether headphone or speaker.  Nothing is immune to the laws of Physics unless you are a quantum particle or your name is Q.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
hey soundeffect

do you play them loud enough so that alot of people would think they are uncomfortably loud, and the bass is still fine?

if the answer is yes, I prolly have a defective set
frown.gif

I have played it loud where people can hear it, but faintly, Most likely not as loud as yours.  I can hear the beats, but not know what music I am listening to.  It must be the sound card giving you that boost to increase the volume.  Anaxilus is probable be right in this case.  With mine, I can max out the volume and the M50 can handle them fine with no distortion.  I'm no expert and just letting you know my experience with my headphone.  Also if the people around you can tell what music you are listening to then your music is too loud for your ears. My music are also 192kbps and above up to 320kbps, you should check under property then detail to see. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Playing any music of poor quality or source at excessive volumes that causes clipping and/or bottoming out CAN and WILL damage any dynamic driver whether headphone or speaker.  Nothing is immune to the laws of Physics unless you are a quantum particle or your name is Q.

By "loudly", I didn't mean that loud, I never meant the ear-damaging kind of loud, since I thought people knows that much. But I guess I have to apologize if I made some people misunderstand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back