Is there any reason NOT to use iTunes?
Sep 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

barksdale

Head-Fier
Ok iTunes gets a lot of flack and I don't know why.  I don't like Apple Products other than the iPod.  I could rant on how terrible Apple is but I won't.

iTunes however is something they have done right.  It has a clean interface, it doesn't use a lot of memory, and it's just simple.

So why would I use any other media player?  Windows Media Player is awful in my opinion.  I haven't used Winamp since 2004.  I never liked Winamp's interface.

So is there a reason to switch?  I keep my music very organized.  All high quality, all album art, and proper tags.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:
No support for ASIO/WASAPI, but a bit-perfect stream can still be had if you set the Windows volume to 100 and mute all other applications.

well I onboard sound so that doesn't apply to me.  Good to know though.

Also my library is mainly 320kbps, no FLAC.  I have a few FLAC albums.  Reminds me I need to make a topic on that.

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 37
Flac is not a big deal, just convert to ALAC with something like dbpoweramp and send to iTunes library. That's what I do with HDTracks downloads and it sounds awesome. I too like iTunes more than other media players I've tried. It seems more intuitive; plus, it does so much to make my music library convenient.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 37
orz I hate iTunes interface...

hmm... foobar default interface is just perfect for me. Just a simple list of all things with customizable info shown, with fast response search function

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:
orz I hate iTunes interface...

what do you use then?  Show me something better
smile_phones.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:
what do you use then?  Show me something better
smile_phones.gif

All media players have one main function, and that's to take the 1s and 0s of audio files and get them where they need to go. If iTunes is doing that job properly (which, like most media players, it does), and it does everything else you want it to do, then there's no reason to switch. I personally prefer the interface of MediaMonkey (and the fact that it can use VST plug-ins), but if you like your interface, and iTunes is working property, you are fine.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 37
I'd go with foobar. In my experience it can play basically any file type you can throw at it, has a very simple and easy interface, and is very low profile.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 37
Foobar works really well for some people, but I *loathe* the interface of it. It's really a personal choice. Good news here is that they're all free (save for J River), so you can try as many media players as you want. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 37
iTunes works decently on OSX, but it's terrible on Windows since the version isn't a direct port of the Mac version. There are far too many dependencies and hooks, and the fact that due to Apple's policy of forcing a singular way of doing things, users don't have any streamlined option of manually installing components that would allow for iDevices to be connected to a Windows system without the plethora of software that comes with the iTunes package.

EDIT: The rather narrow file format support isn't good either, not to mention no support for bitperfect output methods, both having been pointed above by other users. Also, lack of a codec switch system isn't that great, considering Apple advertises iTunes as an AiO multimedia package.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 37
I have Windows 7 and I've never felt iTunes was terrible. The word terrible just does not have any sort of power when associated with iTunes. No one who uses iTunes would likely see any aspect of the product as being terrible. I think the product is convenient, as well as accommodating. In experiments with music stored in iTunes and the same material on  SACD, I usually cannot distinguish 256k files on iTunes from SACD. Now, with iCloud and the iTunes Store syncing to my laptop and iPhone I just don't see any value in learning how to navigate another media player. I don't perceive any meaningful benefit, since I want for nothing. That's to say, I have tried other media players and I do not perceive that they sound better, have more useful functions which I think I need , or are easier to operate. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 37
Interesting how you brought up an entirely separate topic of audio format perceived differences, but ok.

iTunes, like all Apple products, is mainly about platform integration, and it does so quite well. Unfortunately, it is far too restrictive when compared to the entire IT world.

Bottomline is, iTunes has enough features for you. For others, it's not even close.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 37
The bottom line can be anything. The market for media players is not monolithic.  ITunes serves and satisfies a lot of folks. It is as innovative today as it was when it first appeared. It has changed the way most folks enjoy their music. But one thing it is not, is terrible. That's my point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back