Is there any difference between MS1 and SR80???
Apr 1, 2007 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sphinxllama

New Head-Fier
Hi,

after looking around for some portable headphones I found the grado sr-80 and the alessandro ms1 to be a good headphone for rock musik.

so now I found out which headphone to buy I have another question. As the titel says, I would like to know if there is any difference between this two headphones. Besides the name
smily_headphones1.gif

The price is almost the same so what is a criterion for buying one or the other?

greets sphinxllama

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 6
the ms1 comes with comfies while the sr80 comes with bowls
the sr80 has the button while the ms1 doesn't

i haven't heard either headphone, but the ms1 is usually regarded as the better headphone
edit:
ms1 is 99 shipped anywhere in the world

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 6
It's interesting to note while looking at both the Grado and Alessandro web sites, that the materials used in the manufacture of both the MS-1 and SR-125 are about the same! It would lead one to believe that other than the sound, the MS-1 is closer to the SR-125 than any other Grado model.

The main difference between the two has more to do with the sound than the materials. The Alessandros are designed to have a driver assembly that produces a more neutral presentation than the Grado models more "fun" and exciting attitude.

What helps to keep the MS-1 price so low has to do with the less expensive comfy pads, and the exclusion of the relatively expensive to produce and install ID button! And I sometimes wonder if the price isn't set just below that magic $100 mark as a simple marketing feature.

A lot of Grado fans I'm sure would argue whether the MS-1 is "better than the corresponding Grado models. Having never heard the Grados, I'm in no real position to answer that. I suspect that the real answer is that they are just different. I do suspect that the more neutral nature of the sound of the MS-1 would appeal to a wider range of listeners than the edgy more exciting and fun sound of these particular Grados.

But from a strictly materials standpoint and the pricing structure, I suppose that one could safely say that the MS-1 "is" perhaps better than the SR-80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back