Is there any comparison between Schiit Yggdrasil and Metrum Pavane?
Jul 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 12
coli said he will do direct comparsion between Yggy and Pavane,he got Pavane but it was damaged and only one side played so he send it back and will recieve new one and then we should get very much needed information whitch one is better becose these two should be most accurate R2R dacs ever made.

coli posted about it nearly three weeks ago,I expect him to get new unit and update on situation any day now.

btw my personal bet,Pavane will be better,Yggy have 20 bit chip but the LSB MSB transient module in pavane allows for 24bit easily,the Pavane will be limited by thermal noise,power supply regulation and output stage,but if Metrum nailed it it have potential to destroy yggy,its NOS, in yggy you cant turn that stupid burrito OS thing off,yggy plays everything at 352 or 384khz but can recieve only 192khz max,so if you have DXD raw master audio you are forced to downconvert it only so yggy upconvert that,as hi rez fanatic this piss me off

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you very much for your reply!
Actually I tried both of them before but not in the same environment and with same music source. I can only remember their tone. The music from the YGG sounds very "real" to my ear, the details and texture of the instrument are very lifelike that I almost think the musical instrument is there with me. That is an extremely neutral sounding and maybe a bit tasteless. On the other hand the Pavane has a very beautiful sounding, not as lifelike as YGG (very close though) but the graceful music comes out from it simply touched my heart.
I love both of them but Pavane is more expensive. It will be great if coli can do a detail side by side comparison :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah, I got my perfect Pavane now, but... Yggy seems to be indefinitely delayed.... also there's that 5% fee for returning it, so I may or may not try it after all... I will be posting my impressions in the Pavane thread in a few days.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 12
I also got my Pavane from the dealer in Hong Kong yesterday as I found that it will take way too long for me to get a YGG. Still burning in my Pavane, the sound improved quite obviously after 24 hours of playing music and the dealer told me that 3 weeks of burning in will bring the best result. Looking forward for your impression coli !

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 12
Quite late to the party... but still very much interested in this. Can anybody give an update please? I'm considering selling my Vega and looking for some upgrades. These two are on top of my want-to-try list. 

Any other recommendations (in a year you could have heard lots of new stuff 
o2smile.gif
) are very welcome as well. Thanks!

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Jun 13, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 12
  Thank you very much for your reply!
Actually I tried both of them before but not in the same environment and with same music source. I can only remember their tone. The music from the YGG sounds very "real" to my ear, the details and texture of the instrument are very lifelike that I almost think the musical instrument is there with me. That is an extremely neutral sounding and maybe a bit tasteless. On the other hand the Pavane has a very beautiful sounding, not as lifelike as YGG (very close though) but the graceful music comes out from it simply touched my heart.
I love both of them but Pavane is more expensive. It will be great if coli can do a detail side by side comparison :)

I would love to hear that difference myself, looking to change my DAC to something with a bit more "juice" (Yes, that same one where you have both detail and musicality)

From your description Pavane sounds a bit right, but just how much of a difference is there between Yggdrasil and Pavane is it worth double the price?

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 12
Jun 13, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 12

IMO, yes.

Yourself as an owner of Auralic Vega as I see in your signature, can you compare the two? :D

For me Auralic Vega it seems like it is very clean/clear in general (Maybe the other two are better in that department) but the sound is dry generally, maybe will be a good DAC to do monitoring for sound production, but not musical enough for me. It seems for me as if it's Neutral and maybe even on the "gtfo bad recording" department, or there are so many bad/horrible recordings in the world that it's a waste of money being an audiophile (Of course I'm just joking, it's a hobby that we all love and enjoy :wink:))

The big chain of websites didn't retire Auralic Vega yet, I'm talking about Stereophile, Audiostream, etc... definitely because it is a great DAC, but I'm looking for more now, also so far really enjoying my new acquired HD800S, more than LCD-3, especially for build quality but doesn't end with it at all.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 12
  A friend of mine and 'long term' Yggy owner purchased a Psvane about 6 months ago.  The Yggy has since been sold. 

Pavane does sound like a good product in general but a bit over the price...  With Yggdrasil being modular and Schiit's "End game" product, perhaps there will be some more addons later that will make Yggdrasil even better than Pavane? As I understand it, if you say that it's worth double the price that means that there is a fairly big difference in sound as well, but for a company that is well known for having good products, not even tailored for the head-fi community, still I'm trying to find a demo somewhere in the area, even since my plans to visit europe soon maybe poland I was thinking of stepping into a demo of the Pavane but nothing, no distributors anywhere near eastern europe or at least official ones, and not to mention in Israel where we see some pretty big names around here with fairly heavy prices.

Of course Schiit are not very friendly either with distributors either, so it's only working on word of mouth, I wonder (And no I did not read the journal) how did they manage to market the products in a way that the company is quite a big name today, from being a "Who?"

I think actually even Schiit have some distributor somewhere in Poland, gotta get there if I'll get to Poland.

We'll see how it'll be in a year from now, I'll save some money until then - maybe I'll get one of them earlier - P.S: My Vega is up for trade for a Schiit Yggdrasil if anyone is interested, even if you don't really want Vega itself you can probably sell it for more money than you would an Yggdrasil, I know the pricing on mine is high right now but I'm up for a trade for Yggdrasil or a similar DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back