Is There an Up-To-Date Balanced Amp List?
Aug 11, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #16 of 20
Great reference thread, subscribed. Also I noticed that the HeadAmp GS-X hasn't been mentioned
smile.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #17 of 20
Those who say there is no benefit from cables just haven't heard the right cables!
But you are right - most of them don't change diddly.  There are a few that really make difference like you wouldn't believe.
So I would say don't get turned off from the search for the right cables just because so many that so many people praise are actually junk.
I'm happy to have this discussion elsewhere, since this thread is about amps...
Apropos of which, I would agree and say power is everything - but it's nothing if you don't have the right system in place... 
By this I mean the right combination of power strip, power source, power cable, amp, ICs, headphone cable and headphone. 
One smearing, choking stifling compenent or cable in your system and the synergy and flow is gone; the sound is degraded and you can't get it back.
So before you pick an amp - get the right cables and right headphones in place, then try out amps with all those other elements all in place.
Then you will know whether that amp works for you or not - you will actually hear the amp, in other words, and not the other stuff.
And by they way, if I had to rank all this: SOURCE is king anyway - so start there - no system in the world is going to correct a bad source.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 20
With a balanced amp, some of the improvement in sound is the actual cable change but much of the sound benefits are due to a change to a balanced rather than a single-ended configuration which needs a balanced headphone cable to be able to showcase these improvements. I think that it varies with the headphone but with better models like those that usually have modular cables you can really hear a difference in separation, clarity, imaging, soundstage, and dynamics compared to a single-ended configuration. The main advantage of balanced cables is to reduce long-run cable noise but there are added benefits.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #19 of 20
I don't think a definitive one but I just did a simple search and found these:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577092/balanced-ss-amps-to-put-in-your-shopping-list/15

http://www.head-fi.org/t/535861/the-list-balanced-amps-under-1-000-aka-amps-not-to-buy/75

http://www.head-fi.org/t/245316/guide-to-balanced-amps

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 20

If you plan to get the HD-800, I would suggest the Complement balanced cable from Double Helix.
Quote:
Been doing some looking but can't seem to find one that's up to date. Looking at my options for a balanced system (hoping 4 pin, but 3 pin is always an option).

I know about the Apache, WA22, gd Phoenix, Violectric V181, HeadRoom Balanced, EC Balancing Act...

That's all I can grab off the top of my head. What other options are there floating around?

Another vote for the balanced system.

As a SS option, I feel to suggest the HPBA-2 from Qes Labs. Extremely fast on transient response, flat, true to the source with the hd800.
Review here.
They make custom builds, so worth a check.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back