Is there a way to EQ a digital signal from a PC to a DAC?
Jun 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

billyhightech

New Head-Fier
I plan on using a laptop as a source unit running to a amp/DAC combo,if i adjust the audio before it is sent to the amp/dac will it be flat or equalized? Or should i just get a good soundcard (do they make them for laptops?) a run an analog signal to an amp?

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 12
If you adjust it then as far as the settings are concerned it isn't set to flat; whether the resulting sound is as flat as possible is a different matter altogether. You can set it to flat and not get a flat sound; or you can measure it so you can adjust it and get the resulting sound as flat as possible. There are affordable, quality USB microphones out there and some analyzer software (could come bundled with it) that can help you do this; I've tried one of these for tuning my car's system before and I liked the resulting sound. I haven't met up with my friend who has the tuning laptop for months, but next time I do I'll try it with my headphone system.

As for soundcards, there are dozens of external soundcards out there; I've seen one from Creative before, and Asus has one more. If its mostly for 2ch Hi-Fi it's more commonly referred to as a USB DAC or just a DAC; sometimes it's DAC-Amp if it has a built-in headphone amp. Search for USB DACs here, most are in the Source category; some might be in the Amps and Portable Amps section because they have powerful enough amps (or they're basically amps with a more or less basic DAC, for those who want less clutter but prefer to pay more for the amp).

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
If you adjust it then as far as the settings are concerned it isn't set to flat; whether the resulting sound is as flat as possible is a different matter altogether. You can set it to flat and not get a flat sound; or you can measure it so you can adjust it and get the resulting sound as flat as possible. There are affordable, quality USB microphones out there and some analyzer software (could come bundled with it) that can help you do this; I've tried one of these for tuning my car's system before and I liked the resulting sound. I haven't met up with my friend who has the tuning laptop for months, but next time I do I'll try it with my headphone system.

As for soundcards, there are dozens of external soundcards out there; I've seen one from Creative before, and Asus has one more. If its mostly for 2ch Hi-Fi it's more commonly referred to as a USB DAC or just a DAC; sometimes it's DAC-Amp if it has a built-in headphone amp. Search for USB DACs here, most are in the Source category; some might be in the Amps and Portable Amps section because they have powerful enough amps (or they're basically amps with a more or less basic DAC, for those who want less clutter but prefer to pay more for the amp).

+1.
For a flat response, you'll have to tune acc. to the transducer.

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 12
I plan on using a laptop as a source unit running to a amp/DAC combo,if i adjust the audio before it is sent to the amp/dac will it be flat or equalized? Or should i just get a good soundcard (do they make them for laptops?) a run an analog signal to an amp?

With most soundcards, the EQ will "carry" via S/PDIF out. Some will screw this up though (an example is the X-Fi Prelude). Just ensure that you've got the digital output selected, and apply whatever settings you want (also note that when I say with some cards its screwed up, I mean using their software EQs - if you use a plug-in for something like foobar that will always work).

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
With most soundcards, the EQ will "carry" via S/PDIF out. Some will screw this up though (an example is the X-Fi Prelude). Just ensure that you've got the digital output selected, and apply whatever settings you want (also note that when I say with some cards its screwed up, I mean using their software EQs - if you use a plug-in for something like foobar that will always work).

Could you elaborate on that? I don't recall any EQ issues with the X-Fi Prelude over S/PDIF, though I hooked up my SU-DH1 to it less often than my X-Fi Titanium HD. I'm willing to run some tests to confirm or deny these issues, though.

Also, with X-Fi cards, the "Speakers" device needs to be the default audio device in the Windows sound control panel, NOT "SPDIF Out". You just check a "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" box to get it to output through S/PDIF. Weird, I know, but it's the only way I've managed to get any sound out of the S/PDIF output for things other than DVD movies.

I'm not sure how it works out on other sound cards (different driver control panels and all that), but it's something to keep in mind.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Could you elaborate on that? I don't recall any EQ issues with the X-Fi Prelude over S/PDIF, though I hooked up my SU-DH1 to it less often than my X-Fi Titanium HD. I'm willing to run some tests to confirm or deny these issues, though.

Also, with X-Fi cards, the "Speakers" device needs to be the default audio device in the Windows sound control panel, NOT "SPDIF Out". You just check a "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" box to get it to output through S/PDIF. Weird, I know, but it's the only way I've managed to get any sound out of the S/PDIF output for things other than DVD movies.

I'm not sure how it works out on other sound cards (different driver control panels and all that), but it's something to keep in mind.

Is it because the SPDIF outputs to the integrated chip?

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 12

Prelude under XP will work properly. Prelude under 7 x64 will not pass EQ, CMSS, and some (it seems random) EAX effects via S/PDIF unless you engage Dolby encoder - there is no "Play Stereo Mix" setting through the (insanely outdated) Auzen drivers. The official Creative drivers for X-Fi and Recon3D perform exactly as intended and S/PDIF has no issues passing any featureset that you like. Exactly as you described. AFAIK it's just because Auzen has essentially abandoned the X-Fi entirely in the last few years. I haven't tried my A2ZS under 7, but I suspect it will perform along the same lines as the Recon and official X-Fi cards.

And the "play through digital" thing is Creative's workaround to WDM's generally craptastic approach to audio (I really *hate* what Microsoft did to audio with Vista, and it was all in response to audiophile whining (from inside and outside of the company)).

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
One again,do they make any good sound cards for laptops?  I am pretty much against any EQing at all but my Etys need some bass boost. :)

that's an understatement 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Thankfully yes.

I'm doing it with my RealTek HD (Codec: ALC1150) onboard soundcard on my Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 motherboard. It's global (all sound output apps) equalization through the 'Realtek HD Audio Manager', it's counterpart is the Creative Graphic Equalizer for Audigy soundcards.

RealTek HD SPDIF/TOSLINK -->Yamaha RX-A840 AVR --> GoldenEar Triton Three LR speakers, Aiwa SX-N999 LR Presence Speakers

Sounds decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back