Is there a Speaker-Fi (like Head-Fi?)
Mar 16, 2005 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

geardoc

100+ Head-Fier
I know this is the portion of the forum to discuss speakers and other stuff. But, Head-Fi is not focused on speakers. Is there a forum that is as nuts about speakers as Head-Fi is about headphones?

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 9
hometheaterforum.com
avsforum.com
hometheaterspot.com

head-fis equivelant to speakers.

My first hobby was home theater before head fi.

and from what Ive noticed the folks here at head fi have very different opinions to audiophiles for speakers.

IMO head fiers try to implent too much headphone thinking into speakers and source components, both hobbies are of different nature. Id go to a home theater forum for speaker advice.

there seems to be huge fans of budget digital amps hear, even people claiming a $300 panny out performs are multi kilobuck seperate component system, yet only places ive seen people link to such claims are the same audio circle threads.

Id recommend you expand your research and read home theater forums if you want a different perspective. My perspective is home theater first headphones second, which is why my opnions usually clash with other headfiers, that put headphones first and home theater second.

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 9
RnB, search audioasylum for the digital amp info. It's there too. They're just friendlier at audiocircle.

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

there seems to be huge fans of budget digital amps hear, even people claiming a $300 panny out performs are multi kilobuck seperate component system, yet only places ive seen people link to such claims are the same audio circle threads.

I am going to be very easy on you, because I thought the exact same thing. How, can a piece of crap 6.1 surround receiver for a little over $200.00 beat anything in the two-channel realm, yet state of the art equipment? Well, I am eating my own words now, because I bought one, and I am here to tell you that these “Digital” amplifiers are the real deal. I have been an audiophile for 21 years, and these amplifiers are easily some of the most involving I have ever heard. They are the future, and I approve greatly!

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 9
sounds nice but I need more then 2 channel for home theater. i saw them at frys, nice sond or not they dont have any pre outs and use spring clips. it would be down grade for me, since I want a pre amp and mono block set up.

Mar 17, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 9
You should also check out Audiogon which I've found to be more 'accessible' to the non-or-newbie-audiophile than Audio Asylum (i.e., there is a head-fi-like friendliness at Audiogon in terms of the rapport among the regular posters). Be forewarned, however, it's mostly a place to buy and sell gear! And if you think headphones are expensive...

Audio Asylum is a great place to visit if you need to learn what the 'experts' think about anything under the sun. But I've seen far too much showmanship going on at AA to ever get comfortable asking questions there myself. It's as though a big room full of guys are sitting around all day waiting to pounce on anyone they can, simply to display their dizzying, hypertechnical knowledge. Or, more to the point, to prove among themselves who is most correct. Typically, a simple question is asked and a simple answer is given by Guy #1 (who recognized and respected the nature of the initial question). Then Guy #2 tries to prove why Guy #1 is technically wrong about some already technical point that Guy #1 threw in only for the benefit of the person making the initial inquiry (and being ever so helpful at that). Guy #1 replies that Guy #2 is laboring under fase assumptions, then Guys #3 through 8 join in, and on and on it goes. The testosterone level at that place makes my butt clinch in fear as though I had just left my lovely wife to join the prison rugby team. Not something I would volunteer for. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back