Is there a size limit on sigs?
Jul 2, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #16 of 41
gwhiztrts.jpg

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #17 of 41
Huge signatures are quite annoying.
A simple and to-the-point one (like ex. mine) are fine. But those 50 lines ones are simply overkill.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huge signatures are quite annoying.
A simple and to-the-point one (like ex. mine) are fine. But those 50 lines ones are simply overkill.

I've always found yours to be long-winded.

wink.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #19 of 41
I think personalization is good, but I have to agree that some signatures are a bit out of hand. Anyway, it has not bothered my yet.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the end of the day does it REALLY matter? You have to scroll an extra 3 clicks to get to the next post on even the largest signatures.

NOT that I'm not advocating for clear regulations (as I'm always for clear and concise rules when they're in place), but it seems like a really nitpicky topic to bring up.

It matters for people who use cellphones or low resolution monitors to browse the forums. It definitely bothers me when people have huge signatures
mad.gif
even though I always browse from my computer. Most of the stuff is pretty worthless anyway I don't even know why they think people want to read that stuff.

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #21 of 41
I don't like the huge sigs as well, but as others have noted you can always turn them off!

So those on mobile browsers or small laptops can do that as well.

Yeah you'll miss some of the fun, but you can't have it all!

* goes awaya and shrinks his sig!*

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #22 of 41
There is a minimum amount of vertical real estate that is taken up by any post made on this website, that minimum is dictated by the pixels needed to display someones username (and really long one word usernames which creep out into the middle of the page are also damn annoying). Add in an avatar of the maximum 100x100 size, and the brief profile info box, plus the instant message lionks box, and you have your maximum. A maximum that is slightly higher than it used to be since the box was squashed smaller after the adverts moved (temporary for camjam ¬_¬) to the left hand side. This means that peoples locations now tend to take up an extra line.

My feeling is that a signature should not exceed the vertical distance left within a short post relative to the username sidebox.

A simple and great solution, or at least relief for some of these symptoms would be to move the username panel to the top of each post, as a great many forums do. This would be a godsend relief for those on mobile browsers or with lower screen resolutions who have had to suffer scroll pain with the continuation of the left hand side advert bars. It would also remove the usernamelengthistoolongforthesidebar inddent problem. Although the massive sig problem would only be marginally diluted.

I know that there is an option to turn off sigs (and avatars too I think) but I want to be able to enjoy the not-**** signatures, the witty quotes, and the personal identification of users that comes as much from them as from usernames or avatars.

If theres enough support for this, then perhaps theres a chance that Jude can tick the relevent forum software option box.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #24 of 41
I've been trying to suggest the new Rig section in the profile, but nothing is done for it. It would certainly cut some of that sometimes crazy amount of sigs. The bbcodes in the profile info would improve it also.

So yes, a limit would be in place! I would go as long as limiting them to four lines (subjective, but effective).

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 41
Duggeh, I HATE the user info above the post. I'd much rather have the avatar be to the left.

I like reading people's signatures, but you don't have to have everything!

/me goes to update his profile.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 41
Fair enough, especially for cell phone browsing I stand corrected.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 41
I've heard the multi-colours drives some people compleatly batty
wink.gif

And other darlings have claimed scroll finger abuse and their imaginings of early onset carpal tunnel attribuited to so-called long signatures, too - So I shortened mine
wink.gif

-But It's still too long, I'm sure, like hair on others that is so annoying, to some.

And another thing , don't 'cha hate some of those avatars and HUGE location addendums, too!

Go ahead, and let it all out~

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, overtly political items are not allowed on this site.

Nitpick.

I can't find anything that bans political items on this forum. There's the banning of political and religious threads/posts/discussion, but a sigline isn't a thread/post/discussion.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a sigline isn't a thread/post/discussion.

Neither is an avatar, but if you look around you'll see those have been censored for political stuff too.

Either way, I don't really mind I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back