Is there a site that will stream my music library in lossless?
Jul 9, 2017 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zendro

New Head-Fier
Hello there, I've been searching online to no avail. As subject thread states:

Is there any site or service that would allow me to stream my music library in lossless or close to lossless (320kbps)?

I'm thinking of a cross between Tidal/Spotify & Google Play/iTunes

Tidal & Spotify because they allow streaming in lossless and 320kbps respectively (but not of songs in your own library).

Google Play & iTunes because they both allow you to upload & stream songs in your own library (but not in high quality 320kbps or lossless).

See my dilemma?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated!

Thanks.

-Zendro

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for the input. Do you have any suggestions for where I would begin to learn how to set that up?

Also, to be clear, would that setup allow me to stream online from a different device? Or just download the files from a different device on demand?

Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of, at least as some sort of modern "app" as you're envisioning it, but you could always setup a VPN to your home network and plug in from the outside web and grab whatever you want that way. Also no third party/cloud-based/whatever to futz with.

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Dropbox maybe.

A Dropbox Basic account is free and includes2 GB of space. You can download free apps to access Dropbox from your computer and mobile device. You can also earn more space on your Dropbox Basic account.

Dropbox announced a revamped version of its paid offering for individuals, called Dropbox Pro, that costs $9.99 a month for 1 terabyte of storage.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Depending on how your home network is configured and what hardware/software you have will dictate (to an extent) what VPN options are available to you. It would allow you to do anything remotely that you can presently do on your network - the VPN acts as an encrypted tunnel between wherever you are (with Internet access) to your home network. "Streaming" may or may not be feasible depending on connection speed wherever you are (this would apply to any service no matter what - if the connection is too slow/unreliable to do it, it isn't going to work), but given that you're essentially on the network as a local user, you could then download whatever content (probably slower than real-time if you get what I'm after here) and then play it back locally.

Most basic level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Somewhat higher level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVPN

Even higher:
https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/333-what-is-openvpn.html

Depending on what you already have as a router it may support this kind of functionality out of the box, and may even have a setup wizard or something to make life easier. Really comes down to what you already have set-up though.

Dropbox maybe.

A Dropbox Basic account is free and includes2 GB of space. You can download free apps to access Dropbox from your computer and mobile device. You can also earn more space on your Dropbox Basic account.

Dropbox announced a revamped version of its paid offering for individuals, called Dropbox Pro, that costs $9.99 a month for 1 terabyte of storage.

While I certainly "get" the appeal of the whole cloud thing, I could buy a 1TB disk for the equivalent of less than 6 months of that kind of service, and just have the storage on-hand for whatever I needed. My point there is, if we're talking about colossal amounts of data that should be portable, it may be worth looking at some sort of mobile storage solution as opposed to some sort of cloud or VPN solution, simply due to the bandwidth usage and/or performance considerations if we're throwing 1TB (or thereabouts) of data around with any regularity. Disks are cheap.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 6
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back