Is there a single mp3 player that acts like a true external HDD?
Mar 4, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 34
I have an 80 gig archos av380 and I use it as an external drive all the time.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 34
2nd generation iPods do it too

Mar 4, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #21 of 34
In OSX my 3G iPod was able to be selected as the default drive for iTunes, Final Cut, and Garage band. As far as it is concerned it's just another HDD. I don't see why it would be any different on a PC either.

One thing to remember though is that it will let you save directly to the iPod, it will not let you play that music directly. It is able to move the files around like any other hardrive but will not let you play the music until it is databased by iTunes. If you need that ability look for a player that has Drag and Drop music playing support. Most filetree type players do that and some of the newer ones that have self databasing.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orubasarot
I know iriver players show up in explorer but it was some kind of neutered way of doing this. What I want is a player that really doubles as an external hard drive, so for example, I could use it for recording in Pro Tools directly, without having to save to a local drive, and then transfering the data to the player.

Lots of players seem to claim they can do this, but I want someone with experience to verify before I buy another one of these things.

lol. You're dead wrong about iRiver players. They show up as a HDD. That's it.

Nothing else to do...they show up as an external HDD.. at least my H320 does.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kairyu
My iRiver H140 player and MuVo N200 both appear as mass storage devices on my computer. I have yet to install any software for either of them and I can of course drag n' drop music files, homework, programs, and etc onto them.

Yep what he said with my H140 as well.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #24 of 34
my hd3 shows up as a seperate drive ( E: ) but its only good for transfering data from comp to comp, you cant drop mp3s like that for the player to recognize... I use it for transfering large .rar and .zip files.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 34
Yes the Archos Gmini xs200 shows up as a local drive. You can browse through all the files on it and it also allows id3 tag browsing, you just throw the music files on and use arclibrary update, but you can also listen to the music just through file browsing.

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 34
My archos av320 functions as an external harddrive on any modern OS without the need to install 3rd party software. I believe that all archos devices have this capability.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #27 of 34
There are two different kinds of external HD modes.

One is where music is still transferred by a sync program, but you can use/see the player as a hard drive. However, you cannot play music moved to the HD without using the sync program. The Sony HiMD's come to mind.

The other is where the player is an external HD to the PC. You drag and drop music to the HD. The player can play the music so transferred. Several players come to mind: Iriver hard drive players (H120, H140, H320 and so on), Creative Muvo and Muvo2 series. Samsung flash MP3 players. Some that do not support this feature out of the box include: Iriver flash MP3 players, Creative Jukeboxes.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 34
You can use the Karma as an external HDD, but only with Rio Taxi. So it's not that useful for attaching to random computers, but just fine for transfering stuff between computers you use a lot.

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
You can use the Karma as an external HDD, but only with Rio Taxi. So it's not that useful for attaching to random computers, but just fine for transfering stuff between computers you use a lot.

there's not other software / way to use it w/drag&drop feature for transferring files ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back