Is there a REALLY noticeable difference in IEM's?
Jan 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 72
In my experience multi-ba set ups offer more than single dynamic drivers can (again, my opinion).  You get sound stage, instrument separation and greater detail.  I'd suggest you visit somewhere you can give a listen to triple and up drivers.  More drivers doesn't always mean better but it often does.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 72
The spectrum for overall sound/quality/value iems is like a huge curve with small ups and downs. It starts off very sharp between the 1$-100$ and then gradually reaches a plateau the more expensive you get. Most likely, normal consumer will not be able to tell the diff. Between a 200$ iem and a 800$ one. Even an audiophile would have trouble differentiating...

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #21 of 72
Also, just make sure you are not just bored with you current set-up.  What I mean is I have re-bought many IEM's over many times.  I realized I was just making a change but not necessarily getting a better sound. (and this is exactly where the sickness of this hobby comes in)

If it sounds decent, try to be content with what you have unless you are truly upgrading to a whole nother level.

Just off the top of my head I have purchased the following IEM's  

W3 - 4 times
W4 - 2 times
UM2 - 2 times
GR10 - 2 times
ER4P - 3 times
TF10 - 3 times

And today I own W4R and JH5.  Very good choices for as much as I listen.

But keep in mind I have been here 10 years so as sick as I am.....it took many years....

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #22 of 72
I own some of the most praised IEMs around here; the trouble is that I can't settle with any of them because they all sound different but as Spyro said, not necessarily better. If you ask me, I think I threw too much money and to be honest, I still enjoy listening my old not expensive cx300ii, even with muddy, uncontrolled bass, poor mids and shallow fit. The fact that if I break them it won't hurt that much helps a lot to enjoy music...

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #23 of 72
  There is a noticeable difference in IEMs, but don't assume that there's a strong correlation between performance and price.

This is the most honest and sensible answer in the thread so far imo. I would say that indeed there are noticeable differences sonically between IEM's, but they do not necessarily correlate in terms of performance to price as you rightly mentioned. In-fact, after a certain threshold, the cost is often irrelevant, and performance or sound quality essentially boils down to personal preference on the kind of sonic signature you prefer.

For example, I prefer the sound signature of the W4 to the SE846 despite the latter being roughly $600 more expensive. I actually think the latter is simply more coloured and lively sounding, not necessarily better sounding. I also feel that the UM3X actually offers a more honest and closer to reference sonic signature compared to the W4, even though it originally retailed at less, and even though I settled on the W4 as my main IEM, simply because it's sonic signature better catered to my personal taste.

Don't let the exorbitant prices of some of these new IEM's steer you in to thinking you'll necessarily prefer the sound of them, nor that they will automatically offer objectively better sound quality for your money, because there's a high chance they won't.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #24 of 72
In my opinion, this is a not an easy question to answer; for some it is a tough question because you would think the answer is so obvious. I have been fooling around in audio for awhile and I think that listening to high performance audio equipment requires training and appreciation on the part of the listener. I think of the cartoon of the couple sitting on the couch watching the new television. He is thinking, "Wow, 1080p hi def HDMI, 600 Hz, plasma" and his wife is thinking, "It's a TV". I remember my first audio system and how wonderful I thought it sounded. As I listened over time I began to note that things were missing compared to live sound. This is when the quest begins. A new listener to IEM's may not be able to hear a difference because they do not know what to listen for, or maybe even what is important to them. It takes time and training to learn. The simple answer to the question is yes there is a difference and as you gain experience with your equipment and hear other devices (compared to some reference, sometimes) an appreciation will develop if you are intrerested. Some people collect stamps, some collect expensive wine, some collect matchbooks. We sometimes collect equipment and sometimes we get lucky. (But in the end it's all about the music.)

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #25 of 72
The spectrum for overall sound/quality/value iems is like a huge curve with small ups and downs. It starts off very sharp between the 1$-100$ and then gradually reaches a plateau the more expensive you get. Most likely, normal consumer will not be able to tell the diff. Between a 200$ iem and a 800$ one. Even an audiophile would have trouble differentiating...

So there isn't much difference between a Shure SE535 and a Shure SE846?

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #27 of 72

I think everyone here have started at bottom of ladder here and slowly moved up. Some who have started like the thread starter here few years back have now writing blogs on CIEM and review high end audio gear. It all depends if you follow this as hobby and experiment with different audio gears( iems, daps, amps) slowly you will notice minute details . I should say its expensive hobby.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 72
  Also, just make sure you are not just bored with you current set-up.  What I mean is I have re-bought many IEM's over many times.  I realized I was just making a change but not necessarily getting a better sound. (and this is exactly where the sickness of this hobby comes in)

If it sounds decent, try to be content with what you have unless you are truly upgrading to a whole nother level.

Just off the top of my head I have purchased the following IEM's  

W3 - 4 times
W4 - 2 times
UM2 - 2 times
GR10 - 2 times
ER4P - 3 times
TF10 - 3 times

And today I own W4R and JH5.  Very good choices for as much as I listen.

But keep in mind I have been here 10 years so as sick as I am.....it took many years....

im starting to get like you, i am trying to take a notice as to what iems i know if i sell will i regret it and end up buying them again. i bought the se535 4 times, i currently have 2 pairs of the se535 both have upgraded double helix, one has the double helix symbiote nucleotide copper, and the other has the new litz silver plated copper hybrid peptide rsa terminated those 2 are staying with me....since i know if i sell them, i will just buy them again.

then i just discovered erymotic, and found some really good deals, so i got the hf2,ER4P,ER4S,ER4PT none of these will ever go anywhere. i think even though i owned alot of iem's i just learned what accuracy of iems are with the er4

then i have the westonre w4r with a upgraded toxic silver poison rsa balanced cable. not going anywhere either.

i learned i can live without the tf10 even though they are good. owned those twice

i cant stop buying iem's lol

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #30 of 72
  I spent $500 only to find out that I don't mind listening to radio quality music!

My car stereo broke like 3 months ago and now I put my iphone in one of the coin/ash holder to make it sound loud. Awful stereo imaging and soundstage I admit but I don't mind. The funny thing is that I could spend 100$ on a new one but never paid much attention to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back