Is there a REALLY noticeable difference in IEM's?
Jan 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Mustard Mayhem

New Head-Fier
Okay, i am a complete scrub when it comes to headphones, ive never owned any high-quality IEM's or headphones...ever, but i recently just ordered the Velodyne vPulse IEM's, and I'm just wondering if ill notice a big difference from the past IEM's i have used (phillips SHE35xx the 15 dollar one, and Beats by Dre. I didn't notice the difference between the 2, Beats just cost a hundred bucks more.) I will be recieving the vPulse tomorrow. I am just wondering what to expect :) thanks for the help guys! and yes i know beats suck ass as I have been reading hate post lols

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 72
  Okay, i am a complete scrub when it comes to headphones, ive never owned any high-quality IEM's or headphones...ever, but i recently just ordered the Velodyne vPulse IEM's, and I'm just wondering if ill notice a big difference from the past IEM's i have used (phillips SHE35xx the 15 dollar one, and Beats by Dre. I didn't notice the difference between the 2, Beats just cost a hundred bucks more.) I will be recieving the vPulse tomorrow. I am just wondering what to expect :) thanks for the help guys! and yes i know beats suck ass as I have been reading hate post lols

TLC..

YES, ABSOLUTELY..... think of it as a pyramid (illuminati)......

so think of it as a pyramid like a food chain. the lower the IEM's compared to the Top Tier there is a HUGE difference between the 2. to say night and day is to understate. comparing the JH roxy's to a 5.00 iem the jh roxy's are $1600.00.....this hobby is kinda finicky though, in a sense that there ARE iem's that arent super expensive that sound as good or better than iem's that might cost 200.00 more. while on the flip side. you have to understand there is a ceiling to in ear monitors. once you get to a certain point in the pyramid better becomes obsolete, and dIfferent Takes its place....

so if you compare a 1,000.00 to a 1,000.00 you are going to get better, but different....in a sense ALL iems come to that point where you are going to get different sounds sonics verse better.

so to answer your question in short. yes

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 72
   TLC..

YES, ABSOLUTELY..... think of it as a pyramid (illuminati)......

so think of it as a pyramid like a food chain. the lower the IEM's compared to the Top Tier there is a HUGE difference between the 2. to say night and day is to understate. comparing the JH roxy's to a 5.00 iem the jh roxy's are $1600.00.....this hobby is kinda finicky though, in a sense that there ARE iem's that arent super expensive that sound as good or better than iem's that might cost 200.00 more. while on the flip side. you have to understand there is a ceiling to in ear monitors. once you get to a certain point in the pyramid better becomes obsolete, and dIfferent Takes its place....

so if you compare a 1,000.00 to a 1,000.00 you are going to get better, but different....in a sense ALL iems come to that point where you are going to get different sounds sonics verse better.

so to answer your question in short. yes

i understand now! thanks Moose9 +1 to you haha
Wow! thanks for this :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 72
Hmmm, if you are not hearing a difference between the Beats (very muddy and bombastic to me) and the Philips SHE-3580/3680 (full, clear, amazing for $15), then I would suggest you stick with the $15 Philips.  They won't get you any chick/street/club cred because they aren't what performers and pro athletes wear, but they are great for listening to music!

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 72
  Hmmm, if you are not hearing a difference between the Beats (very muddy and bombastic to me) and the Philips SHE-3580/3680 (full, clear, amazing for $15), then I would suggest you stick with the $15 Philips.  They won't get you any chick/street/club cred because they aren't what performers and pro athletes wear, but they are great for listening to music!

oh no, i dont own either of those, im just saying that ive used both before and didnt notice a difference haha, i got the Velodyne vPulse coming in the mail tomorrow, they are rated as one of the best IEM's to buy for $100 dollars, im just wondering if there actually will be a noticeable difference between a 15 dollar pair (Phillips SH3580) and these haha

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 72
  oh no, i dont own either of those, im just saying that ive used both before and didnt notice a difference haha, i got the Velodyne vPulse coming in the mail tomorrow, they are rated as one of the best IEM's to buy for $100 dollars, im just wondering if there actually will be a noticeable difference between a 15 dollar pair (Phillips SH3580) and these haha

When in doubt, keep spending money.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 72

When in doubt, keep spending money.
tongue_smile.gif

I love this dude... haha exactly what i was about say XD .  we are connected :p 

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 72

Did you compare them side-by-side? It's easy to forget what something sounds like if you hear one, and then listen to another a few days or weeks later.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 72
You also need to factor in the sources - hardware, file type, music genres....even your own ears will affect what you hear.

I haven't heard either IEM so can't comment on expected differences between the two

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 72
source was my school's laptop but i will mainly be listening from my ipod touch 4th gen,  and it was from spotify. also i listen to rap, rock, mainstream hip hop, underground rap, heavy metal, dubstep, chillstep, techno sometimes, and film scores

Users who are viewing this thread

Back