is there a large amount of people here who hype up products quite often?
Oct 14, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #16 of 79
Naturally there is a lot of hyping going on on these forums, that's why you shouldn't take any reviews or recommendations seriously except from a select few people, use your own judgment.
I do like to read reviews, especially if it's accompanied with pictures, I just don't think they are all that useful besides giving you a basic idea of what to expect from a future purchase.
Sound-wise I would have to hear them to get a feel of what something is like. But reading about it is fun.

Some sub-forums here are flooded with threads about products of a certain manufacturer, and it's generally the same group of people that keeps making these threads.
What's also highly amusing is when certain individuals create threads starting with "I happened to be checking his website today, and there was a new product announcement!!", when this particular manufacturer hadn't updated his website for months.
And of course that thread turns into free advertisement space.
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #17 of 79
Most hyped products IMO incl. the following:

Yuin earbuds
They don't really sound much better than Sony Extra Bass ear buds. I think the PK3 might actually sound worse.

"Cheap" portable amps
Most portable amps sound identical or worse than Cowon's J3's built-in amp, but the portable amps cost almost the same as the player itself.

Audeze LCD 2
Same as what the others said. It's a good sounding headphone, but some people's comments were just kind of out there like, "It combines the best of electrostatics and dynamics." It doesn't really. It sounds like a good dynamic.

Audio Technica M50
For $99 it's a good starting point, but the newbies don't know that.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 79
Well....atleast we don't get as hyped as Beats and Bose enthusiasts.

I was trying out some Bose in the Apple 'booth' in the airport (forgot which airport, I've been all over the place and almost every apple 'booth' has Bose headphones), they actually sounded horrible, id probably pay about 50 bucks for them, literally 

and I heard a guy (I'd say about 15) saying : "Mom!! OMG Bose headphones!! can I try them please??!!??!!

his mom: "why??"

him: "CAUSE THEY COST LIKE A MILLION BUCKS!"

*he comes next to me and tries them*

Him: OMG they sound so good!!

And I remember when I didn't know anything about headphones (I didn't even know what Bose was, exactly) and I was even disappointed in them cause they sound just like on-ear apple earbuds.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 79
 I've been guilty of over-hyping, and getting up my expectations too much due to over-hyping. It happens everywhere.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 79
I know exactly where most of the OP's quotes came from...

Anyway, I try to recommend products with reservation, knowing that people have different sound preferences that are most certainly not mine, and on top of this, when it's a headphone I've never heard (which is most of them), I state that the models in question are popular here for that given set of preferences, but I cannot form my own opinion on something I've never heard. Audio's too subjective of a subject, and the only real way to know if a given sound fits the listener is to audition it directly...which often isn't going to happen without outright buying the piece of audio equipment first. (Especially with electrostatics.)

As for hyped products, I just got my Panasonic RP-HTF600 today. Too much hype to ignore, and for $30-35, I might as well pass my own judgment on them. By no means do I expect them to replace my Stax SR-Lambda setup; they're very different headphones that excel at different things, and it's not like I'm forced to own only one headphone. On top of that, I try to stay away from saying that headphones are "giant killers" or outright better than another, which I think causes a lot of the hype to begin with.

If anything, some may think that the known name brands are a bit too overhyped regarding certain models and let some gems in the rough pass by unnoticed...for example, some people are of the belief that the AD700 is way overrated and the SR850 needs more love. (Not-so-coincidentally, they love bass...)

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #24 of 79

Quote:
What are some of the most epically over hyped headphones on here ever?

RE0, especially when it used to cost $199.

Quote:
Most hyped products IMO incl. the following:

Yuin earbuds
They don't really sound much better than Sony Extra Bass ear buds. I think the PK3 might actually sound worse.

"Cheap" portable amps
Most portable amps sound identical or worse than Cowon's J3's built-in amp, but the portable amps cost almost the same as the player itself.

Audeze LCD 2
Same as what the others said. It's a good sounding headphone, but some people's comments were just kind of out there like, "It combines the best of electrostatics and dynamics." It doesn't really. It sounds like a good dynamic.

Audio Technica M50
For $99 it's a good starting point, but the newbies don't know that.

Yeah, the high-end Sony earbuds like the E888 and E931 were never mentioned on head-fi, at least not during the Yuin hype phase, and I preferred a standard issue Sony earbud (E708 I think) to the PK2 myself.

I agree with your portable amps comment, for the price and size I've felt like they do very little towards sound quality improvement, and you could have just put the money towards a much better DAP.
Someone that wants an iPhone 4, Fostex HP-P1 and flagship custom IEM, well that's a totally different story.

I've never heard the M50 and it may have been hyped around here, but at least since it's Audio Technica we know it's not a case of shilling.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #27 of 79
the FOTM now seems to be those panasonic headphones the Heya guy keeps talking about, wonder if they are still that good after the hype is over.

one of my favorites ever is the alessandro MS1, and it was a big hype long ago, some hypes are just too dman good.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 79
Does a bear s**t in the woods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back