is there a large amount of people here who hype up products quite often?
Oct 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

mclldavidson

100+ Head-Fier
I posted on another board about some headphones I saw people here raving about and a few people made comments like
"Typical head-fi flavor of the month chatter"

"i'm a big headfi-er. i would wait to get more reviews in. headfi always gets the 'great new budget headphone' hype, and its usually a handful of posters doing it."

"Just FYI about head fi users. I love the forum and everything BUT it seems like they love raving about what they buy. Not a lot of unbiased opinions."

"It's usually a mix. If you have a few or less people praising something, I'm usually skeptical. But if you get 200+ pages going in a thread, it's probably worth checking out. Even then, though, people can also be quite critical on their. The more time you spend there, the easier it is to pick up on the truths that are actually truth for you. I don't think people are as biased as you may think...sound preferences are very personal, though you do get the random excited people raving about something that no one else really enjoys. Hence the being skeptical in some cases."

"it's been amusing watching newer head-fi members hype the crap out of these headphones recently. I'm curious how decent they actually are, but I've been "victim" of FOTM a few times in the past and am hesitant to spend/waste another $30 when i have more than enough good headphones lying around unused."

Is this true?  Does a lot of this go on here?

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 79
FOTM is a core component of any large community, online or offline.  You get the same thing in any other community, such as gaming, music, cars, politics, etc.

Fwiw, there is a lot less conspicuous consumption that goes on here than other audiophile forums.  The vast majority of recent discussions center around $50-300 headphones, and Fiio and Schiit devices.

Just go Stax and be done with it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 79
There is a lot of FOTM hype here, and it quite often centers around some very dedicated proponents.  I would like to avoid naming names, but you see the people pop up in reco threads with their headphone as if someone paged them.  Or they're the ones in the review threads addressing all the posts in a manner that smells of shill.

Not every outspoken fan of a given headphone does this.  But you know the ones when you see them.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 79
Yep, heaps of hype here on the forums. It's not so much of a bad thing as long as you have fun with it and don't set yourself up for unrealistic expectations.

One of my favorite parts of hype/FOTM is finally trying out a super hyped headphone, and then finally shaking your head thinking "what the hell were all these people thinking".
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 79
Yeah, happens all the time. X user buys <random headphone>, then he raves and writes a flaming review, Y user get it too and he goes into trance state and post "OMG!! best <random headphone> ever" and then all the sheep gets in the thread and they all rave about <random headphone>, Look what happened to the ATH M50, some guys were even recommending it when someone asked for a $300 headphone. damn some even recommended them when Z user asked for IEMs to use at the gym... it was kind of funny.

check out the "new DT1350 thread", it was like that and more, now some random user comes every now and then to ask and post.

I would agree with the person who said that he would wait for the hype to end and read more reviews. or you could go with the usual reviewers, Joker and dfkt and some more around rarely (or never) let carried away with the hypes.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 79
Believe it or not, head-fi is basically an enthusiasts fora, and that is a wide range of interests including fan boyism, fotm-ism, etc, etc. There is also a prominent science faction determined to keep everyone honest. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 79
Quote:
I will when the black market and I agreed to a price for my limbs.

we should run an experiment, grand random headphone, rave about it and see if the chain goes on.

Lol, that'd actually be really interesting.  We could ship a $1k headphone around the world and attach a madlibs template on reviewing how mind-blowing the headphone is.

I think a SR009, BHSE, and DAC202 can be had for a kidney in some countries?  You might even have some money left over for some Gothams and Neutriks.

And yes, the LCD-2 fanboyism is something else entirely.  I could live with them and be happy for awhile, but the religious fervor the LCD-2 threads get are perplexing.  If I couldn't afford an O2, then I guess the LCD-2 might be more interesting to me.  I've heard the LCD-2 on multiple occasions now, powered through all sorts of setups, but it didn't tickle me appropriately or inappropriately.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 79

Quote:
Yep, heaps of hype here on the forums. It's not so much of a bad thing as long as you have fun with it and don't set yourself up for unrealistic expectations.

One of my favorite parts of hype/FOTM is finally trying out a super hyped headphone, and then finally shaking your head thinking "what the hell were all these people thinking".
tongue.gif

hahaha I like this~

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 79
Out of my headphone acquisitions, the only I think ever was a FOTM was the one I ended up not using anymore. I bought the D5000 back when the fad was really in, and I ended up giving them to my sister because I didn't want them anymore; at first I didn't quite notice the overwhelming bass, but after you notice it you can't un-notice it.

I don't think the DT770/250 has ever really attained fad status - everyone I ever see recommends the 80. I've never actually heard an 80, so I can't say anything about it.

Although there was a whole bunch of chatter about the T1 leading up to its release, I don't think enough people actually bought one for it to become a fad. The HD800 on the other hand...

EDIT: Most over-hyped headphones? Stax, no question. They're good, but the semi-religious fervor is over the top. And yes, I have actually heard Stax headphones driven by good equipment.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 79
What happened to the SM3 thread?

I still think that thread drove good veterans into the shadows.

BTW, I just re-bought PK3 again.

Damn, I hate admitting that I could be happy with a $39 earbud. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back