Is there a doctor in the house? (MD or MD-in-training)
Mar 24, 2008 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I went down to my car this morning to find out that someone had broken into it again (this is like the 6th time in 4 years that my car has been broken into and damaged - all they stole was an old cassette and like $0.15 in change - the car was unlocked, but the idiots still broke the lock - I guess when you're a drug addict, you're not smart enough to check to see if the car is unlocked first).

Anyway, in my anger I kicked the tire of my car hard. Really hard. Now my toe is about 50-60% larger than it should be, and it looks really badly bruised. I can't put any weight on it and it throbs 100% of the time - although it hurts more if I use it in anyway. Even moving it without weight is excruciating.

So my question, dear doctors, is should I go to the emergency room? I can't see them doing anything for it- other than telling me what I already know (that I was stupid for kicking a tire as hard as I can). Or is there?

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 41
I'm no doctor, but something like that has happened to me before. I was jumping into the pool and my foot smashed the bottom, and it was extremely bruised and puffy.

It's possible that your toe is broken, but I'm not sure, because it could just be inflammation. The best thing is to soak your toe in salt water (preferably epsom salt) and put some ice on it. And be sure to consult your doctor.

If you go to the emergency room, the most they'll do is put a splint on it, or something..

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 41
This thread is useless without pics.

But seriously, go to the doctor. They will take some X-rays and what not. If you can't put any weight on it, and it's that big, then you probably have a serious problem.

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 41
ICE!

edit: Outside of that, apparently I'm negligent. Gee, and I'm not even a doctor. Somebody sue me!

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ICE!

One of two things happened: You've broken one of the bones in your toe, or you've just given the tissues a huge bruise. I suppose you could also have damaged cartilege between your joints as well, but that can fall under the more general bruising.

First order (once again) ice. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, 20 minutes on. Back and forth until your ice packs refuse to come back out of the freezer cold. Also, keep a towen in between. Far too many people try to get the problem areas super cold and actually give themselves frostbite. Really!

Next: Tylenol. It acts as a blood thinner, and keeps clots from getting too large in your injured area. It also keeps the pain down a bit. As long as you dont have any other drug interactions, Tylenol is fine (but I'm not your doctor!...ask if you take other meds!!!!!)

Next, elevation. You knew that, but do it anyway. This helps your circulatory system get the dead tissue out of your toe and get fresh blood in to rebuild.

If you were to go to the emergency room, they might be able to diagnose it a bit better. Also, they do have some good tools in case you have lots of pressure behind your toenail or some other place. It's not a bad idea if its way oversized and totally purple.

Otherwise, if it appears like just a big bruise and hurts a lot, the most they'll do is diagnose it and offer some pain meds. Most toes cannot be splinted due to their location. They actually would splint the front half of your foot (or cast it) and that's pretty debilitating and expensive.

Give it a few days. If the ice, elevation and Tylenol does nothing, get in to a doc or emergency immediately: something else is going on!

tylenol is not a blood thinner. nsaids are. you are never gonna get a doc to give you internet advice specific to you and you should take advice you get from the internet with a grain of salt as well as what you read on the internet. good luck

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 41
Which toe?
It sounds very much like you broke a bone in your toe, and I would go to the doctor if I were you. If it's the big toe, then it's very important that you go to the doctor.
Some toe fractures need surgery, some need just a rigid-sole shoe and anti inflammatory drugs for a few weeks. But if it is the big toe, you want to get it fixed. Otherwise you could have a chronic problem, and you need that toe for walking.

You have a couple of days before the fracture starts to consolidate, so the sooner you go to the doctor, the better.

Quote:

Otherwise, if it appears like just a big bruise and hurts a lot, the most they'll do is diagnose it and offer some pain meds. Most toes cannot be splinted due to their location. They actually would splint the front half of your foot (or cast it) and that's pretty debilitating and expensive.

The quoted piece of advice is not very accurate and borders on negligent. I know you have the best of intentions, but please get your facts straight before giving advice on medical issues.

But yeah, internet advice is internet advice. Never trust the internet.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 41
Thanks for the advice everyone. One thing that keeps bringing me back to Head-Fi as a forum, as opposed to other internet forums, is that the users really seem to care about each other.

I will go to the doctor tomorrow and get it checked out.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 41
I'll help you with the diagnoses but show some pictures.

1) Is the toe broken (can you move the toe)?
- On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the pain?
- How would you rate the pain when moving the toe (if it's movable)?
2) Do not take Tylenol. Aspirin (NSAIDs: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) would be the better option because it inhibits thromboxane (a product of platelets for platelets aggregation) via inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX) leading to "blood thinning". Aspirin also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent which should help with the swelling (inflammation).

The pain you are feeling is due to release of a substance known as bradykinin.

The main concern is not the pain or the swelling (edema) but more so with whether the bone in the toe is broken. I will assume with the little information given that it is the hallus (big toe) that has increase in size.

BTW: no doctor is going to give you medical advice over the internet (liability), if you are lucky you may get a MD in training (myself) who's up late to help you.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 41
Really sorry to hear about the break in and even more sorry to hear about your pain. I've been broken into twice in Florida. I can't imagine what it must be like after 6 times! I can understand your frustration, that's for sure.

Do get it properly looked after, even if it's terribly painful to get yourself to the hospital and back. You're probably right in that they may not be able to tell you more than you already know but they can do an X-ray to see if you have any broken bones and also give you a more definitive idea in terms of how to care for it.

It would seem that you have a rather unfortunate username, Clutz, and I'm not laughing about it. Honest. Just pointing out the irony.

I'm just now starting to feel somewhat normal are crashing my Vespa 10 days ago. I left a lot of skin on the pavement but thankfully didn't break any bones. The bike took the worst of it but I had more than 20 square inches of scrapes on my foot, knee, hand, forearm and shoulder. Basically my entire right side except for where my shoe and shorts protected my skin. Lots of bruises, but mostly a bruised ego.

I'll slow down now and try to remember where that S curve starts next time. It's not like I haven't driven the same road every day for nearly 12 years! I just was daydreaming (at 11pm) and the corner came up way too fast! Oh well, I've been meaning to repaint that Vespa from silver to a nice burgundy color for Santa season anyway. Now I have a good reason to do so! After they fix all of the dents, that is.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 41
Buy a convertible. Leave the top down.
wink.gif

And I sure hope your toe isn't broken and you feel better soon.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not take Tylenol. Aspirin (NSAIDs: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) would be the better option because it inhibits thromboxane (a product of platelets for platelets aggregation) via inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX) leading to "blood thinning". Aspirin also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent which should help with the swelling (inflammation).

the reason MD's don't spout forth? would it be a good idea to prevent clotting and hence promote healing , now ... how do fat emboli arise.......... rare for a toe but not impossible.

Brad - sorry man on both counts, actually make that all 3 - because if the Canadian system sucks as much as I have been told you will get to see the orhtopod in 3 months so that he can wire that potential crack in your toe.
evil_smiley.gif

Go and see your doctor, he may even have decent drugs to ease your pain..dB

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 41
Go get it x-ray'ed. The main danger is that there could be a fracture which enters one of the joints. If there is a significant gap in the surface of the joint from the plane of the fracture, it could set you up for early arthritis if not treated.

While fat emboli are a theoretical possibility with any fracture, I doubt there is enough marrow in a toe digit to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back