Is there a difference in sound between 1/8th mini plugs and 1/4th stereo plugs?
Nov 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #16 of 18
no but 1/4'' TRS jacks can become balanced. 1/8'' jacks can't. 1/4'' TRS jacks are always balanced with 4-core wiring for professional audio gear and can easily be converted to either 4-pin XLR or to 3-pin XLR(however you want it to be). that's the only advantages though. only difference in sound some might notice is stereo imaging but then again most headphones nowadays only use 3-core wiring even is it houses a 1/4'' TRS jack. lot of vintage studio headphones housed a 1/4'' balanced 4-core TRS jack. you don't have to worry about since most likely your headphone has a shared ground and is 3-core wiring. most marketed audiophile gear is unbalanced anyways as well.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 18
1/8 trs can be 4 core as well. Neither one is inherently easier to balance - it depends on the wiring of the headphone, more than the jack. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 18
1/8 trs can be 4 core as well. Neither one is inherently easier to balance - it depends on the wiring of the headphone, more than the jack. 

i stand corrected. thanks for letting me know. i never paid much attention to them and never really looked myself and ones i saw were just mono jacks and not stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back