Is there a difference in sound between 1/8th mini plugs and 1/4th stereo plugs?
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 18
Not unless the amp has two outputs, one for 1/4" and one for 1/8", and they have different impedance. (I've heard that's true of the FiiO E9, can anyone confirm or deny?)

While a bigger plug is more visually impressive, to the point where I know better but I STILL make sure all of the ones that are terminated with a 1/8" but have a screw-on 1/4" have the 1/4" screwed on... The fact is that when you get right down to it, the necessary conducting surface is vastly, vastly smaller than what's on a 1/8" plug, let alone the giganto-surface of the 1/4". Great for jack durability with a rather dated plug standard, though.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 18
the only reason 1/4" plugs are used in professional audio is due to not bothering to change from a standard created long ago and the 1/4" plugs have much higher durability that professionals demand. Nothing to do with sound quality.

And i guess it does have a nicer visual impact. Makes your EQ look higher quality.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 18
Did... uh... did you double post that, or was that intended to be a reply to my post? Because we just said the same thing, except I noted that it's possible the small jack on a particular device might be wired in such a way as to have a different output impedance than the large jack, which would necessarily alter the impedance relationship and thus the signal characteristics in a measurable and perhaps audible way.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 18
In terms of durability, would it be better to terminate my headphone's cable with a 1/4 jack and use a 3.5mm adaptor cable. That way I can just have the adaptor's 3.5mm coating wear away as I plug/unplug everyday?
How significant is that coating wearing out, if I just terminate with a 3.5mm end?

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
In terms of durability, would it be better to terminate my headphone's cable with a 1/4 jack and use a 3.5mm adaptor cable. That way I can just have the adaptor's 3.5mm coating wear away as I plug/unplug everyday?
How significant is that coating wearing out, if I just terminate with a 3.5mm end?

I honestly don't know that anyone has tested this. Things to consider as unknowns:
1. How much actual wear there will be over the course of 1 year vs. 3 vs. 5.... (rate of wear)
2. How much the coating contributes to SQ. 

You can, of course, always recable if it gets problematic, but speaking for myself - I have never... ever... in my 35+ years, seen a cable whose connector was so worn I've worried about its ability to function properly - including on regularly used 20+ year old headphones. FWIW. 

My personal feeling is that you should terminate for whatever size connector you will be using that phone in the majority of the time - and use adaptors for the other uses. Function first - that will make a much bigger difference in your enjoyment of the phone, than in any infinitesimal small (most likely) affect on sound quality. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 18
Never underestimate the role a bigger plug plays in your audiophillic placebo  
tongue.gif
 It's like cables!

P.S. Please don't start a cable debate here =P

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Not unless the amp has two outputs, one for 1/4" and one for 1/8", and they have different impedance. (I've heard that's true of the FiiO E9, can anyone confirm or deny?)

Just figured id input on this. The E9 does use two plugs, one 1/8' and one 1/4', the 1/8'' reduces the sound volume by a margin. It says next to them, -90db by the 1/8'' and the 1/4'' has 0db

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 18
While I'm not going to comment on any of the differences in sound, I've had a few 3.5mm jacks break and all of the gold plating has worn off of my most used set of iems.  I prefer the larger connectors just because they make a more solid connection and I've never had one break.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 18
I guess it depends on your own usage... I have never broken a connector, or seen noticeable wear on the plating. I've had wires break, and fray, etc. But never has the connector been at fault.  *shrug*

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #15 of 18
I would suggest that should you be regularly disconnecting headphones and pluggin them back in, the socket, as it contains moving parts, is likely to fail long before the actual jack does. Even then, this is a failure that will occur after thousands upon thousands of insertions - not something to worry about.

As others have said, there is a minor advantage with larger jacks when it comes to crosstalk - but it is very minor and certainly ridiculously far from being audible. Use whatever jack you want, TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back