Is There A Better Choice Than Shure SE535??? (350-500$) Need Help.
May 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

avishaysrugo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!
I'm on the verge of buying the Shure SE535 and I want to ask, are there any other IEMs that would be better for me?

I listen mostly to classic rock from the 60's-70's (Prog/Psychedelic/Hard Rock/Blues Rock and Folk Rock) and as a flautist, I am planning to start listening to classical music.
I listen to music through my iPod Classic, with no amp, if there is a small amp (like Fiio E6) that can significantly improve the sound of some IEM then it would be great to add it to the answer.

I read about the SE535 and I'm worried that their bass/treble respond is too weak (I am not looking for super punchy and heavy bass...).
My previous headphones were Audio Technica AT-HM50 and I loved their sound, but they did not suit me because I listen to music mostly on the bus so I need headphones that effectively isolate the background noise and let me sleep on the window sometimes :) ....

So my question is, are there any other 350-500$ comfortable IEMs with good isolation as (or close to) the SE535 that are better for the music I like, or are the Shure SE535 the best choice?

May 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 5
I think the SE535s are very hard to beat in the $500 and under range, if you are looking for a smooth, warm, mid-range centric sound.

My other IEMs in this price range are Heir 5.0s - they are more V-shaped and fun for some types of music, but the SE535s are voiced really, really well.

May 13, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 5
The Shure 535s and IE80s are kinda apples and oranges. I have both and enjoy them both for different reasons. I will qualify that I have the Shure 535LTDs ( Red ) which, as I understand, have a different filter that allows for a more extended treble response and I certainly don't find them lacking in that department. Filters can be bought and rather easily installed in a regular set of 535s if you'd like.

The IE80s are a bit mellower in the treble... warm if you will. They're reasonably detailed, have great bass and a soundstage that is a bit more "out of your head" than you'd get with most IEMs. When I want to sit back and enjoy music I really dig these for the open and laid back sound. The isolation is okay but not nearly as good as the Shures.

I think the Shures would cover your bases nicely and I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got them. It is a slippery slope though as I found out. While the Shures do many things very well I've bought other IEMs for different flavors. The 535s are my portable go to but as I said, I like the IE80s for relaxing, my Triple Fi 10s for rock and metal ( horrible fit though) and my Yamaha EPH-100 for other reasons. I personally have a hard time justifying customs as I've been able to get everything I want out of production IEMs. Like production models, a custom may do many things right but they're not likely going to do everything perfectly.

May 13, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 5
  I think the SE535s are very hard to beat in the $500 and under range, if you are looking for a smooth, warm, mid-range centric sound.

My other IEMs in this price range are Heir 5.0s - they are more V-shaped and fun for some types of music, but the SE535s are voiced really, really well.

This.

You might be able to score a good deal on a used CIEM on the buy/sell forums and get them reshelled for right around $500 all said and done. 

Another option might be to upgrade to a better closed set of headphones, like a modded T50RP (Mad Dog, ZMF, Pandora, etc) which run right at $300 used (the basic ZMF runs at $200 new afaik) but all of them require a decent amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back