Is the USA really a Democracy??
Feb 27, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #46 of 79
"Yeah,just friggin fire everybody and start all over.
I am sorry mrs. so and so,but you and the little ones are fkd , no food this week because your husband tried to beat me out of ten minutes."

I'm saying solve the problem, or at elast attempt to, not cause more problems.

"Or I just happen to luck out (lower price) on some materials,so instead of trying to maybe make a good profit I should pass along the savings to the customer
And oh yeah,never mind the bid I took a beatin' on.All good
But I guess that is corrupt,looking out for my family and all"

No I dont think thats corrupt. I think that you are perfectly within your god given right to do that. But you know, there comes a time when you realize you could buy an Orpheus for all your kids, their kids, and put one in the dog house just for kicks and not regret it or feel it or even really care. Then, you're not really taking care of your family you're demeaning the life of every small starving kid in the city by sending the message that, your pointless, unnecessary extravagance is mroe important than their very lives. And im not implying you would ever do that, But, theres nothing inherently wrong with owning an Orpheus. It's just when it become s a pointless extravagance that I take issue with it.

Feb 27, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #47 of 79
This is the kind of post i would usually turn and run from,but I gotta say this.I sometimes think some of the people here believe they have "rights" to all the things they take for granted.Like the "right" to speak freely and the "right" to bear arms and the "right" to vote.You simply have the FREEDOM to do all these things.Understand the difference.Freedom is something people fight and die for,"rights" are what people complain about and vote for to get after the real Patriots have fought and died to get the freedom for you all to do so.

Before I will even discuss politics with anyone I ask the questions: Do you vote?Who are local elected officials?If they can't answer those two simple questions I don't even talk to them,they are not worthy of my conversation.I registered to vote on my eighteenth birthday and I joined the MARINES a year later.Military service is not a requirement of true patriotism but it leaves no doubt in the minds of others about your loyalties and intentions.I would NEVER miss the opportunity to cast my vote under any circumstances.Too many people,Soldier and cilvilian, have died for me to have the Freedom to do so.

the question was is "Is the USA Really a Democracy?" I don't know what that means,but America is a place where anyone, regardless of whether or not they have earned it or exercise it, has the Freedom to make their voices heard.

Silence is the language of the weak and feeble.It permeates and penetrates their lives and enters into every decision they make and every decision that is made about them.It defines the content of their Character and the means and degree by which they succeed.Silence chooses when they live and when they die.The weak communicate with silence and allow silence to communicate for them.Silence is the abuse of the most basic freedom and right that the we all have, the freedom of speech and the right to vote.

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Im just saying stuff to people in hopes that someone who knows how will come up with something. I dont know what to do except try and point out the problem. If I knew I'd do it, but by the same token I don't even really know if I am right, I feel that I am, but **** I might throw it all out the window for nothing. I do know America isn't perfect, but that isnt saying much, however sitting idly by and doing nothing about it is wrong.

Ai0tron,
I know you feel passionately that certain things are bad-wrong with this country, but stop spreadin' weed killer and throw some grass, will ya? What do I mean?

My yard used to have a nice turf. But weeds started coming in (this is Arkansas, remember) and some critters moved in too. Well, I've put a little bit of everything on it and sure 'nough the weeds 'n critters die. Then they came right back!

But when I started throwing grass seed, the lawn started coming back. Yeah theres some weeds, but there is a lot more grass!

So yeah, the country and government have a lot of problems. But what are YOU doing to make it better.

Quote:

But you know, there comes a time when you realize you could buy an Orpheus for all your kids, their kids, and put one in the dog house just for kicks and not regret it or feel it or even really care. Then, you're not really taking care of your family you're demeaning the life of every small starving kid in the city by sending the message that, your pointless, unnecessary extravagance is more important than their very lives. And im not implying you would ever do that, But, theres nothing inherently wrong with owning an Orpheus. It's just when it become s a pointless extravagance that I take issue with it.

Now so you know I am not against you, the above is a place I really agree with you on. But it has got to be voluntary, or you are just robbing from one guy and not showing compassion for the person you are trying to help. Puting YOUR money (even if its a little) and YOUR time into the need YOU feel needs acting on will make a big difference - bigger than who's president.

(Hobbes for President in 2004!)

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
You guys are very dreary. I quit.

Christ can't quit! Can he...?

Feb 27, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
It seems funny to me that no matter how many times the Florida vote gets recounted, it still turns out that Bush won and Gore lost. But some people just can't believe it. I guess facts don't matter anymore.
"The United States" is a representative republic. Your vote is only a suggestion. Your representative, at the electoral college is who decides who is going to be president. Not your vote.

If you would think just a little bit, you would read my post and realize that I mentioned people disappeared from the voting rolls.
They were all Democrats. Recounts you mention are really not what counts. The recounts don't mean a thing because the the missing voters are not in the system.

I do know a little about the situation, as I live in "the" West Palm Beach County, and know people who were very surprised that they could not vote.

Of course, this is politics, and people get off on their own views.

The Democrats did a lot of damage to this country in some ways, and helped in others. Now it's the Republicans' turn to do their brand of dirty deeds. There is no doubt in MY mind that there was something fishy going on. I was up until 3am watching the Florida polls. Even the media was surprised at some results and events.

I don't mind our system. I lived in Europe for 8 years, and have seen other systems. Ours is no longer the "best". It was for many years. "Best" does not imply "perfect".

I am a Republican. But I vote by candidate and what will probably occur if they get elected.

I was a straight Republican most of my life, especially when I was working and had money and benefits. Like I said, "Bread and Circus'". But when I became disabled and now no longer can work, I have a different viewpoint. Democrats want big government, but are weak on defense and care of the country.
They are more "liberal", wanting more for those who are "have nots". This is not to say they are not powerful and rich people. They are. Republicans just want power, and don't really give a damn about the people. But they are strong on defense.

The problem in this real world, is Democrats and their benefits for the people don't mean a darn if the country is weak and military forces are decimated. I was a bit unhappy right after the election, but now I am very glad Bush won....9/11. I doubt if I would have liked Gore's policy on decisions based upon 9/11.
If you need strength of force to keep the nation and people safe, unfortunately, it's the Republicans we need.

Taxes will be cut (for the rich and powerful, and big companies).
Token tax cuts to us. Big cuts to the big guys.

It's just too bad people just can't meet halfway. People are vehement on politics. I can't talk to my brother as he is a frothing at the mouth Republican (like I used to be).

I have been around a while, and in different countries. I am glad I am here!!!! Some Western European countries are also ok.
Anywhere else? No thanks.

Feb 27, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #51 of 79
I LIKE AMERICA TOO! Thats why I care to say anything at all! Yeah, I am very dire in my tone, but I think much of what goes on in America IS dire. Especially when you recognize the fact that MOST Americans think the rest of the world is suffering so terribly that practically anything that happens here CAN'T be as bad as elsewhere. It's that willfull ignorance that scares me the most. This country can be greater than it is!! Don't pretend that it's past it's prime or at it's prime!! America wasn't founded on that kind of thinking!

Feb 27, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #52 of 79
American rocks, I just don't like the majority of the people, thas all.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #53 of 79
stuckie27: I didn't say India was not a democracy. I simply said I *much* prefer the U.S. government......I mean, the way the Shiv Sena controls Mumbai is disgusting, the way the Congress Party is being led by Sonia Gandhi makes me wanna hurl, and the poorer states constantly get trapped in "educated-but-out-of-touch-populous-and-therefore-ineffective or uneducated-but-in-touch-people-therefore-innefective loop).

A democracy, yes........not a government I like tho.

ai: Unless you were kidding and are now laughing your arse off at all of us........you make very little sense. Intellectual slavery is something we as individuals can control - not the government or any other controlling body. I didn't say I liked being in this country because "they" wanted me to (whoever "they" is) - I said it because I felt that. Do I agree with most policies the U.S. has? Absolutely not - I know enough about world politics to realize that the U.S. has some very backward policies. In addition, I disagree with several hypocritical actions the U.S. has taken in the last few years.

However, I also know that I have the freedom to say this.

Because I'm an American.......

(and the India analogy really concerns only governements......free speech, in my experience, is actually protected MORE in India...)

Feb 27, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #54 of 79
Personally i would like to take ai0tron's side.
Just because other countrys are in worse situations doesn't mean that we have to accept everything they feed us. We don't have to accept this murderous nation. But of course, it is hard to fight the system. Very hard.
Not only does america hurt us all as a country. But america hurts other countries as well.
Look at the East Timor crisis. Hey, guess who supplied weaponary to the indonesian government... America.
This so-called War on Terrorism is a joke. America doesn't see it that way. We try to fight terrorism with terrorism. We cut off food supplies to afghanistan causes alot of people to starve to death. We only hear about the stories on the news about how america is saving this country. But we never hear about the families of the people that got bombed by america.
Their are many other instances of things like this happening. More than you could guess probably.
It is time for people to realize what is happening. This acceptance of everything has to stop now.

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #55 of 79
this is not "A Clockwork Orange"
Accept nothing !
Do the homework and then decide.Only the weak of mind or heart take everything they read/hear as gospel.Stand up and be counted

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

(but you gotta do the damn detective work man)

cool.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #56 of 79
I dunno - I guess I agree with ai in some ways - I mean, I never really said the U.S. was super.

Comparatively, tho, it is.

In my meager experience, that is.

Mar 1, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #57 of 79
I've found a similar argument at a forum I also lurk at(The Free Republic).
Those who aren't allergic to conservatives or easily scared at vitriolic language may find some food for thought here

Quote:

But we never hear about the families of the people that got bombed by america.

The obvious answer is that almost all of the people America bombed were Taliban combatants, I doubt you can say the same about those who were in the WTC. If you meant to say that "war is terrible because it kills people" I would agree with you and add that "but sometimes it is necessary to defend our country". The serveral terrorist acts during the '90s will atest to that. I believe that going after the governments that abet terrorist organizations is a better way to disrupt and prevent another 9/11 than sitting down and griping about the roots of terrorism as we have in the past.

In foreign policy, I believe that the US supported some dictators in Asia in order to give stability to the region and contain communism. An example might be Park Jung Hee of South Korea. He declared martial law in his last few years, and sometimes tortured his political opponents, but he is revered as the magician of Korea's phenomenal economical development. Even Kim Dae Jung(the current president), who was once kidnapped and once even put on death row by Park, visited his tomb in the last election because of the popularity Park enjoys. While Park is one of the better cases, I'd say that Marcos or even Suharto is better than Pol-Pot or Mao.

Mar 1, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #58 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by sterlingy

The obvious answer is that almost all of the people America bombed were Taliban combatants, I doubt you can say the same about those who were in the WTC. If you meant to say that "war is terrible because it kills people" I would agree with you and add that "but sometimes it is necessary to defend our country". The serveral terrorist acts during the '90s will atest to that. I believe that going after the governments that abet terrorist organizations is a better way to disrupt and prevent another 9/11 than sitting down and griping about the roots of terrorism as we have in the past.

In foreign policy, I believe that the US supported some dictators in Asia in order to give stability to the region and contain communism. An example might be Park Jung Hee of South Korea. He declared martial law in his last few years, and sometimes tortured his political opponents, but he is revered as the magician of Korea's phenomenal economical development. Even Kim Dae Jung(the current president), who was once kidnapped and once even put on death row by Park, visited his tomb in the last election because of the popularity Park enjoys. While Park is one of the better cases, I'd say that Marcos or even Suharto is better than Pol-Pot or Mao.

Ok, so the war is supposed to be for peace? Oh, so now you can gain peace from death and destruction?

Remember the Oklahoma City Bombing? I don't recall anybody declaring war on texas because of that act of terrorism from Timmothy McVay. He was given a trial (even though he still ended up dying from lethal injection).

In my mind war in the biggest cowardist act that can happen.

About foreign policy, the reason we support coutries like indonesia and others is for our personal gain (ie - oil, exports from companies that can get cheap labor and such).

Maybe i am not all that smart, but i know something is ****ed up and i don't like it.

Mar 1, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #59 of 79
you know eli,guys like you enjoy the lifestyle and then bitch about the means to attain it.

And we should turn Texas into a parking lot because of a couple of retards ?
And we should also allow a systematic destruction of our country by a poeple that has nothing better to do than blow **** up ? A global terrorist network with no goals other than our total destruction

Pathetic man.FKN pathetic.
Kinda like shooting your parents for giving you cable TV but you do not approve of their job
Get a life

Mar 1, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Eli's Adventure

Ok, so the war is supposed to be for peace? Oh, so now you can gain peace from death and destruction?

Yes, if you win.

Quote:

Remember the Oklahoma City Bombing? I don't recall anybody declaring war on texas because of that act of terrorism from Timmothy McVay. He was given a trial (even though he still ended up dying from lethal injection).

The obvious reason is that he was a US citizen. While McVay wanted to change, replace, and otherwise overthrow the GOVERNMENT, these people beleive that YOU and the people you care about should be exterminated from the face of the earth.

Quote:

In my mind war in the biggest cowardist act that can happen.

In my mind, failure to fight for your core beliefs and for the innocent when they are under attack would top that.

Quote:

About foreign policy, the reason we support coutries like indonesia and others is for our personal gain (ie - oil, exports from companies that can get cheap labor and such).

And there foreign policy isn't for THEIR personal gain?

Quote:

Maybe i am not all that smart, but i know something is ****ed up and i don't like it.

Your smart enough, but neither side in any fight is free of dirt. I don't like it either because the bad guys aren't wearing black hats. (and sometimes the good guys are)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back