Is the TubeMagic D1 w/ GE5670W Tube enough for the LCD-2?
Sep 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nothing4me

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have the LCD-2 and was looking around for a dac/amp. The Tubemagic D1 (w/ GE5670W Tube) is a DAC/Amp combo and I think it will be more than enough to drive them. However, I would like to hear other opinions.

Link to product: http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

Thank you.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
The headphone out on the TubeMagic D1 is Solid State. The Tube Out from the back is meant to be fed to another amp/receiver then to your headphones.

You are right, thank you! Do you think it will be sufficient enough for the LCD-2 though? What about the O2 + ODAC combo?

Thank you.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 6
I only have a pair of AT-A700's which are 64 ohm impedance and it was driven fine with the TubeMagic D1, too loud even. The LCD-2 from what I read are 50 ohm so it should be driven just fine with this amp. I installed a switch to select from low gain and high gain on my D1. On low gain I can turn the dial way up and not blow my ears out and I can lower it without getting any channel imbalance.

I have since picked up an Audiotrack Dr. DAC2 DX and will be selling the TubeMagic D1. I really needed a USB option that supported 24/96 and the TubeMagic D1 only does 16/48 via USB.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 6
I am sorry to say that it would probably be a bad choise to go with the D1 for LCD2. I do not own a pair myself yet but what I gathered from reading on head-fi for the past 3 years is that you simply do not pair high end headphones with a kinda crappy amp.

LCD-2 is a orthodynamic headphone and they do need alot of power to be driven properly even though the impendance is low. There are more to it than simply impendance. I do suggest you either go for a pair of cheaper headphone and buy a better amp or you save untill you actually can buy something in a higher price range. The schiit lyr should be a decent match from what I have read and it is about 450$. Schiit is known for giving great, if not even the best performance per dollar. (Don't quote me on this as I haven't heard all the combos in the world yet
redface.gif
)

If you really can't afford it the Schiit asgard might be the next best thing, it is only 250$.

EDIT:

Also I have done the mistake to buy to low end amp for my hd650, it is disappointing.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 6
That's good to know, I'm pretty new to this whole scene of headphones and amps. I've haven't read much on impedance and power requirements for headphones so I don't understand much of it. When I upgrade to some HD650's I'll start looking at better amps, the D1 and the DAC2 sound great as just DAC's IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back