Is the Tomahawk Enough Amp for HD650's?
Jun 26, 2007 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

YoungClayB

100+ Head-Fier
The longer I am on this forum, the more I want to "invest" in a pair of nice full sized cans.

Will my tomahawk be able to effectively drive a pair of HD650's?

-Clay

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Lol...I was just about to post this. I'm sure people will tell you yes, it will drive them, just not to their full potential.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol...I was just about to post this. I'm sure people will tell you yes, it will drive them, just not to their full potential.

It will drive them beautifully as for full potential thing, do you mean spending 1000+ on an amp. Than sure.....

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 18
Yes, it is amp enough for them. Bigger, vastly more expensive amps might make them sound better, but no more than they'd make anything else sound better.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will drive them beautifully as for full potential thing, do you mean spending 1000+ on an amp. Than sure.....

The tomahawk was made for IEM's.. They won't do a great job driving the 650's, but will do much better then the amp in a ipod..

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you mean spending 1000+ on an amp.

Not necessarily. I'm talking about driving the earphones to their full potential.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is amp enough for them. Bigger, vastly more expensive amps might make them sound better, but no more than they'd make anything else sound better.

Not true.. The 650's are known to scale very well, more so then a lot of other phones..

& there is no might about it.. Every upgrade enhanced my 650's performance..Yes, my other phones sounded better too, but not to the same degree as my 650's..

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily. I'm talking about driving the earphones to their full potential.

last yr I made a thread asking how much it was cost to get the full potential out of the 650's..& the typical response was 15-20 grand

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
last yr I made a thread asking how much it was cost to get the full potential out of the 650's..& the typical response was 15-20 grand

Good, lord!
basshead.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 18
Two important variables are:

1. How loud do you listen to music.
2. How "hot" is the source. The iModde iPod puts out 1 v/rms, the X-Dac V3 2.2 V/rms. It makes a heck of a difference in how loud the Tomahawk would play.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true.. The 650's are known to scale very well, more so then a lot of other phones..

& there is no might about it.. Every upgrade enhanced my 650's performance..Yes, my other phones sounded better too, but not to the same degree as my 650's..

I meant it more in a "might very well" sense, as in sure they would, but it's not like it'll sound bad out of a Tomahawk. I think there are two issues here, between sufficient amping (a dap by itself would be insufficient, a tomahawk sufficient) and whether the headphone is good enough to make very high-end amping worthwhile.

And in that regard, I don't doubt that the HD650 can make good use of more expensive amps. Nevertheless, $15k is ridiculous to support a $300 headphone. It's the same as people using $300 daps with stock ibuds. And I don't think it's reason enough to dampen the OP's interest in upgrading his headphones when his tomahawk will get him in the door with the HD650. He can move up from there.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 18
You know what? I thought my HD650/HR MicroAmp combo sounded amazing until I tried a "higher" amp. I did own a Singlepower Extreme amp for a while... and the SP/Senn combination was simply mindblowing. Even my non-audiophile wife agreed that this combination sounded simply amazing. My kids could even tell the difference, and they are 7 & 6. The beauty of the HD650 is that it responds well to upgrades down-chain... i.e. improvements to the source, cabling and amping. I have to say that I know I have a long, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go to really realize the potential of the HD650s, but I wan to enjoy the ride along the way, hence, incremental upgrades. YMMV. Not sure how Tomahawk synergizes with HD650 as I've never tried it... but the Hornet sounded quite sweet with those cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back