Is the Tomahawk Enough Amp for HD650's?
Jun 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #16 of 18
I tried my 650s with the Tomohawk and Hornet side by side, and while the hornet had a bit more in the bass (not sure how to define it - not volume exactly, but...more...) than the T. But the Tomohawk still made them sing, and if I had to live with just that amp/can combo, I could be very happy. I then turned around and listened to the 650s out of Ray Samuel's new Apache, and yes it sounded better. But it didn't make me think "Gee, these headphones are completely wasted on the Tomohawk" or anything.

I agree with a lot of the other posters - the 650s scale well with many different amps, INCLUDING the Tomohawk
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus, it's just so damn tiny, cute, and long-running...

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.. Guess I'll settle for less then half of their potential..
tongue.gif

Lol! True that!

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 18
The gain of the Tomahawk according to Ray, was set very low as it was designed for IEM's which sensitivity is extremely high (around 100dB/mW and up). I do not see why you want to use it for a purpose it was not designed for.
Honestly I do not see it powering the HD650 very well as you may need a more powerful mp and more more gain for that purpose...but you can try and see. As to the full potential, well the only full potential I know of in the case of the HD650 is driving them balanced, other than that they are under-performing big time....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back