is the tempurpedic Mattress worth is hype/price?
Aug 4, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #31 of 38
I used to have a shallow and small (1 square foot) tempurpedic pillow to place at my lower back while driving. Iirc this little thing cost about $70, not cheap. It was comfortable, especially for long drives, so I am still glad with the purchase. But pay attention to the observation about using it under cold conditions. When cold that material becomes VERY firm, and also rather cold itself no surprise, until you soften it down with your own body warmth.

I tend to think not everyone would really sleep better just because of sleeping on a tempurpedic mattress.

Aug 6, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #32 of 38
Just curious what any of you guys think about the "expanded queen" size. My room isn't big enough for a king bed, but expanded queen is just 6" wider than a standard queen. More is better, but does that six inches make enough of a difference to be worth $100 or so extra? Is it hard to find sheets that'll fit this size properly?

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #33 of 38
For goose down pillows, I'd suggest getting a dual chamber (there's a smaller core pillow in the middle) for neck support. You can get them at lots of places like Linens N Things, or the Company Store... There's a picture of what I'm talking about at the Company Store website:

http://www.thecompanystore.com/paren...dept%5Fid=3501

Also, forget the firmer-is-better-for-your-back "rule". It's leftover from the last century (before manufacturers began stuffing as many springs as possible into mattresses). If you're looking at a mid to high end mattress, you should be comfortable from the minute you lie down on the mattress. If you're not, forget that one and try another.

Elec: I don't know about that extra width (though I imagine the answer depends more on your physical stature than anything else), but I would just point out that if you like to bargain shop for sheets, non-standard sizes (XL Twins, California Kings, etc) are harder to find. I like to get my sheets from discount places (ABC Carpet & Home outlet, Homegoods, etc) since I'm perfectly happy with "last season's" sheets.

Not to go on for too long about bed sheets, but if you're spending significant amounts of money on a mattress get good quality sheets! You can find decent sheet sets at Ross/Marshalls/Homegoods/whatever for around $40-$50...or you can always step up and take a look around at the real goodies from a range of companies: Pratesi, Frette, Anichini, Sferra, Porthault, Yves Dolorme, etc. I'm a big fan of real linen sheets, but they're wrinkly (charming), and expensive (not charming). Also, avoid the "hotel" lines, they're ridiculously overpriced (I'm talking to you Frette) and anything with polyester in it.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Anybody want to recommend a better pillow than Tempurpedic? Mines starting to get less flexible as well, though it's still tons better than the old, regular down pillow I was using. Mind you, I sleep on my side, if that helps.

I tried the mattress briefly at a Brookstones, seemed a little too much of a good thing. I'd go w/ a SelectComfort (not outstanding, necessarily, but not bad, I've tried my parents' mattress) or maybe a different memory foam if anybody knows a better one.

Yep, get those that sell for $8.00 a pair and just replace them every year, that is what I do, new pillows every year, the rest is just a rip off....

I fully and strongly support the idea of the sheets availability, the bigger the more spensive they are, and hard to find, so don't go too big, queen or king should be enough....

Mattresses with 15-20 years warranty??? They are all a joke, maybe it is a coincidental bad luck, but I had about 3 in the last ten years, all of them got deformed in a couple of years in one way or another, mostly they got one or two inches lower in the position were we sleep, and BTW I rotate them everytime I change the sheets and bed covers, so they are that bad....well I'm a little overweighted, but what the heck they are warranteed for 20 years, so they should last at least 10....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
This: http://catalog.com/organic/buckwheat/buckwheat.html

I have used it for about 4 months now and I could not be happier. If I could construct a mattress out of this stuff and use a V-E topper I would. Incredible stuff and this is the best on the market (of buckwheat I mean). There is a chiropractic and sleep clinic right near my work and they highly recommend buckwheat pillows.

I'll go ahead an second that buckwheat rec., Zanth. I like a firm sleeping surface, and used to prefer sleeping without a pillow, whether it be down or synthetic, until i got my hands on one of these. I've gotten a few strange looks from those who've been in my room, but when i tell them to lay down and check it out for themselves, suffice it to say they're reluctant to move. Additionally, i've had mine for well over 5 years and haven't much if any evidence of wear/degredation.

In sum, buckwheat is reasonably priced and certainly worth trying.

Aug 7, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I have a Latex mattress with a woolen cover. Latex will shape to your body so you need to flip the mattress regulairly. But once it has your body shape (Up to you if you think that's a good or bad thing) it will stay good for at least 6 yrs (that how long I've got mine.) The wool cover is really good. Wool will even the bodyweight or the bloodstream will be better when you lie on wool, something like that. So it's also good for preventing bedsores. And like edwood said, it breaths, good for summer and winter.

I was skeptical of wool at first. My association has been with wool jackets and suits, which always made me hot, so I naively assumed wool would make me too hot for a sleeping surface.

But turrned out quite the opposite. VE foam was too hot for me in the summer. Was nice in the winter, though. Wool worked great either way. It's weird. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer.

I think I will spring fo a 100% wool mattress/futon in the future. From what I've heard, wool compacts less so than a cotton/wool blend. It just takes regular rotating (which you have to do with normal mattresses anyways.).

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back