Is the soundstage on M50s good enough for FPS gaming? (Torn between HD555s and M50s)
Dec 18, 2010 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

breakfast

New Head-Fier
I made a thread before but I think I had my question wrong. I've pretty much narrowed down what I want to Sennheiser HD555s and Audio-Technica ATH-M50s.

I'm looking to get some headphones that have a decent soundstage for FPS gaming. I will also use the headphones for movies and listening to music while using my computer/studying (with my ipod).

I'm leaning towards the M50s because of the closed back so I could use them at school rather than just in my room at home... but I'd put up with other headphones at school and get the 555s if the M50s are going to be no better than playing games with my TV speakers.

Cheers.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 27
Music isn't the #1 priority because I know any headphones will sound better than what I have now but I listen to a decent variety:

-mainly punk of some form of another
-a little electronic
-a little hip hop
-a little shoegaze

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 27
You will be more than happy with both headphones, for any of your needs.  Go ahead and grab the M50 so that you can travel with them, use them at the library, etc.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
In my opinion the m50's are a horrible for gaming.  

I mean they are terrible for gaming.  I can't stress this enough.  DO NOT buy these headphones if you plan to use them for gaming.  If anyone tells you they have a good enough soundstage for gaming they have never heard this headphone.  Mine sit in a drawer not being used ever since I picked up the t50rp which is better for music.  I have the ad700's for gaming and they provide great sounstage and imaging for games.  

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 27
What kind of punk? Lol.. That really matters. Also I like them for gaming. But I don't own any other headphones.. So yeah, but hes asking to compare them to the HD555's, so would you know which is better for gaming or for everything he wants all around?

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
What kind of punk? Lol.. That really matters. Also I like them for gaming. But I don't own any other headphones.. So yeah, but hes asking to compare them to the HD555's, so would you know which is better for gaming or for everything he wants all around?

Anything from indie-punk (Grown Ups, Halo Fauna, This Town Needs Guns) to pop-punk/hardcoreish (Living with Lions, Daggermouth) to The Strokes, to The Cribs, to The Shins, to Joel Plaskett, to Against Me...

Edit: I strayed from punk about half way through there and then got back on track at the end there haha

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 27
New Hardcore.. 0.0 Most bands aren't great but I will check out the ones you linked. Thanks :D

Well anyways I just want to say I game with my M50's and they are a great improvement from my Logitech Pro's. But I don't know if the 555's are better.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking for better performance in positional audio.

I found the M50 to have very good impact for games and with my Astro MixAmp it was a somewhat engaging experience (mainly in single player campaigns). Having said that, if you game competitively and value positional queues in a less enclosed soundstage, you may want to look elsewhere and more specifically at open cans.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 27
Both the HD555 and AD700 are very "r" shaped in frequency response, they have weak bass, so if this matters to you, you might want to choose another pair.

I preferred the AKG K240 (studio 55-ohm version) to both the HD555 and AD700 in the $100ish price range, they're semi open and leak a bit less sound because of this. Soundstage is not as good as both of those, but they have more than the M50, and I used them for quite awhile with gaming without any real complaints. The only problem is their lower sensitivity, it was fine when plugged directly into my Cowon D2 but it was borderline loud enough, an ipod might not cut it as they need more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back