Is the RE0 suitable for me?
Nov 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Demonic_Pope

Head-Fier
Now I've owned the PL50 for about a month now, and while I think it's a pretty good pair of earphones, I don't think they are detailed enough for me. The mids are good, but I find the lack of clarity unsatisfying.

What I'm looking for are
(1) Detail and clarity, I like good treble, but I do not want to sacrifice the mids and bass. I'm not a bass addict, but I do find the bass in the PL50s just slightly underwhelming in impact. Just slightly. I know the RE0 blows the PL50 out of the water in terms of treble and clarity, but ss the RE0 better in bass impact?

(2) Soundstage. I like my soundstage to be wide. I have never tried any of the high-end IEMs like the IE8, but I find the PL50 to have an average or just above average soundstage. How does the RE0 compare?

My budget is under $100, and since the RE0 is now $79, I'm seriously thinking of getting them. This will be my final purchase. I will not be buying another pair for a long time.

Some artistes I listen to:
Muse, Broken Social Scene, Manic Street Preachers, Pink Floyd, The Dear Hunter, Belle & Sebastian, The Dodos, Arcade Fire, Lily Allen, Regina Spektor, Hot Chip, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Micheal Giacchino.

P/S: I have an iPod classic (2009 revision), unamped.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonic_Pope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will be my final purchase. I will not be buying another pair for a long time.

LOL, that's too funny. I think we all told ourselves that before, especially when we just joined head-fi. You are a better person than me if you can stand the temptation.

But seriously, RE0 got decent bass extension (but not quantity, IMO). RE0's bass is nowhere close to Turbine though. I don't know how PL50 sounds, but RE0 sounds better than my sony MDR-EX700LP.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 31
Haha, well unless I'm unsatisfied with the next purchase I make, I wont be buying another one for sure. I just want to find one which I totally like, and be done with it for the moment.

Anyone who has heard both the RE0 and PL50 care to comment? Thanks.

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonic_Pope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

My budget is under $100, and since the RE0 is now $79, I'm seriously thinking of getting them.

I definitely missed a thread. Where can you purchase RE0 for $79?

I have a pair of iM-590s on order ($48.70 shipped free from Amazon), but I would think hard on returning them and buying the RE0s.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 31
Well I just found it myself, crap. On Head-Direct.com they have put the RE0 on sale Arghhhh! I find this out just 2 days after placing an order! How long ago was that changed??? I know that I checked there while doing my research late last week.

Update 11/09/2009
Never mind weighing in whether to return the iM-590 in favor of the RE0s. I decided to keep the iM-590s when they get to me and order the RE0s too. Its an early Christmas this year. With 3 pairs of IEMs on the way, I'll have plenty of toys to play with over the holidays.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 31
Ennio Morricone.. good taste my friend
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 31
RE0 has it all IMO - great, deep, tight, accurate, fast and neutral bass, smooth refined, highly detailed, natural midrange and wonderfully extended perfectly neutral and detailed treble. For $79 they are an absolute steal. They sound beautiful with Ennio Morricone and pretty much all kinds of other music as well. If you do get them, make sure you burn them in for at least 100 hours to let the bass come through. After they are fully burned in, you will be surprised by how great the bass is, provided that you get a good seal of course. I recommend getting some UE Super.fi/Triple.fi single flange silicone tips for the RE0 to tighten up the sound.

Oh, as for soundstage - RE0 has a normal soundstage for an IEM - fairly wide and with good depth, if you amp them. Unamped, it lacks some depth. However, its strengths more than make up for any weaknesses in imaging and soundstage IMO.

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 31
Thanks for the reply. I don't have an amp, and I remember reading the RE0 needs a fairly powerful amp to truly shine, so less powerful amp like the ones from FiiO arent going to do much good are they?

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 31
I don't think RE0 "needs" an amp to blow lots of IEMs out of the water. While I've not heard the PL50, I can tell you that I vastly prefer RE0 over every Sennheiser CX IEM, ADDIEM, NE-7M, and ER-6i.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 31
While the RE0 doesn't need an amp, are there be any good, cheap, portable amps to make it better? If the OP has another $20 to spend, can you get a better amp than say the FiiO E5 (or would it be better to just stick with no amp)?

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think RE0 "needs" an amp to blow lots of IEMs out of the water.

Indeed, but RE0 does benefit well from a good amp, especially on tightening up the sloppier bass when the source has a weak output (such as my Nano4).

Using E5 is not without a trade off. You get more bass but at a slight cost of treble detail. On the other hand, E1 doesn't have that problem - but you can only use it with an iPod.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by trivik12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is a good IEM for sure. But head-direct provides just 90 day warranty. That seems low for not exactly cheap IEM.

I think you mistake RE2's warranty with RE0's. The later is still '30 days refund and 1 year replacement.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back