Is the Orpheus really all that?
May 23, 2006 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

pawlowski6132

Banned
So, if I hooked up my AKG K1000s to any of these amps below would the Orpheus be that much better? People around here talk about it as being the end-all of amps. Or, is it just the best dedicated headphone amp - sort of best in breed but not best of show?

1. Zanden
  2. Art Audio
  3. VAC
  4. Cary
  5. Audio Note
  6. Wavac
  7. Lamm
  8. etc.

May 23, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Oh, yeah. I mean the HEV90 and matching cans.

Yes, it is all that, and a bag of chips, and a little cup of dip. It is organic like no other.

May 23, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Maybe?

You'll have to try it for yourself. But wmcmanus has the Orpheus system and the EAR V20 + K1000 comment, so maybe he can comment.

Both are totally mezmorizing, but I can't really ever decide which I like better. When I listen to either system, I have no desire to switch to anything else so I usually get locked in for the night and don't really do many A/B comparisons.

The K1000's do come alive with the right amplification. I really enjoyed them with the RKV, but I would have never expected them to suddenly be at or near the Oprheus level simply by upgrading amps. Of course it is a matter of taste more than anything, and because of the K1000 design, the musical presentation is entirely different than what you will experience with any other headphones. Thus, even if you do direct A/B comparisons it's still apples to oranges.

May 23, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yes, it is all that, and a bag of chips, and a little cup of dip. It is organic like no other.

I forgot to mention that the chips are the really tasty Sweet Potato kind that you can find in the "organic" section of your supermarket for $5 a small bag, the kind you get every time and curse yourself for when you get to the checkout.

Also, the little cup of dip is in the finest china, and is made fresh for you by the local natives from the tropical island down the street.

May 23, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 130
It's not the be all, end all system. There is no such thing. Too much is subjective. Any system will have its supporters and detractors. That said, the Orpheus seems to have a high supporter/detractor ratio, and many feel it's the best they've heard. But of course there are still those out there that dislike it.

And the Orpheus system is a really good example of synergy, or being more than the sum of its parts. By most accounts, the HEV90 isn't the most technically impressive amp out there, but it mates so well with the HE90. They were made for each other. Literally and figuratively.

May 23, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 130
Quote:

I forgot to mention that the chips are the really tasty Sweet Potato kind that you can find in the "organic" section of your supermarket for $5 a small bag, the kind you get every time and curse yourself for when you get to the checkout.

Those are so good!

May 23, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Those are so good!

EXACTLY.

Oh, and the chips and the dip do not make you fat. You keep eating them, and you actually get thinner. No joke.

May 23, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 130
Quote:

Also, the little cup of dip is in the finest china, and is made fresh for you by the local natives from the tropical island down the street.

Bizarre.

May 23, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 130
Quote:

EXACTLY.

Oh, and the chips and the dip do not make you fat. You keep eating them, and you actually get thinner. No joke.

Wonderful comment!

May 23, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
The K1000's do come alive with the right amplification.

I'm loving my Ayre driving K1000s (good clean balanced power). Detail and sense of space that could rival a pretty pricey set of speakers. And so much dynamic range and slam that today I bought a Radio Shack SPL, just to make sure I don't over do it.

I swear on Diana Krall's Live in Paris -- if your arms were long enough -- you could reach out and touch her piano (remember, house rules prohibit touching the performer!).

May 23, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #15 of 130
Quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back