is the only problem with the triports their price?
Jan 14, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
They may beat the snot out of the triports in mids and highs, but the triports have much better base. As for the flimsy headband problem, I never had that problem. Mine are still very strong and sturdy. yes I would buy them for 50$, but thats just my opinion.

I disagree... IMHO the bass (and sub-bass) from an amped portapro is better. Thats my oppinion... Oh one more thing... I demo'd the ~$160 blue bose can, and thats what Im comparing. Whichever one that is IMHO its still over priced.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #17 of 32
I think they would be acceptable at $50, I'd take them over portapros if both were $30. They sound alright, bass is good, and they are very comfortable with ok isolation.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucbEE
I think they would be acceptable at $50, I'd take them over portapros if both were $30. They sound alright, bass is good, and they are very comfortable with ok isolation.

Bass is present but doesn't go very deep (at least not at the price point). I think they are a little bit better than the koss headphones that are popular here. They aren't my thing aesthetically, but some people would find them pretty. $50 is reasonable, but they wouldn't be my choice even at that price. Build quality and sound quality are way off from $150 though, as others have mentioned.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by onionblaster
Just for curiosity's sake, I've heard the bose triports get bashed around here a lot, but mostly for their price. Are they at all redeemable in terms of sound quality?

Let me put it another way: if they were being offered for $50, would they be worth that?

No. They sound all wrong to me...music shouldn't sound that way. Koss KSC75 would still be better at any price.

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
my best offer is $30. i'll add a extra $5 just for the Bose logo on the cups
rolleyes.gif

haha i'll give 60-70.

using EQ they should be able to sound ok. they look cool too.

regardnig the first post. my friend got some bose headphones, seem a step higher than the tri's. they were BASS BASSB ASSB ASSS and not that great bass anyways. the treble was weak and harsh, and no mids i think. (or the otehr way around i suck at identifying..growing in the audiophile stage heh)

edit this is weird. maybe im listening to wrong things..or learning the wron terms. ahha i guess it IS all mids no bass... or. oh well.. NOOB STIKES AGAIN
cool.gif

bose sucks imo. and my school jst used a couple of thousands of dollars to make all the schools speakers bose. HAHA. suckers (music teacher wasnt impressed)

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #21 of 32
I've owned two pair (yes, I replaced a pair after my cat chewed through the cord on the first.)

To quote a great, well, to quote an American, "Fool me once, shame on, shame on me. Fool me, can't get fooled again."

What irks me is that while looking for a replacement, I came to head-fi and didn't heed any warnings!

So, I used the Triports for about two years. If you've heard nothing else, they aren't bad, in all seriousness. In the same way that you think peanut butter is the greatest thing you've ever tasted until you've had filet mignon. AT THAT TIME, I thought the details were incredibly clear, highs and mids were crisp, bass was full and low.

Now, I've used my Ety's for two months. By comparison, highs are intolerably rolled-off with the Bose. Mids are acceptable, not great. Bass is bloated, booming, while smooth. It muddies-up everything else. I've only the Ety's to compare against, but after doing so, I can see that there's no separation in frequency. Bass overpowers everything else and feels a part of the highs and mids. As others have said, also the build quality. Certainly not worth the price they want.

But again, it's all relative. If you see the price and think "Man! Those must be awesome" and that's your reason for buying them (as I did, twice) then you're poorer for not doing more research, but you're also blissfully unaware.

Don't think Bose isn't developing ear buds/canal phones. When they hit the market, anyone who might have thought about venturing to other brands for compactness may just stay with a brand they know. But don't feel sad, it's always much more fun to go see a favorite band with 200 true fans than with 8,000 frats boys. Let 'em have 'em, I say.

Jan 14, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #22 of 32
I don't think we're giving Bose enough credit for the design of the Triports. They have a great form factor. They are a lightweight, easily driven, portable, closed, isolating, comfortable, circumaural can. If they'd just toughen up the construction and make it so they didn't have a v-like frequency response it would be a very decent can indeed. Other manufacturers could take a page out of the Bose book with respect to form factor here.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #23 of 32
They are about a $30 headphone in my mind as well. How does everyone here stack the nois ecancelling models though. Does anyone consider any of the other noise cancelling models to be worth their price, such as the Sennheiser PXC250's or the shure in ears?

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 32
Take that $50, save up around $20 more and you can get a pair of Grado SR-60s. Much much better than the Triports.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 32
I MIGHT pick up a pair for $49.99 now. But long ago when I didn't know much about headphones I figured $149.99 was a great price for those.
blink.gif

I would much rather put the $50 into a set of SR60 or 80 Grados.

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
I would pick them up for up to $80. To me they sound good. I really dont know why everyone hates them.....

Maybe because they don't sound better than my $30 Panasonics and have worse build quality? Just a guess
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
The Bose triport are ok, but their construction is rather poor. I never found a store demo that was in working operation.

but anything demoed at a store is subject to 438723497629384956826 times the abuse they normally would... i mean look at game systems at stores... how many of those have busted controllers? even the xbox with it's excessively tough controller...

people who use the store demo stuff no matter what it is treat the stuff alot worse than they treat their own stuff... but yeah the tri-ports are flimsy... i tried some one time at best buy... i almost put them down the second i touched them out of fear of breaking them didn't like how they sounded anyway

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #29 of 32
They are comfortable but the first thing i noticed was scouped mids. I play guitar and right out of the box i could hear the cut in the mids. I didnt really want this, specialy for $150.

I agree they wouldnt be bad if they were around $50. i probobly wouldnt use em though.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Their marketing techniques are powerful, but the curse of headfi is even STRONGER than that!
tongue.gif

The curse of headfi is already impactful on its members ... it will hit you from both phones side and net billing side.
eek.gif

Seriously for $50 there's still philips hp890 waiting on the line. I might position them triports between sporta pro (better sound) and hp890 (better build). Maybe bose will hire me one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back