is the ipod classic the ipod of audiophiles?
Feb 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #121 of 186
Please don't spread misinformation on this thread. There was a time when you couldn't bypass the ipod's internal dac. But now, there are several products available that can do this. One of them only cost 99.00. There's even a portable option available that can do this, although it is an expensive piece, it's still portable. The istreamer isn't portable, but it is transportable and small at also.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #122 of 186
False. There are several products  that are made to take the digital signal from the iPod and either use their own DAC and/or export digitally to another external DAC. However, they are generally expensive, and only one of them that I know of can be operated by battery.

EDIT: Beaten by Moodryn. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #123 of 186
Sorry guys I'll edit the posts.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #124 of 186

Quote:
Please don't spread misinformation on this thread. There was a time when you couldn't bypass the ipod's internal dac. But now, there are several products available that can do this. One of them only cost 99.00. There's even a portable option available that can do this, although it is an expensive piece, it's still portable. The istreamer isn't portable, but it is transportable and small at also.

Quote:
False. There are several products  that are made to take the digital signal from the iPod and either use their own DAC and/or export digitally to another external DAC. However, they are generally expensive, and only one of them that I know of can be operated by battery.

this is great information, saved me some serious bucks.. all very much appreciated. can anyone recommend a portable DAC that does indeed bypass the iPod's internal DAC? interested to hear which one the $99 option is, and if it's worth it. currently listening to a 6th gen iPod Classic > pa2v2 > grado 325is & ATH-M50

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #126 of 186
macrocheesium is right that you can't use a typical dac with an ipod though which was his intention, it has to be a specialized one. This solution is even more scarce for portable use. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #127 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rataplan
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the info! now i'm torn between the storage space vs. sound quality, might look into getting a used 5G at 60gb, or do think an external DAC would be a better investment (while maintaining storage space mind you)? also, if i get DAC why then isn't the signal going into it analog already since the iPod has its own DAC? one question leads to another i guess, but thanks for all the info provided thus far!

Just to make your choices more complicated, if you get an inexpensive 5.5G, you can then upgrade its storage while also installing a higher capacity battery. 30 gb becomes 120 gb, 80 gb becomes a 240 gb. The upgrade kits are here.

Most people would just go with the ease of a 160 gb Classic though.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #128 of 186
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

this is great information, saved me some serious bucks.. all very much appreciated. can anyone recommend a portable DAC that does indeed bypass the iPod's internal DAC? interested to hear which one the $99 option is, and if it's worth it. currently listening to a 6th gen iPod Classic > pa2v2 > grado 325is & ATH-M50

Even if it is $99, it's not portable, so why not get a DAC for your laptop? I'm not sure why you would want to use an iPod for listening when you're not on the go, when you have a laptop that wouldn't even require the piece. And if you get something like the uDAC-2, you wouldn't even need an outlet to plug it into, which would be even more "portable" then an iPod+digital out device.

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #129 of 186

Quote:
macrocheesium is right that you can't use a typical dac with an ipod though which was his intention, it has to be a specialized one. This solution is even more scarce for portable use. 

No he isn't. He didn't say you can't use a typical dac with an ipod like you are suggesting. He said there was "no" way to get a digital signal from an ipod. What you suggest he said and what he actually said are to different things.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Even if it is $99, it's not portable, so why not get a DAC for your laptop? I'm not sure why you would want to use an iPod for listening when you're not on the go, when you have a laptop that wouldn't even require the piece. And if you get something like the uDAC-2, you wouldn't even need an outlet to plug it into, which would be even more "portable" then an iPod+digital out device.

I agree, that's the criticism I had with the istreamer. I would rather use my desktop rig for stationary listening. But if you want transportable, the istreamer is a good option for someone who doesn't own a laptop. But still, I would rather use my laptop for transportable listening, but for others, they may prefer the ipad/ipod-istreamer combo. There is one portable option to extract the digital signal from an ipod, but it will never be an option for me because it cost more than pretty much any ipod on the market. But with the flux of products recently released that can extract the digital signal, I remain optimistic that a reasonable priced, portable option is just around the corner.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #131 of 186
whoa, info overload... i feel very up to speed on this matter, thanks!

for me, a portable DAC is ideal because i don't listen to music from my work computer, not to mention the commute.

due to budgetary restraints i'll probably just wait until i my 6G iPod battery kicks the bucket then spring for a 160 gb classic... though the 5/5.5 G hard drive/battery upgrade seems like a fun project. I'm sure my setup will eventually see desktop DAC. i've got lots of research to do, and possibly some listening at the upcoming toronto meet up!

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #132 of 186
Unfortunately, rataplan, the only portable option for taking a digital signal from an iPod was ~$650 last time I checked.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #133 of 186

Quote:
Unfortunately, rataplan, the only portable option for taking a digital signal from an iPod was ~$650 last time I checked.

dang. looks like true hi-fi is a stationary affair!

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #134 of 186
Speaking from someone who has had a few ipods, u2 edition black and white display, ipod photo 20gb, 5.5 gen 30 gb video, ipod touch 1st gen, 2nd gen 32gb, ipod classic 160gb, and a 2nd gen 2 gb nano. I can safely say I the 5.5 is warmer than the newest ones, but i actually prefer the sound of the newest model even though it doesn't have the treasure wolfson dac chip. It has a flatter response IMO.  I also have a sansa fuze v2 rockboxed, and that is my go to for a non amped portable.  

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #135 of 186
I have a zune120, love it.
same for the zune8. - new battery and works like a charm.
the ipod video 4g 30 gb also has a new  battery, this one from amazon, this is amazing, it can go over 20 hours, more than the original playing time.

clip+ is special, as in ''it fits in my small pocket and i can mistreat it'' special.

funny thing, i got me a zune8 from ebay, 10$ and the owner says it wont start, pretty much every piece can be bought for cheap, i did it for the lulz and for the heck of trying, Im pretty confident i can fix it.

none of those have a LOD, although the zune has this Dock line out splitter which has independent volume control, but cant notice a different out of it or the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back