is the ipod classic the ipod of audiophiles?
Feb 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #136 of 186

Quote:
Speaking from someone who has had a few ipods, u2 edition black and white display, ipod photo 20gb, 5.5 gen 30 gb video, ipod touch 1st gen, 2nd gen 32gb, ipod classic 160gb, and a 2nd gen 2 gb nano. I can safely say I the 5.5 is warmer than the newest ones, but i actually prefer the sound of the newest model even though it doesn't have the treasure wolfson dac chip. It has a flatter response IMO. 

Which "newest one" are you referring to?  The Classic 16gb?  Or the nano?

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #139 of 186

Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified that statement. I was comparing the 5.5 gen video to the 7th gen 160gb classic

I used to own the 5.5, but that was back before I understood what good headphones were, so I can't really comment on the sound.  I own the Classic 1st gen (I don't really like it, but mine might have damaged hardware) and am getting the revision (7th gen) sometime this week.  Glad to a see a thumbs up in the 7th gen's direction.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #140 of 186
For those whose aims are grimly set on the 'audiophile' tag, I see it this way - if your iDevice connects to the i20, it doesnt particularly matter what it sounded like out of the stock DAC/amp - you could hook the thing up to something mega-dollar from dCS or Esoteric and scare yourself. Theoretically.

Theoretically, we all thought that would the case with the Onkyo dock, but opinions seem to be divided. Like everything in audio, not all transports are created equal, but Pure have made it extremely cheap to put your toe in the water in the hope of finding out what your little box of plastic and sand is capable of.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #141 of 186
You guys should hear the classic/CLAS combination, I am finding things in music I did not know were there, add in the bucket full of emotion it brings to the table and you have hours and hours spent lost in music!

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #143 of 186
Is the ipod classic the ipod of audiophiles?

In answer to the original question, NO.

Ipod and audiophile are antonyms.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #144 of 186
Mar 15, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #145 of 186
i started to think, that for the original question is no, but everyone seems to like ipod 4 (or iphone 4, i do not know for sure....)....

anyway, CLAS seems to be an interesting thing, as google says, but wolfson chips are in more things, some of them are a lot cheaper tan this....

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #147 of 186

Quote:
Is the ipod classic the ipod of audiophiles?

In answer to the original question, NO.

Ipod and audiophile are antonyms.

What? I have no idea how you came to this conclusion after reading the thread.

My answer to the thread title would be "No, the Video is".

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #148 of 186
^Agreed... I directly compared the 5.5g video to a Classic at B-Buy, and thought the 5.5 sounded much warmer, not as thin or weak sounding. Then when you put rockbox on it, it gets even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back