is the ipod classic the ipod of audiophiles?
Mar 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #166 of 186
I heard that the Classic forms a high-pass filter with low impedance headphones.  I noticed that the bass was always less impactful through my Klipsch S4s (16 ohms) out of the Classic than out of my Touch.

Maybe this is responsible for the difference in SQ everyone is noticing, as opposed to the DAC.  I'll try to find a link to where I found that information.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #167 of 186
Well, if I had to choose, I would pick the 5.5G video (Rockboxed).  There are just so many different options, that it would be tough to choose nevertheless.

For the complete package and versatility, so to speak, I still like the 5.5G.  Some of us are strictly iem users, some are full-sized cans, some are both.  I find the 5.5G can accomodate my various needs (full-size headphones, IEMs, vehicle, powered speakers, no iTunes etc...)  I feel it is a wonderful source with the line-out and RBs many options and can be used in many ways...

On the go or at home it is a great option...

I'm rockin' a 5.5G with the WA2 (pre-amp) to my A5 speakers atm...Sweeeet!!!!!

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #169 of 186
re: my previous posts... after much deliberation i've decided to stick with my 80 gig 6th gen classic and upgrade my home rig with a NuForce Icon HDP instead. thanks for the info everyone, you've been of great help as always.

May 3, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #170 of 186
I love my 5.5 Gen 240 GB iMod with ALAC!

Awesome player
L3000.gif

May 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #173 of 186

Quote:
Would the iMod/iPod Video 5.5g be considered audiophile standard compared to other players?

Yes, at least to me.  But I've never heard it, so I don't empirically understand it to be an audiophile player, I only assume it because of the components compared to the components of other players

May 4, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #174 of 186

Quote:
Would the iMod/iPod Video 5.5g be considered audiophile standard compared to other players?

FWIR, particularly Vinnie's marketing material, the iMod absolutely is an audiophile-grade source. Not sure why you are lumping the 5.5G iPod video with it - once modded, the iMod is a different animal - bit of a Frankenstein, really.

May 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #176 of 186
i'm worried that if i get 5th gen it'll die on me, what with being at least 3 years old... as most of us have realized at some point, most ipods crap out after a while

May 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #177 of 186

Quote:
i'm worried that if i get 5th gen it'll die on me, what with being at least 3 years old... as most of us have realized at some point, most ipods crap out after a while

I think that's a valid concern. 

May 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #178 of 186

Get Redwine Audio to replace your hard drive and battery pack when turning it into an iMod if you're worried.. I recently replaced my battery myself on the 5.5g.. Easy. Hard disk shouldn't spoil that fast unless you've been rewriting your collection daily..?

May 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #180 of 186
The Video isn't manufactured any more AFAIK, but it's easy to get a used one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back