Is the HD800 overpriced?
Jul 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #646 of 685
I'm not talking about purely bit rates and sampling rates; if you read my posts above you'd notice I mentioned mastering. High-res music tends to have better mastering (but not always the case), which has the greatest impact on fidelity. That joke of a song, Igorrr, recommended as an example of well produced music has a pitiful dynamic range, a compressed to hell wall of noise on both my TH900s and HD800s with shrieking treble. I couldn't delete if off my hard drive readily enough.

And now I'm really done with this thread.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #647 of 685
Quote:
I'm not talking about purely bit rates and sampling rates; if you read my posts above you'd notice I mentioned mastering. High-res music tends to have better mastering (but not always the case), which has the greatest impact on fidelity. That joke of a song, Igorrr, recommended as an example of well produced music has a pitiful dynamic range, a compressed to hell wall of noise on both my TH900s and HD800s with shrieking treble. I couldn't delete if off my hard drive readily enough.

Hmmm I am not really an expert but I am not sure if that is correct.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #648 of 685
Quote:

That's assuming you can even tell what its really supposed to sound like, the only person who'd know that would be producer who arranged those synthesized  samples on the gear that he uses to play them back. With acoustic music, you have a real-life reference to the instruments and performers.

Well some "synthesized" music should sound  exciting or entertaining. I realized that I have less trouble to eq an headphone to my taste,  by listening to different music, than listening to pink noise just like a popular tutorial at head-fi  explain it (I won't bother to refind it). So yeah, I have a rough idea of what music should sound, even if it's not inspired  from "natural" sounds. And I  didn't used the word "crap", nor  implied that it sounds  like "crap" on the hd800.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #649 of 685
Quote:
I'm not talking about purely bit rates and sampling rates; if you read my posts above you'd notice I mentioned mastering. High-res music tends to have better mastering (but not always the case), which has the greatest impact on fidelity

Well high res playback you said. Some music can be mastered at 96khz/24 bit, and then downsampled to 44.1 khz/16 bit, and should still sound fine.

Quote:
. That joke of a song, Igorrr, recommended as an example of well produced music has a pitiful dynamic range, a compressed to hell wall of noise on both my TH900s and HD800s with shrieking treble. I couldn't delete if off my hard drive readily enough.

Yeah that igorrr track have an awful dynamic range, curious I  didn't notice it. It was confirmed with the dynamic range meter : 3.
Ok,  you've marked a point.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #650 of 685
Some "synthesized" electronic music sounds amazing on high end headphones... A lot of people seem to sneer when bass or synthesized music is mentioned with high end headphones, but if you get stuff from good artists like infected mushroom or big bud for example that sounds amazing on high end headphones.

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #651 of 685
Quote:

I wish you would stay on. You have added some invaluable comments to the topic.

Quote:
Some "synthesized" electronic music sounds amazing on high end headphones... A lot of people seem to sneer when bass or synthesized music is mentioned with high end headphones, but if you get stuff from good artists like infected mushroom or big bud for example that sounds amazing on high end headphones.

I agree,

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #652 of 685
Quote:

I checked that out... if AIDS could be music... that'd be it...

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #653 of 685
Quote:

I checked that out... if AIDS could be music... that'd be it...

Hmm, if there was a musical genre called AIDS, I'd still be curious/ interested (i.e every kind of music has some legitimacy, including noise, with artists like merzbow).

For a total dislocation of the nervous system (and some fun) I suggest this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMe-8Tf1Y0

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #654 of 685
Quote:
Hmm, if there was a musical genre called AIDS, I'd still be curious/ interested (i.e every kind of music has some legitimacy, including noise, with artists like merzbow).

For a total dislocation of the nervous system (and some fun) I suggest this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMe-8Tf1Y0

My DT990's are pleased

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #655 of 685
When you get into niche markets... stuff just starts to seem overpriced.
I own a Cintiq 24HD Graphics Tablet Monitor. I payed $2400 for it USED.
As far as tech goes in the thing.. it's completely made out of mostly plastic. Has an LCD Panel, that's equivalent to a 400 dollar monitor Pro-art from ASUS NEW.
And the same Digitizer technology found in a Samsung Galaxy Note or Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet.

And this is just a Stand-alone 24" monitor with the ability to have Pen-Input. If you want to add multi-touch finger input.. you have to pay $1000 more. JUST for the one extra feature.

But it is what it is. It's a niche product for a niche market. But it's the one piece of technology I would probably NEVER think of selling because the benefit I get
from it for school and work is unmatched and there aren't any products on the market to match it's usefulness for what it does competitively.

I think the HD800s are very similar in that respect.... they aren't just for casual listening... they are known to be the best headphone period for serious professionals
who need the best of the best for monitoring and mixing a master recording.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #656 of 685
Quote:
I think the HD800s are very similar in that respect.... they aren't just for casual listening... they are known to be the best headphone period for serious professionals
who need the best of the best for monitoring and mixing a master recording.

Afaik, the hd800 are not used by professionals, these headphones are targeting audiophiles, i.e people that just want to enjoy music.
If there's any pic of studio/artist  using the hd800, I'd be curious to see one.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #657 of 685
Afaik, the hd800 are not used by professionals, these headphones are targeting audiophiles, i.e people that just want to enjoy music.
If there's any pic of studio/artist  using the hd800, I'd be curious to see one.

Well I mentioned Infected Mushroom earlier in this thread. They used the HD800's as their second reference source for mastering their last two (or maybe just the last) albums. There's a picture somewhere.

It's the most well recorded Electronic music artist that I know of... Granted that's really not my genre and don't listen to it much.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #658 of 685

Pics or it didn't happen! =P

Yeah, I don't have any.. I haven't seen a lot of studio pics to begin with.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #659 of 685
Quote:
Well I mentioned Infected Mushroom earlier in this thread. They used the HD800's as their second reference source for mastering their last two (or maybe just the last) albums. There's a picture somewhere.

Well, I wish could see that pic then. I'm a bit skeptical that the hd800 would be used for that kind of music.

Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen! =P

Yeah, I don't have any.. I haven't seen a lot of studio pics to begin with.

You are right , finding pics of artist/ professionals wearing headphone is not so easy.
However in the thread "headphone  sightings 2" you can see few of them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/183565/headphone-sightings-2
Can't find the n°1 thread.

Anyways, here's the challenge: post a single pic of an artist (preferably popular), or of someone working in a studio with the hd800.

I found this funny pic, on the headphone sightings thread (but it's not a producer/ artist):

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #660 of 685
Quote:

I know that Tyll recommends them to mixing professionals all the time if they can swallow their high price tag. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back