Is the HD650 the ONLY dark sounding full-sized open headphone?
Aug 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #32 of 53

Quote:
I always think it's funny to read how one headphone is really comfortable for some and unwearable to others. How there are differing opinions about how dark, bright or balanced that a particular headphone sounds.

I think the Grados and AKGs are also more comfortable. I didn't think the were terrible, just not like the Grados.

So many Head-Fi'ers. So many different opinions. :)

lol yea i found the k70x to be super comfortable but not grados. maybe bcause the pads werent worn in but i felt they were uncomfortable. the HD650 on the other hand, i felt was very comfortable.  i think when i first bought them, i adjusted the metal bands some though, is that cheating?

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by debitsohn  

" lol yea i found the k70x to be super comfortable but not grados. maybe bcause the pads werent worn in but i felt they were uncomfortable. the HD650 on the other hand, i felt was very comfortable.  i think when i first bought them, i adjusted the metal bands some though, is that cheating?"

It's only cheating if you get caught or admit it. LoL :wink:

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #34 of 53
The HD650 was a little tight for me when I first started using it but now I can wear it for hours and not be bothered by it.  The Audio Technica headphone I have is still the most comfortable though, staying securely on my head without me noticing it sometimes. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #35 of 53
Yea I was shock to see how good the pads felt on my head. And how big they was too.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #36 of 53
The HD650s start off very tight, but loosen of soon enough.  At first they gave me headaches after an hour or so, but I left them stretched out over a small box for a few days whenever I wasn't wearing them.  They're plenty comfy now though.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:
this thread got seriously derailed...

BUMP?

Still looking?

There are the LCD-2s, lots of people say they're dark.  I don't think they are, but then I don't think the HD650s are either..  Pretty expensive though.  That's pretty much all I can think of.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #39 of 53
I never found the 650s super dark, just very smooth and easy to listen to, and I didn't even have an expensive amp/dac, just an Audinst MX1. Comfort-wise, I found the most comfortable versions to actually be the Franken-650s which had the 580s headband. Super light, and no clamp at all. I know you can adjust the 650s headband by bending the metal parts, but I don't know if it gets as soft as the 580s. 

Anyways, if you're looking for non-bright open headphones, the 650s are probably your best bet

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #40 of 53
The Fischer FA-011s are the darkest open full-size headphones I've ever heard.  Darker than the DT990-600s.  I found the 650s to be bright, especially when compared with the Fischers.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #42 of 53
There are stars darker than the DT990/600...

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #43 of 53
I left my HD650 on my Sieveking stand for 1 week, never felt the clamp again after that. THe K70x stupid headband makes my head hurt though, what were they thinking when they put the bumps there? Simple physics tells you it's going to concentrate all the pressure on the bumps, i feel like taking a knife to them

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #44 of 53

Quote:
I left my HD650 on my Sieveking stand for 1 week, never felt the clamp again after that. THe K70x stupid headband makes my head hurt though, what were they thinking when they put the bumps there? Simple physics tells you it's going to concentrate all the pressure on the bumps, i feel like taking a knife to them

[size=medium]
on my rig i find my 650s a tad bass 'lite' if one believe that. its certainly clear & smooth + i have no issues with the infamous senn veil even with stock cables. my K702 are certainly brighter but no less fun & musical. i did the zip-tie mod (zip tied the ends on the metal band til the headband is held at its highest) & no issues with comfort - infact the zip'd K702 is even more comfy than the 650s.

so IMO HD650s are not the darkest nor even considered dark in my rig atleast.
[/size]

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #45 of 53
My HD  650 is not dark sounding at all. They are the newer version with silver lining but I never heard the older version so I cannot compare the two versions.
I use the Kimber Silver Streak ICs instead the copper Hero IC so I do not hear any dark or veil abnormality reported.

I love them !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back