Is The Etymotic MC5, HF5 or Klipsch Image S4 for me?
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
I never heard an Etymotic earphone before but i like analytical sound signatures. My only earphone is my Audio Technica CK7 which I love alot.

I also have the Sennheiser PX100 folding portable headphone. Great for portability but  if their is a complaint it would be the sound is a little laid back and warm. But good for what it is.

So with this in mind and these 2 being my only experience with earphones would the Etymotic clinical signature be a good match for me?

Most of my music is 1970s & 1980s pop, rock, disco, eurodisco.

All my music is encoded in flac on my cowon D2+. I want to hear the music exactly the way it was recorded.

Would the MC5, HF5 or the Klipsch Image S4 be a good fit for me or is their something else that better for the music i'm listening to?

Thank You All.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 7
The MC5 will be a good compliment for the CK7, but it won't replace or improve on it if you like the CK7 sound.  I remember the CK7 having a pretty V shaped sound -- nice tight bass, pretty sharp highs, but recessed mids -- voices sounded too cool/cold to me.  The MC5 is slightly opposite of that with a very nice mid presentation, decent but not strong bass and nice trebles.  The MC5 will probably sound more detailed and smoother compared to the CK7 just because it is more balanced across the spectrum.

The S4, OTH, will sound fairly similar to the CK7, but with a bit more mids than the CK7, making the S4 warmer compared to the coldish sound of the CK7.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 7
I havent heard the CK7 but I can talk about the MC5. It has a balanced sound, neither the treble, midrange or bass stand out but overall I found it somewhat pleasant. The sound is also somewhat revealing for a relatively cheap IEM so that may tick your analytical requirements...

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 7
After reading more & more about the Etymotic signature I don't think it will suit me. I need quality and quantity (some thump) in my bass.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
After reading more & more about the Etymotic signature I don't think it will suit me. I need quality and quantity (some thump) in my bass.

If you want some "thump", then I can guarantee that Etymotic MC5 is most definitely not what you are looking for.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 7
The Panasonic HJE900 may be right for you.  It is be better than the CK7, but not by tons -- and better than the S4 by a bigger margin.  It has the same V shape you are used to with the CK7, but just not a pronounced V, a bit more balanced -- and much more natural, warm sounding.  I've only been listening to mine 1 day and it just about does it all very well.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
The Panasonic HJE900 may be right for you.  It is be better than the CK7, but not by tons -- and better than the S4 by a bigger margin.  It has the same V shape you are used to with the CK7, but just not a pronounced V, a bit more balanced -- and much more natural, warm sounding.  I've only been listening to mine 1 day and it just about does it all very well.

1+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back