Is the Dynahi still a decent choice of Amp?
Mar 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mcmurray

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been out of the DIY game for a while now, but I'm thinking about finally getting around to building a dynahi. I've had PCB's for ages and with the release of the HD800 I should get on with it.

How does the dynahi stack up against new amp designs i.e. B22 etc. Is it still a contender for the best solid state amp? What other high end solid state designs should I be considering?

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 25
Of course!

A design doesn't get worse with age
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course!

A design doesn't get worse with age
wink.gif

I understand, but have there been any ground-breaking designs recently that are better?

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 25
Not really.

The dynahi actualy uses one particular dual complementary j-fet (don't remember the exact number, 2sk...) on the input stage that had some of the best noise and performance figures, but today it is almost impossible to get there.

AMB's B22 has provision to use a new dual j-fet but only one of the versions (PNP or NPN) is currently available, so you need to build it with matched pairs of single j-fet which in teory(and probably in the real world, I don't have the knowledge to answer to that) don't have the same performance.

The B22 is also easier to build because of the easier heatsink assembly, part availability, great website and support that AMB provides to the DIY comunity. These don't actually relate to sound quality, but are factors you need to account for when thinking about a build!

Manuel

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

The dynahi actualy uses one particular dual complementary j-fet (don't remember the exact number, 2sk...) on the input stage that had some of the best noise and performance figures, but today it is almost impossible to get there.

Are you saying that this dual complementary j-fet is hard to find?

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 25
Are the chips still available for the Dynahi? I stuck some away before the Great Tube Seduction, but I've got some spare boards. If there's a supply for the chips, I might have to build all of them out.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 25
The DynaFet, Kevin Gilmore's latest creation (Dynahi successor) is currently the subject of a group buy/build somewhere

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DynaFet, Kevin Gilmore's latest creation (Dynahi successor) is the currently subject of a group buy/build somewhere

Now you have my attention
smile_phones.gif
Has anyone here built one?

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you have my attention
smile_phones.gif
Has anyone here built one?

I doubt it... except Kevin Gilmore has built his prototype, and he did have an old thread on it in head-wize DIY area.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

but today it is almost impossible to get there..... so you need to build it with matched pairs of single j-fet which in teory(and probably in the real world, I don't have the knowledge to answer to that) don't have the same performance.

I think that singles can exceed the duals performance and matching.

Quote:

The B22 is also easier to build because of the easier heatsink assembly, part availability

You can say that again, especially if you doing it yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that this dual complementary j-fet is hard to find?

Obsolete.
Linear Devices has a replacement for the 2SK389, the LSK389, but everyone is waiting for the complimentary LS
J109 to come out, including those who are looking to build the DynaFET.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back