Is the Beyer DT880 600 ohm good for rock/metal + gaming?
Oct 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

SmettMark

100+ Head-Fier
The main genre of music I like is rock and metal, in this case, I would choose a grado. However, I want a headphone with a bigger soundstage and more bass than the grado. I will also be using these headphones a lot for gaming, so I need a good soundstage for imaging and a decent bass impact. I also listen to a couple of other genres as well, where the grado wouldn't be good since it's said to be great for rock/metal but bad for other types of music. Soundstage and a bit more bass would be great. Is the DT880 600 ohm a good option for me? I will be using it with a tube amp like the little dot MK IV. Im looking for an exciting and engaging headphone with a lot of impact. The DT880 is said to have an exciting treble which is bright, but not as fatiguing as grado's. Will it be a good option for me? Some people say it lacks body for rock, do you agree?

There's something else I wanted to add, the 250 ohm and 32 ohm editions have recessed mids, but people say the mids aren't that recessed in the 600 ohm edition. Some people say the 600 ohm's mids are a bit recessed while others say it's balanced. If in case I find the mids a bit too recessed, is it a good idea to EQ the mids or would that screw up the sound signature?

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 23
Beyerdynamic dt990 are much better for rock, metal and gaming, mostly due to a bigger soundstage and better, more resolving midrange, even though it is more recessed, and more bass to help with the kick drums and tthe bass guitar. You won't really notice that the mids are recessed unless you listen to something mid-forward IMO. Also, the dt880's are actually dark with a treble spike to my ears, and not that exciting . The DT880 more like a giant etymotic ER4.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
Beyerdynamic dt990 are much better for rock, metal and gaming, mostly due to a bigger soundstage and better, more resolving midrange, even though it is more recessed. You won't really notice that the mids are recessed unless you listen to something mid-forward IMO. Also, the dt880's are actually dark with a treble spike to my ears, and not that exciting . it's more like a giant etymotic ER4

I'm a bit worried that the highs will be too harsh and the mids will be too recessed. The dt880 seems to fix that with a smoother treble and more forward midrange. However if the dt990 is indeed better, is it a good idea to EQ the mids to make them a bit more forward? I found the mids in the ath-m50 recessed, are the mids in the dt900 even more recessed? How about the mids in the dt880?

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 23
When I had the 880/600 I found it terrible for anything but acoustic, classical and jazz. The bass was deep but there wasn't enough impact and the mids were not recessed but too polite for rock guitar. The highs stand out, but are not strident or piercing, actually pretty smooth for how bright they are.

Quote:
I'm a bit worried that the highs will be too harsh and the mids will be too recessed. The dt880 seems to fix that with a smoother treble and more forward midrange. However if the dt990 is indeed better, is it a good idea to EQ the mids to make them a bit more forward? I found the mids in the ath-m50 recessed, are the mids in the dt900 even more recessed? How about the mids in the dt880?

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
When I had the 880/600 I found it terrible for anything but acoustic, classical and jazz. The bass was deep but there wasn't enough impact and the mids were not recessed but too polite for rock guitar. The highs stand out, but are not strident or piercing, actually pretty smooth for how bright they are.

Maybe if I EQ the mids, it would have more impact for guitar, do you think that's a good idea? 

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 23
They are really great phones, but why not find a pair of phones better suited for your genres? I don't use EQ so I couldn't tell you how they respond.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 23
As your using a tube amplifier (LD MK IV), It should help bring out the best in the DT880/DT990

If you like a balanced sound, then get the DT880.

The DT990s are full bass and full treble, give a "movie theater" like sound, the bass and treble somewhat overshadow the vocals, but the vocals are still clear.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
As your using a tube amplifier (LD MK IV), It should help bring out the best in the DT880/DT990

If you like a balanced sound, then get the DT880.

The DT990s are full bass and full treble, give a "movie theater" like sound, the bass and treble somewhat overshadow the vocals, but the vocals are still clear.

I personally enjoy a balanced sound myself, maybe the dt880 will be good for me. Do you think that messing with EQ is a bad idea?

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
I personally enjoy a balanced sound myself, maybe the dt880 will be good for me. Do you think that messing with EQ is a bad idea?

Personally, I never use the EQ.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 23
     If you want neutral, then I would go for the K701, but they are utterly terrible for rock, and the soundstage is unnaturally big. the hifiman he400 is slightly not neutral sounding and amazing but they may be too expensive for you. And the troll suggestion everytime the word rock/metal is mentioned is grado. If you're into SOUNDWALL ROCKOUT, then they're amazing. but the he400 lets you immerse yourself in the music and makes you feel like the band is playing just for you, and not for all the hearing impaired and stupid people who like loud, compressed, non-spacious music.

I know its quite a sad truth but neutral headphones are mostly terrible for rock. If someone can show me a neutral headphone good for rock then I will eat my shoe.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:
     If you want neutral, then I would go for the K701, but they are utterly terrible for rock, and the soundstage is unnaturally big. the hifiman he400 is slightly not neutral sounding and amazing but they may be too expensive for you. And the troll suggestion everytime the word rock/metal is mentioned is grado. If you're into SOUNDWALL ROCKOUT, then they're amazing. but the he400 lets you immerse yourself in the music and makes you feel like the band is playing just for you, and not for all the hearing impaired and stupid people who like loud, compressed, non-spacious music.

I know its quite a sad truth but neutral headphones are mostly terrible for rock. If someone can show me a neutral headphone good for rock then I will eat my shoe.

No matter how many people recommended me grado's for rock, I always felt that there was something about them which I wouldn't like, maybe lacking in soundstage and dynamics or that I would find the sound too abnoxious. there was just something I had against grado's. I never heard them though and I should at least give them a try. The he400 seems good though, I've heard many things about it and how it's great for rock, I was just wondering how the dt880 held up. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 23
@smettmark 

Your preliminary thoughts are spot on my friend. Grado's are, in my opinion, good for guitar infested music and that kind of music ONLY. And the biggest plus to he400s
(though not over a grado ) is that they are quite easy to amp. I would say a fiio e10 would drive them jolly good.

@Rnich34 i'm not sure the discerning rock fan would allow the pink and beige bassless ad700 in his sights. Just sayin'

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 23
I meant get 2 sets. One for gaming and one for musical enjoyment. The ad700s can be had for well under $100. As to not limit yourself to getting something that's ok at both. Rather than one good at one and one good at the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back