Is the ATH-W5000 still worth nowadays?
Nov 9, 2017 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Merkurio

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there.

This this is my second thread asking for recomendations regarding a good closed headphone in the year, and while seeing the price of the W5000 on Amazon, it took
my attention instantly.

I'm looking for a closed back can with the most massive soundstage possible, with good detail, but also a nice touch of warmness that not fatigue me, and for what I read over the time, the W5000 delivers a good compromise between these aspects.

I listen mostly to classical/instrumental, jazz, progressive rock, and so on, as well as soundtracks and other vocal music (female especially).

Do you thing the ATH-W5000 would do the job for today's standards, or there're better options for the price?

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 2
I don't like the W5000 much. And no wonder...look how bad it measures!

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHW5000.pdf

(Weak bass, whacked-out frequency response, high distortion, slow impulse response...)

The Fostex TH900 is one of the few closed-backs that doesn't sound closed, but may be above your budget.

I'd look into the Audeze SINE if you want a good value high-end closed-back. You can swap the pads with 3D adapters to alter the comfort and sound.

There isn't much real difference in soundstage with headphones, though. (There couldn't be; the sound is coming from the drivers right next to your ears, so there's next to no depth.) I don't understand this fascination with soundstage, especially among headphone users. My floorstanding speakers still have an intimate soundstage compared to an actual soundstage at a live performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back