Is the 650 dark?
Jun 7, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
It is all relative...

The HD-650 will measure dark compared to the SA5000 for example...

So I wouldn't fret on this...it is a tremendously capable headphone so dont lose hair over making a decision. There are few headphones that are technically superior to it.

gs

I completely agree with Guru's statement! Darkness/brightness are "relative" terms, not absolutes. Compared to looking directly at the high noon SUN, a FULL MOON looks dark. A FULL MOON appears bright if you are looking at it in the dead of night. The SA5K's are bright (I prefer 'raised timbre') compared to every other high-end headphone I have owned (e.g. RS-1, CD3K, HD650).

The HD650's are not "veiled" or "dark", in my judgment, compared to what real instruments sound like LIVE. They are more neutral and, most probably, represent the sounds more like the engineer heard then when s/he recorded the session. That is how I perceive them...

I started out, and remain, a huge fan of the Sony CD3K's and still own a set (so it's not SONY bashing on my part). I traded the SA5K's for a set of HD650's and have since become a HUGE fan. The SA5K's were extremely harsh/shrill/thin/narrow for my tastes, but they were very detailed and had good instrument separation. To me, they were designed for studio use, but not music enjoyment. The Grado RS-1's, IMO, are poorly constructed, use cheap materials (esp. pads), and are highly overrated. I recently ordered a set of STAX SR-404/SR-313's (from EIFL) and, naturally, reserve the right to change my prioritization after I listen to them for a reasonable period.

Ken

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
It is all relative...

That said it all!

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #18 of 46
Did everyone here forget about the nylon mod? Bum some old stockings (or new ones) from your mom/significant other/own personal collection and replace the foam inserts under the headphone pads. At first, I thought it just made my HD580's sound brighter in a bad way. But, after a bit of warming up to the new sound, I liked it. Then, I got the chance to demo some MS-2's and I really liked the new HD580's
580smile.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenB

The Grado RS-1's, IMO, are poorly constructed, use cheap materials (esp. pads), and are highly overrated.
Ken

Totally disagree with you on that one.

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 46
It's been easy for me to bring the HD650 "forward" by boosting the 3K frequency range about 12 dB, by equalizer, for rock music. For classical music, such an adjustment ruins the spaciousness of the sound.

What's playing now:

Recital Trompette & Orgue
Frederic Presle and Jacques Amade
Grandes-Orgues Muhleisen de L'Eglise des Billetes
Georg Freidrich Haendel
Suite en Re majeur

Beautiful...beautiful....

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #21 of 46
Is the 650 a large jump from the hd555? In terms of accuracy, fidelity, and *darkness* or lack thereof?

Would you spend the additional 200-250 on the upgrade.... considering nothing else for now on cables and/or amp?

I'm just concerned about the darkness...

I want to know if the 650 provide better bass (less sloppy) and better extensions on the highs... is there note separation like on the sa5000? Ahh.. just give me your opinions.... I'd like to know.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #22 of 46
the 650s have fantastic, detailed, impactful bass... but it IS tipped up in comparison with headphones like the hd595, grados, audio technicas, etc... imo the hd650 is overpriced, but most people here will disagree with me. (I've even heard people call it a bargain... but to me $350+ is insane for a pair of headphones anything short of perfection) Unfortunately I havent heard the 555, so I cant really give you any thoughts relative to it.

jesse

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Totally disagree with you on that one.

I think its hard to make a case for Grado build quality, lol

jesse

edit: oops forgot this was the same thread

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
I think its hard to make a case for Grado build quality, lol

jesse

edit: oops forgot this was the same thread

I will disprove via counterexample:
Grado Hp-1000
Q.E.D.

Besides the Hp1000, I do happen to think the Rs-1 has a very very nice build, though I've not personally owned them. And my sr-225 looks like trash by comparison, but I've never had anything on it break or strain, despite the lack of care it's had in its 2 years of existence.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #25 of 46
well if you include the hp series, then sure grado has one set of headphones that isnt made like a piece of ****... john grados are plasicky, gluey disgusting messes, regardless of what you think of the sound. it is simply sub-par construction for something so expensive, and slapping mahogany on it doesnt change that.

jesse

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 46
Thinking back to the short time I owned the Grado RS-1's, I can't imagine putting anything cheaper on a set of $700 headphones than coarse/itchy foam rubber -- not even nicely shaped/contoured for comfort. For that price, they should wrap them in silk! The mahogany on the driver assembly was not evenly polished, stained, or crisply sanded. In fact, according to Headphile, Grado cannot even make both sides the same size so that someone can make a set of aftermarket pads that will snap in place. The recommended method is to use silly putty (or whatever that stuff is called) which, on a set of expensive headphones, is totally absurd. The headband and fit were way less than optimal and most owners resort to purchasing a Beyer (!!!) headband so that the cursed things don't sit too low on the ears! Couldn't Grado use a little of that cheopo foam rubber to cushion the headband a little?

In the final analysis, I thought that the Grado's sounded OK (except for some treble distortion that I detected at the extreme end), but were just not worth that kind of dough for all the physical mods required to make them comfortable. Since having purchased a set of Senn HD-650's for 1/2 the price or so, I am now 100% convinced I made the right decision for me. YMMV.

KenB

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #27 of 46
I admit, for the price the rs-1s are built very cheaply. They feel like $20 headphones. The ms-2 felt of better quality then it did imo.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #28 of 46
So I suppose I'm at the point diminishing returns... no one says go for the 650s?

I suppose I'm just going to keep the 555 and get a pair of sa1000 by sony to complement.

I'll keep the 650s in mind though, if I ever have some money to burn.

Thanks much guys!

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
So I suppose I'm at the point diminishing returns... no one says go for the 650s?

I suppose I'm just going to keep the 555 and get a pair of sa1000 by sony to complement.

I'll keep the 650s in mind though, if I ever have some money to burn.

Thanks much guys!

Well, I thought the HD650 were noticeably superior to the 555 in terms of technical merit, but the overall flavor/signature was similar (slightly dark, at least compared to ther cans). For me, the increased technical ability alone was easily worth the money, but for others it may not be. If you're looking first and foremost for a change in signature, the 650 won't give you too much of that. On the other hand, if you'd be happy with better detail/resolution/TIGHT bass!/air/extension/articulation/texture etc. over the 555, then there's a good chance the will 650 make you happy you spent the extra cash.

The 555 is an excellent can for $100-140, but you get what you pay for in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back