Is the 650 dark?
Jun 7, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #31 of 46
Kenb,
I'm not defending the build quality of the RS-1s -- but I found only one real flaw with it, the plastic that connects the drivers to the headband. It should be metal or some stronger material, and not simply glued together.

However, I regarding the size of the wood cups -- you have to understand that they are hand carved. That sort of personal touch -- if you think it is a good thing or not -- it necessarily going to end up with inconsistent sizing. I think you have to cut them some slack in that regard.

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #32 of 46
I've never heard a HD555 but IMO the HD650 is warmer/darker than my HD595 and every other high-end headphone I've heard (even their siblings the HD580/600). IMO the HD650 is WAY too dark, but that's just personal preference. The dark tonal character of the HD650 is one of the reasons why you see so many people pairing them with silver cables. Silver cables don't pair well with just any headphone (although some people have tried
tongue.gif
) but with the HD650 they tend to improve (always relative to personal taste) their sound by removing some of the darkness/warmth from their tonal character, evening out their boosted bass, bringing forward their recessed highs and adding more transparency/airyness to their somewhat stuffy sound.

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 46
Sorry to contradict you, but for me it's definitely the opposite -- the 595 is darker than the 650. That's because the 595 has lesser treble sparkle, and also because the 650 has more midrange "bloom" (in a good sense), that is, vocals have this "ecstatic" (for lack of better terms) character to them that I find the 595 lacks a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #34 of 46
For me tonal character has nothing to do with frequency response. It has to do witht the character of the sound that permiates all aspects of the frequency range. I do agree with you though--even though I find the HD595 and HD650 to both have recessed highs the highs of the HD650 are slightly more forward and crisp than those of the HD595.

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
So would it better for me to keep the 555 instead of upgrading to the 650? I like the lush sound it presents and the bass, but I could certainly do without some of the darkness. It just gets me depressed sometimes.

You should consider the Beyerdynamic DT 880. Some people describe it as a treblier HD 600. Ideally, you should sit down and listen to an HD 650, an HD 600, an HD 595 and a Beyer 880, and see which of those you like the best. Those really strike me as the next-step-up phones from an HD-555.

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim
You should consider the Beyerdynamic DT 880. Some people describe it as a treblier HD 600. Ideally, you should sit down and listen to an HD 650, an HD 600, an HD 595 and a Beyer 880, and see which of those you like the best. Those really strike me as the next-step-up phones from an HD-555.

Ah, how could I forget the HD600? Tecnically better than the 555, not quite up to the 650's level though, but with noticeably more treble energy; a nice airy sound with solid bass. It could be just what you want. Wasn't there a ridiculously cheap deal on the 600 recently? Wonder if that's still available.

I haven't heard the dt880, but from reading descriptions that one's worth a look too.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim

Where's the Grado love?
frown.gif

-Matt

Jun 8, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #38 of 46
I know..... I'm not crazy over the pseudo-carbon (of the hd600) fiber look but the deal is just too hard to pass up. This is just making my decision much more difficult.

Jun 8, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
I do agree with you though--even though I find the HD595 and HD650 to both have recessed highs the highs of the HD650 are slightly more forward and crisp than those of the HD595.

I don't think the 650's treble is "recessed" in the least, instead, it sounds perfectly leveled to the overall response till the near ultrasound for my ears...
wink.gif
(
tongue.gif
)

Instead, the 595's treble feels a little bit 'recessed', besides not as extended.
But the 595 sounds beautiful as-is.
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #40 of 46
However badly build you may THINK the Grados are, it is with this very design that it gives us Grado lovers the sound we wish to have. IMHO there is no cans that sou nd as good as Grado, of course this is imho, but we are here for sound, not build quality... I've sat on my sr325i yesterday by accident, and guess what: it did nothing to them. I could jump on the cans they wouldnt budge. Try sitting hard on a pair of HD650, see if u dont break them, and come speak to us Grado owners about built quality then
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #41 of 46
Going from MS-pros to SA5000 I even think Grados are dark. That makes HD650s at the next level: dead.

And by dead I don't mean bad, just SLOW to resolve sound. Lacking lustre and life. Missing all elements of PRAT that make you want to tap your feet and sing.

Okay, I admit, Grados make me do all those toe tapping things too, but the HD650? No. For sitting in front of the fire and dropping off... sure.

Plus, how dark must you feel to spend more on your cables than most people spend on headphones?

Gosh, I'm starting to have a bit of a strong opinion here so I'll stop.

TonyAAA

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Going from MS-pros to SA5000 I even think Grados are dark. That makes HD650s at the next level: dead.

And by dead I don't mean bad, just SLOW to resolve sound. Lacking lustre and life. Missing all elements of PRAT that make you want to tap your feet and sing.

Okay, I admit, Grados make me do all those toe tapping things too, but the HD650? No. For sitting in front of the fire and dropping off... sure.

Plus, how dark must you feel to spend more on your cables than most people spend on headphones?

Gosh, I'm starting to have a bit of a strong opinion here so I'll stop.

TonyAAA

Uh, wow, it's amazing to realize the way so very diverse reactions need be all reduced to the "matter of taste" cathegory. And then again, I guess, they're actually nothing but matters of 'taste'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA

Uh? I've never thought that you need other cables with headphones than those they come with ... still less, with headphones that are very fine as is
wink.gif

On the other hand, seemingly, there are phones with which focussing on the subtleties probably wouldn't be the smartest thought to have.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
On the other hand, seemingly, there are phones with which focussing on the subtleties probably wouldn't be the smartest thought to have.
biggrin.gif

I dont know if youre refering to my Grado + C Pads comment, but if you do not hear but a subtle difference when C Pads are on, I don't really see how you can appreciate the subtle sound of the HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back