Is the ε12 worth it?
Dec 7, 2008 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking of including one for my 3 channel B22. I don't mind the popping sounds but I am a bit afraid of the damage that the DC offsets can deal to my headphones. So is it worth it to build a ε12 for my B22? Will it degrade my sound quality in any way? Thanks.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 12
The Beta22 doesn't have DC offset, you zero it out when you set it up
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 12
... Neither should β22 emit any popping noise when being powered on or off.

On the other hand, a main function of the ε12 is to protect the headphones from an abnormal DC offset due to malfunction. Whether it's worth it or not depends on your comfort level with the reliability of your build.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Neither should β22 emit any popping noise when being powered on or off.

On the other hand, a main function of the ε12 is to protect the headphones from an abnormal DC offset due to malfunction. Whether it's worth it or not depends on your comfort level with the reliability of your build.

... and how thermally stable things are. For example, what's the DC offset right when the amp is turned on, 1 minute later, and 3 hours later...

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 12
Once it's been nulled with the trimpot, β22's DC offset should be quite stable, never varying more than a couple of mV this way or that. This is true whether the amp is just powered on, or after many hours (or days) of running.

The negative tempco of the MOSFETs doesn't affect DC offset, but it does reduce the quiescent current as the amp warms up, preventing thermal runaway.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 12
this wasn't the case with one that I fixed. Once the lid went on, the offset jumped up 20mV or so. Some of these builds are so packed in, that its not hard to believe that the MOSFET heat of one board is effecting the front end offset of another.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Heat alone isn't going to introduce DC offset. You'd have to have a significant heat gradient between β22's Q1 and Q2 (or Q3 and Q4) to make the DC offset drift away. Since these JFETs are located right next to each other this situation should be minimal, and on the v1.02 PCB you could even get the JFETs' flat faces to partially "hug" each other to really reduce these effects.

Nevertheless, 20mV of DC offset is far from harmful, and is much less than the trigger threshold of the ε12 protection circuit.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 12
If B22 doesn't really benefit from having an E12, what sort of amp would especially benefit from it? HV tube amp? Or any tube amp including hybrid?

The SOHA II board have one built in, I have heard someone mentioned that Millet SS would benefit from one.

So these are amps have a tendency to damage headphones when it is turned on or when parts fail?

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 12
Many amps emit a "pop" when turned on, as well as a big DC offset shift. A similar offset shift may also occur at turn-off. The muting/delay aspect of an ε12 would be good for such amps.

Almost any single-rail amp (but having no virtual ground) with a large-ish output coupling capacitor would fall into this group (and this includes most tube amps and tube-hybrids). Even some dual-rail SS amps exhibit turn-on noise.

β22 is a notable exception. Its fully complementary topology from input to output ensures all parts of the circuit bias up and down in symmetrical fashion. Along with the σ22 power supply which exhibits a very gentle voltage ramp-up when power is applied, and the tracking design means that the rail voltages are always equal, results in virtually noiseless turn-on and turn-off.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks again AMB.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad that I ordered one last night (yeah that was me
biggrin.gif
). I figured it would come in handy for my future tube/hybrid build. Man I became one of those who started hoarding parts for future build even when current build is far from over.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I became one of those who started hoarding parts for future build even when current build is far from over.
biggrin.gif

What do you mean "one of those?"

Hoarding is required by law after you finish your first working amp.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back