Is sub-bass a must in modern pop ahd hip hop tracks (with EDM elements)?
May 22, 2024 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

codythelucario

Head-Fier
I'm looking at acquiring a dt990 pro as a sidegrsfe to my hd600. I'm kinda strapped for cash but I can make do with a dt990 EQ'd for the tracks I listened to.

But for hip hop and pop is sub-bass crucial? Also does anyone use the hd600 for these tracks? I feel like the hd600s are satisfactory just not excelling like the dt990 pro are

May 23, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 3
Why 990 and not the 770 80 ohm?

The latter would provide that extension required to satisfy the sub bass need

Unless you just have to have open back like hd600

May 24, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 3
Imo, you want some decent bass extension to hear the bass drops in these genres. Closed would be best for that. But there are also some newer open headphones that seem to be getting a little better in this area. And most folk here seem to like the sound of open headphones better.

It is also best (imho) to buy headphones with good bass extension out-of-the-box, rather than trying to add it afterwards with EQ. Many open headphones will distort if you try to increase their sub-bass. Especially those with dynamic drivers. Open planars can be more forgiving in this regard, and will often have better sub-bass extension out of the box. But may not have the same punch or slam as a good dynamic driver headphone.

For reference, an acoustic kick drum can have a fundamental frequency in the 50-60 Hz range. So I look for headphones and speakers that can get at least that low, or preferably a bit lower. With F0 somewhere in the same range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back