Is Steve Jobs an Audiophile?
Mar 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #76 of 83
I'll bet Hitler was into high fidelity - or could have been if the nazis had spent less time on V2 rockets and more time on mylar diaphragms. Have you seen that YouTube iPad satire with footage from Downfall, where Hitler goes into a tirade over the iPad? I wonder how many audio offerings would have gotten its makers shot and strung up. Muddy bass! Tinny highs! Transient resonance! Bring me the design team from Bose!

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #77 of 83
Okay this question intrigued me so I fired an email to Mr. Jobs... hopefully he doesn't overlook it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #78 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people associate Steve Jobs selling nonaudiophile stuff as meaning he is not an audiophile? I mean, I could name all sorts of crazy characters who were into high fidelity who either directly or indirectly ruined hi-fi audio for other people. It's not even a form of hypocrisy, because being an audiophile does not mean you have to help others enjoy being audiophiles or whatever.

My definition of audiophile is if you've spent sufficient time worrying about whether product A or product B would be better in your audio setup.

The logic is that an audiophile truly appreciates quality audio. And one who truly appreciates quality audio would want to make sure that his products produce quality audio as long as profit does not suffer. It's the same superior mindset that I'm sure many of us here have when we see someone walking down the street with Skullcandies on and we think to ourselves "Man, I should tell him about Sennheiser/Grado/Koss."

And no offense, but I don't like your definition. It makes us all sound like obsessive-compulsive perfectionist gear-philes who only use music as a method with which to test out equipment. Not saying that we aren't, just saying that it's not flattering.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #79 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And no offense, but I don't like your definition. It makes us all sound like obsessive-compulsive perfectionist gear-philes who only use music as a method with which to test out equipment. Not saying that we aren't, just saying that it's not flattering.

I think the definition is, unfortunately, spot on. Regardless, I prefer audio enthusiast.

EDIT: Actually I think it's your characterization of the definition that is spot on. It describes most of the major "audiophile" publications out there today, and they're to blame for the less than flattering associations, imo. One of the mags did an article not to long ago on this issue and suggested something like "audio enthusiast" above. I'll try to dig up the link.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #81 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No offense, but there's obviously a tendency towards this. I mean it is a headphone forum first, with a small music thread that has minimal participation. If it were music first, then record quality wouldn't matter so much as the music, and how many of us can say that honestly?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #82 of 83
I'm sorry I wasn't clear, but did you read the rest of my paragraph or just that one sentence? But to clarify, I simply consider all DIY'ers to be audiophiles as they are driven by their love of audio reproduction to tweak for better sound, and consider all people who A/B components before or after purchase audiophiles. Someone who spends a few hours or days to contemplate the price/performance ratio of two skullcandies and even tries comparing their sound quality before buying is an audiophile, just maybe a little ignorant
smily_headphones1.gif
. Anyone who gives thought to the possibility of improving music reproduction by a new tweak or choosing the right new part or different speaker placement is an audiophile.

But someone who buys skullcandy for looks or equates the higher priced ones with being de facto "better" is not an audiophile, someone who buys a really expensive speaker system because he has money to blow on a status symbol with a THX logo but never cares about if his speaker placement is good or what's inside the setup and how things work or thinks sound quality is proportionate to money spent is not an audiophile.

And why the hell not, Nazi Germany had some audiophiles, it's why they did parades at night.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #83 of 83
To me, Steve Jobs comes across as a man who is satisfied with the simplist things. Seemingly, his iPods, macs, and iphones are meant to display simplicity and functionality. Simple and functional- makes me believe his audio gear is minimal at best.

May have a pair of Denon AH-D2000 and stops there.

Any thoughts?

As for the minimal bickering that constantly seems to happen to ponderous threads- there is no use telling someone their question is unintelligent, especially when it involves an exterior analyzation about someone's Audio personality.

hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back