Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
Jun 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #196 of 467
Quote:
I can't imagine the PMX680 at $40 sounding 5x as good as the HA-EB75, so I can say that the HA-EB75 is a better value than the PMX680,

Just like I  can't imagine that the hd800 would sound 200x better than your HA-EB75, we know that to get a significant increase in sound quality, you usually have to add a 0 to the price. Also beside technical achievement of each headphone, taste matters.

Quote:
The HA-EB75 is open, so it needs to be compared to open earphones. Of course it won't have as much bass as an IEM

The pmx680 are as open as your HA-EB75, and provide impressive bass. (at least it's the best bass I've ever heard from an ear bud).

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #197 of 467
Quote:
The PMX680 is probably good, however the JVC HA-EB75 sounds quite good and is only $8 on Amazon. The HA-EB75 is earbuds with earhooks. On the HA-EB75, the earhooks are rubber, adjustable, and very comfortable. I was curious about the PMX680, however after buying the JVC HA-EB75 and finding the sound quality much better than I expected, I am no longer curious about the PMX680.

Quote:
Well, I  didn't hear the JVC HA-EB75. The PMX680  are pretty good, at least if you want to run with them. They offer great bass, decent soundstage, tamed but unrefined highs. I  made a mistake by taking the PMX680i , they have an ipod volume control , and  also I  got them at an inflated price (90$, I was in a hurry).
I'm not too surprised that you find a 8$ ear bud enough good. Recently I've resisted to get the discontinued PMX980 , I  got a big doubt they  would match my taste, and that the gap in sound quality was enough big. I've seen someone comparing the MX980  to the much cheaper and comfy MX365.
I  was looking to something similar to k317(discontinued) , I  was in love with them before they broke.

Quote:
"I'm not too surprised that you find a 8$ ear bud enough good." It depends which $8 earbuds. Most of them sound horrible. Some JVC products provide great value. Their $13 HA-S160 headphone for example imo sounds better than the $40 Koss Portapro and almost as good as the $55 Sennheiser PX100II. Their $7 Riptidz IEM sounds better than many $20 IEMs. The $8 HA-EB75 sounds surprising good. It wouldn't surprise me if many think it sounds better than the $40 Sennheiser PMX680. A great $8 earphone might sound at least as good as others that are $40 or more.

Quote:
Hum ok, let's say it  better. I'm not surprised that you liked your 8$ ear bud , because I loved my 30$ k317, that I'm still missing , despite having now much more expensive headphones in my collection.
It makes no sense to say that your JVC HA-EB75 would provide better value than the pmx680, if you've never heard the PMX680.
The reason to get the PMX680, is that you want serious bass, while practicing exercises. They provide a cleaner sound, and more rewarding bass than ksc75,
which itself is said to sound better "than the $40 Koss porta pro".
And also I wouldn't dare to compare my broken k317 to the the PMX680, because they offer a very very different sound. With one the main strength is bass,
with the other it's treble.
And by the way I 've looked at reviews at amazon  of the HA-EB75, and some people are complaining these ear buds are unable to provide good bass.

Quote:
"It makes no sense to say that your JVC HA-EB75 would provide better value than the pmx680, if you've never heard the PMX680." It does make sense, as the HA-EB75 sounds quite good and is just $8. Perhaps the PMX680 might be slightly better than the HA-EB75(or it might not be better than the HA-EB75?) however since the HA-EB75 sounds so good, I can't imagine the PMX680 at $40 sounding 5x as good as the HA-EB75, so I can say that the HA-EB75 is a better value than the PMX680, even if it might not sound quite as good. The HA-EB75 sounds so much better than the KSC75. "And by the way I 've looked at reviews at amazon of the HA-EB75, and some people are complaining these ear buds are unable to provide good bass." The HA-EB75 is open, so it needs to be compared to open earphones. Of course it won't have as much bass as an IEM. At times it is important to use something open and keep the volume low. For better bass, when it is safe to use a closed earphone, the JVC Riptidz IEM would be a better choice instead of the HA-EB75.

Quote:
Just like I  can't imagine that the hd800 would sound 200x better than your HA-EB75, we know that to get a significant increase in sound quality, you usually have to add a 0 to the price. Also beside technical achievement of each headphone, taste matters.

The pmx680 are as open as your HA-EB75, and provide impressive bass. (at least it's the best bass I've ever heard from an ear bud).

Your debate, while intriguing to read,  is unfortunately  in this thread about the Clip. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #198 of 467
I am getting a hissing tone imbetween songs on my RB Clip+.  I only use IEMs and wonder if this is common. I find it annoyong and does interfere when listening to tracks that alternate volume.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #199 of 467

Your debate, while intriguing to read,  is unfortunately  in this thread about the Clip. 
wink_face.gif

I just noticed the PMX680 is now $50 on Amazon! I used to be a big Sennheiser fan, but now their pricing has gotten much too high. As for the Clip+ and Clip Zip, I am surprised that no other player makers are willing to step up and offer high quality players with a card slot for under $50. I like the Clip+, however I want more battery life. The battery life is only around 12 hours(don't tell me about getting more than that with Rockbox :) ).

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #200 of 467
Quote:

I just noticed the PMX680 is now $50 on Amazon! I used to be a big Sennheiser fan, but now their pricing has gotten much too high. As for the Clip+ and Clip Zip, I am surprised that no other player makers are willing to step up and offer high quality players with a card slot for under $50. I like the Clip+, however I want more battery life. The battery life is only around 12 hours(don't tell me about getting more than that with Rockbox :) ).

I'm just about to use my Zip (approx. 16 hours battery life) for the first time in several weeks, actually. I won't go grocery shopping without it! 
L3000.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #201 of 467
I think i got a fake sansa clip. Audio quality is just poor. Mids are recessed, highs are grainy and bass is muddy. They dont even come close to my galaxy y with jet audio. I upgraded to the latest firmware, i also rockboxed it, no noticeable change. Its a pain to listen to. Lifeless, grainy, compressed, no dynamics lifeless. It also says Sandisk instead of sana in front.

Overall poor SQ...not even mediocre...it has poor audio quality.

FLAC, MP3....all the same. I did not touch any of the settings...compression on RB on default.. Am i doing something wrong.? I have read somewhere that after the 1st charging, the sound improved. I hope this happens to me too.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #203 of 467
Quote:
I think i got a fake sansa clip. Audio quality is just poor. Mids are recessed, highs are grainy and bass is muddy. They dont even come close to my galaxy y with jet audio. I upgraded to the latest firmware, i also rockboxed it, no noticeable change. Its a pain to listen to. Lifeless, grainy, compressed, no dynamics lifeless. It also says Sandisk instead of sana in front.
Overall poor SQ...not even mediocre...it has poor audio quality.
FLAC, MP3....all the same. I did not touch any of the settings...compression on RB on default.. Am i doing something wrong.? I have read somewhere that after the 1st charging, the sound improved. I hope this happens to me too.

What are you using for earphones?

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #204 of 467
Just got the clip+. Stock firmware.

(normal i listen to asus st/hd600, so i guess i am used to a reasonable "decent" sound, not uber-fi, but no crap either).

At first i used the stock earplugs. No..no..just awfull (crap ie's).
Then i bought sennh. cx281 ie's.  No..no..agh..dissapointment.(too bright & harsh, no volume either, 40 euro wasted).

Then..with my hd595..yes..yes! Love it.

The little player seems to be a bit on the bright side tho, so the combo with cheap bright/harsh ie's is too much for me.
The EQ i find..very mediocre, so i do not use it.

But the player in itself is nice. Good detail/sound for such a cheap player.

All in all i have no regrets buying it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #205 of 467
To be fair it is a good player for the money....

Buy a 2-4GB one for like £30 and then add a 32Gb MicroSD for £15 - Thats £45 for a decent 32Gb player. If you set the EQ correctly it works ok... eg. put all 4 bands at 4 above normal and EQ from there. It has a bug otherwise where it does not work properly and sound very muffled.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #207 of 467
It is ok at flat but as soon as you move any of the sliders from that point it will go all muffled, for some reason if you put them all to 4 then you can move another bar to a different amount and it will not make everything muffled.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #208 of 467
Yes, you are right.

I remember, turning the bass a bit up, and noticed the treble muffling.
One would expect however, that such an issue would be resolved by a firmware update..(a long time ago! =).

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #209 of 467
Look closely and I think you will see that the Clip+ is not only the best sounding value player in this galaxy but also in any other!

R2D2+ screw The World Galaxy!

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #210 of 467
Quote:
Yes, you are right.

I remember, turning the bass a bit up, and noticed the treble muffling.
One would expect however, that such an issue would be resolved by a firmware update..(a long time ago! =).

If you want to fix it, and have not only a vastly improved EQ but much better battery life, then you install Rockbox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back